How often do you get turned down?

I've only been flat-out denied one time. (Last week from an amusement park). I'm assuming it was a liability issue, whatever the case, the answer was just "no".

Never. But of course I do carry a badge.:lol:
Seriously, I don't ask that often but have yet to be turned down. I just asked and recieved permission on Monday to hunt a private residence. Found my first War Nickel!:yes: Guess its just the way you approach them and if you happen to "connect". :police: Good Luck and HH!

I've probably been denied permission about 50% of the time, but many of my requests involved private property that was for sale, so I can relate to the worries of sellers wanting to keep their land looking good. I was also denied permission to hunt an old closed school, but I got a very kind letter from the county legal department explaining their policies and position. I don't think I was ever denied in a situation where I was face-to-face with someone. Don't take denials personally, and don't get discouraged. You can always ask someone, maybe on this forum, to review your method of asking permission to see if it could be refined. Good luck!

I have never been turned down but once because the older gentleman wanted his grandson to be the first to hunt it, he was very nice and asked me to come back and have coffee with him sometime. I'm sure I will get to hunt it one day.

I will often take some of my goodies that I have found at other sites like rings merc's etc. to show the people some of the things I have found at other sites and it really peaks their interest, and goes a long way sometimes in obtaining permission.

Our city parks are free to hunt in where I live. Likewise most cities that I travel to are also ok. I would check with your local branches, agencys, and municipalities to see what the policy is where you live. Good Luck!

Private properties:
Face to face, I am almost always granted access. Phone calls, it's 50/50

City/State/Fed:
My city has never given me any issue. I hunt anything owned by the city and have never been asked to leave.
Any property owned by my state is off limits period. I have tried to work around this and they will not budge. Called the department of transportation a couple weeks back looking to hunt some farms that had been demolished for a highway expansion and was not only given a "NO", she wasn't kind about it. This law is soon to be changing (I hope) with stipulations, but until now, gotta stay on city/Private property.

I was detecting at a small village park yesterday
and while digging my second hole a car pulls in and
a gentleman gets out and says sir you must stop you
can't dig here it's all historical and protected in this area on
this side of the river. Come to find out after talking for a few mins
he's the mayor and he was just stopping to unlock
the rec-hall for someone. I thanked him for letting me
know I couldn't detect there for I was happy he had told me
rather than a state trooper which have a station in the village.
I suggested maybe putting some signs up saying detecting
was prohibited. So much for me thinking all public parks were
fairgame..

Hopefully when WI state government gets the permits sytem in place it will help encourage MN to do it too. I'm not holding by breath though, MN has some problems with due process if it challenges any kind of institution or business... we'll see.
Private properties:
Face to face, I am almost always granted access. Phone calls, it's 50/50

City/State/Fed:
My city has never given me any issue. I hunt anything owned by the city and have never been asked to leave.
Any property owned by my state is off limits period. I have tried to work around this and they will not budge. Called the department of transportation a couple weeks back looking to hunt some farms that had been demolished for a highway expansion and was not only given a "NO", she wasn't kind about it. This law is soon to be changing (I hope) with stipulations, but until now, gotta stay on city/Private property.

I have only been turned down twice and on both occasions (probably same culprit) the reason was the last person who detected there left their holes open and they didnt want a repeat of that.

No matter how much I tried to tell them I would leave no traces behind it didnt matter.

Back
Top Bottom