• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

T-Rex (Sand Scoop) Opinions???

Marty115

I am looking for a light weight scoop to replace my Rtg scoop. I am looking at the dry sand model of this scoop ( it comes in a wet sand version also). 8” width with 1/4” square holes and a carbon fiber handle. $320 total. Also can I get it longer carbon shaft than 48👌“. Where? Any objection concerning this model? Thanks

Attachments

• 0CA64C84-9C07-408A-84ED-091D46577630.jpeg
    0CA64C84-9C07-408A-84ED-091D46577630.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,256
YES! I have a HUGE objection.

Here's my story and its familiar with others. I had the TRex 9.5 for about 4 months. At the time I only hunted dry and wet sand. I would most always dig a full scoop when in the wet. At the time I hunted about 30 hrs a week.

I went to the beach, dug a target on the high slope of the wet sand and my TRex nearly snapped in 1/2. Broke right down the line of a weld on both sides. Basically split in half. Not more than a few days later a buddy of mine who actually turned me on to the TREX because he swore by it because it was so "beefy" had his snap the same way. I called the number on the TRex website and a guy answered the phone with a baby in the back ground. I told him what happened and he basically called me a liar. Saying there's NO way you can break a TREX in the wet sand. I debated with him for about 5 minutes. Only thing he offered was for me to return it on my dime, they would then send it to their welder (in another state) on my dime and if it was deemed REPAIRABLE, they would repair it.. NOT REPLACE IT! :mad: Screw that! I paid some guy down the street a little money and he welded it up. Then about 2 wks later it let go at another spot.
I then went and got a Stealth 920ix and its been about 3 yrs of constant use and its still rocking...... DONT GET A TREX. Besides the product sucking, the customer service is even worse!

Not the lightest in the world. Me and my GF have them. I custom modded and welded mine. My GF's split and I redid the welds and its held up for years with no issue. Problem is they try to make the welds pretty and it winds up being too thin and splits. I added an inner angle and it is real strong now. Factory ones? Not so much! I'm gonna test one of the other popular knock offs next year since I can weld any issues with stainless. Forgot to add. getting hit in the ankle in the surf with one of the rear corners hurts real bad. Ask me how I know:lol:

It’s good that you can reweld the problems that the manufacturer failed to make good from the get go. I to noticed that the welds were for looks more than function. I have a 220 mig and could weld with stainless now too but at the time I didn’t. The weight of the scoop keeps it hanging in my garage. If I get caught up in heavy erosion with clay and rocks maybe I’ll reinforce it and beat it to death but for now it’s deemed a waste of my money

Design Challenge

YES! I have a HUGE objection.

Here's my story and its familiar with others. I had the TRex 9.5 for about 4 months. At the time I only hunted dry and wet sand. I would most always dig a full scoop when in the wet. At the time I hunted about 30 hrs a week.

I went to the beach, dug a target on the high slope of the wet sand and my TRex nearly snapped in 1/2. Broke right down the line of a weld on both sides. Basically split in half. Not more than a few days later a buddy of mine who actually turned me on to the TREX because he swore by it because it was so "beefy" had his snap the same way. I called the number on the TRex website and a guy answered the phone with a baby in the back ground. I told him what happened and he basically called me a liar. Saying there's NO way you can break a TREX in the wet sand. I debated with him for about 5 minutes. Only thing he offered was for me to return it on my dime, they would then send it to their welder (in another state) on my dime and if it was deemed REPAIRABLE, they would repair it.. NOT REPLACE IT! :mad: Screw that! I paid some guy down the street a little money and he welded it up. Then about 2 wks later it let go at another spot.
I then went and got a Stealth 920ix and its been about 3 yrs of constant use and its still rocking...... DONT GET A TREX. Besides the product sucking, the customer service is even worse!

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kevin4332/media/20150707_091730.jpg.html]

Anybody can build a tank of a scoop and call is strong. Building a light scoop that lasts like a tank is a different story. Basically these builders are not design engineers and probably ask a welder (with no engineering knowledge or for that matter, not hunters) to make them a scoop :lol:

Having been in the hobby for over 30 years I know personally what it feels like when equipment breaks down. There are many details built into the Stealth that make it last. When i see a new kid on the block I just keep my mouth shut!!!!!!!!!! why tell the competition how to solve their design problems. I hate to say it but the buyers of these junk scoops have to learn the hard way :cool:

Chuck

I have had a T Rex the 8" got rid of it quick. To heavy and not deep enough. I bought the Stealth 920 IX and love it. Plus Chuck has the best service in the industry. And a life time warranty never any questions. It is the best scoop out there by far. You may pay a little bit more. But the old saying holds true. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Buy it once and save yourself some money Sun Spot Scoops.

Not the lightest in the world. Me and my GF have them. I custom modded and welded mine. My GF's split and I redid the welds and its held up for years with no issue. Problem is they try to make the welds pretty and it winds up being too thin and splits. I added an inner angle and it is real strong now. Factory ones? Not so much! I'm gonna test one of the other popular knock offs next year since I can weld any issues with stainless. Forgot to add. getting hit in the ankle in the surf with one of the rear corners hurts real bad. Ask me how I know:lol:

Yes what Larry said. Mine split where the handle goes into the scoop area and they replaced it free. The added a brace to that area in the newer models . Then it split down the side like the other pictures are showing and Larry welded it and it's been fantastic since! THOUGH it is heavy! I now have a sore elbow after hunts but I'm getting old :)

I used to use the wooden home depot handles but broke 3 over 2 years so now I have a carbon fiber shaft and so far a year later it's still holding up strong.

I like the wider opening for water hunts. Easier to not miss the target.

I might someday go to one of the lighter scoops from Stavr if it gets any more painful as I get older.

T rex

Seen a lot of weld issue's and complaint's on them, i would stay away from them, also they hold the weight record , heavy is ok , if the scoop holds up without breaking in my opinion, design flaws , and or welds , makes this scoop weak, currently there are TWO high end scoop makers in the US now today, it's not a hard choice .

Not bad from what I've heard. For the cf shaft I've got 51" And 57" travel shafts. Send me a pm if interested and I will send 1 out this week.
They are travel shafts with 4mm or 6mm lower sidewall...

I am looking for a light weight scoop to replace my Rtg scoop. I am looking at the dry sand model of this scoop ( it comes in a wet sand version also). 8” width with 1/4” square holes and a carbon fiber handle. $320 total. Also can I get it longer carbon shaft than 48👌“. Where? Any objection concerning this model? Thanks

Marty, Steve's handles are incredibly strong. I've taken them on my island vacations this year and have put them through the riggers while digging with my monster, Stealth 720. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to swing by and check them out. Here are some pics, keep in mind these are the tall-man shafts and the scale shows both diameters.

-David

Attachments

• CF.jpg
    CF.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,104
  • CF2.jpg
    CF2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,088
  • CF3.jpg
    CF3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,041
  • cf4.jpg