Any BH Detector in the 8" coin range in Real Life use?

TCosbyJr

Forum Supporter
I know the advertised depths of any metal detector are inflated (just like everything else in life). I'm not sure if the advertised coin depths are done with wet ground and a test bed, bald faced lies, or the absolute best conditions to be found outside of the real world.

Now that I've used my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV out detecting just short of 30 hours in a variety of locations/soil/weather/and coil sizes I have a good idea of it's potential. I'm still learning, but the maximum depth I have ever found a coin is in the 4" to short of 5" mark with the standard 8" coil (which actually measures 8 1/4"). Using my 4" Gold Nugget coil gets nearly the same results with a little less depth.

The soil in my Indiana area is not highly mineralized or anything and is mainly a typical topsoil but can vary to clay or even a sand mix. I have never seen the ocean, let alone ever plan to dig in it or on any beach so wet sand/black sand/salt levels/water/etc. are of no concern to me.

It seems the rule is to cut the advertised depth in half to find the real maximum depth to be expected. My BH Tracker IV claims 8" on coins but as mentioned does only half of that.

My dad has a Garrett Ace 250 and detects coins that my MD does not make a signal on even in all metal mode with no discrimination. It's a bit disheartening to know I am leaving behind many treasures, and I'd like to find a MD that has the depth to find them.

I have been researching all other BH brand detectors trying to find one with a real depth maximum range of 8". It seems most silver and old coin finds are found typically in the 6" to 9" range so I am looking to find a MD that really can detect to that depth.

I would like to stay with the Bounty Hunter brand as I have invested in the optional coils and other products, that way I can continue to use them with another MD. I like the BH detectors ability to get started quickly at a site, and often out pace others in total finds that I have been detecting with - and I have never left empty handed. Also it seems nearly all BH MD can be purchased quite reasonably new or used in the $200 range - and likely available local as they are popular and low priced.

If anyone has a Bounty Hunter metal detector and would like to respond with their typical maximum coin depth it would be much appreciated. I have found nearly all models are available online or in store for $200 or less - so the real question is which model actually gets the coin depth.

I also know the company First Texas makes other brands/names that are the same detectors, or can use the Bounty Hunter coils and such so any information on those would be great too.

I have been pouring over new and discontinued BH models looking for information and here are the advertised depths for the models I could find information on (seems some don't like to advertise a depth, which obviously makes me think they are very shallow depth MD's). I put them in groups based on depth and in alphabetical order --

Pioneer 501 - Coins 11", Large Objects 5'
Pioneer 503 - Coins 11", Large Objects 5'
Pioneer 505 - Coins 11", Large Objects 5'

Camo LS - Coins 10", Large Objects 5'
Discovery 3300 - (Same as Legacy 3500) Coins 10", Large Objects 4'
LandStar - Coins 10"
Pioneer 202 - Coins 10", Large Objects 4'

Discovery 2200 - Coins 8", Large Objects 3'
Lone Star - Coins 8", Large Objects 3'
Pioneer 101 - (Same as Tracker IV) Coins 8", Large Objects 3'
Quick Draw II - Coins 8", Large Objects 3'
Quick Silver - Coins 8", Large Objects 3'
Tracker IV - Coins 8", Large Objects 3'

Fast Tracker - Coins 7"

Discovery 1100 - Coins 6", Large Objects 2'
Pioneer EX - Coins 6", Large Objects 2'

from previous research discovery 3300 or pioneer 505 is your best bet.

Those were my bets as well from what I could find out too. As the Discovery Legacy 3500 is the same as the Discovery 3300 it is a option as well.

I was originally looking at the Pioneer 202, but as the Tracker IV is a Pioneer 101 with different stickers, I decided it wasn't a big enough step. That is why I made this thread hoping someone could give me some guidance.

I really do hope one of the BH MDs can fit the bill as it seems many other brands sell coils that cost more than any detector I could buy - BH is a much more affordable option.

Of course if I ever hit the lottery or get a find worth a small fortune I may look to do a major upgrade. :laughing:

I have the 505. The reason the bounty hunters are under $200 is because they aren't high end machines. They aren't bad machines, but you aren't going to hit coins at 11". I found 6" is pretty much the limit on the 505. I've hit dimes at 9 to 10 with the AT Pro and they were VERY quiet signals. You're better off using the tracker 4 until you can save up for a higher level machine. If you spend another $200 on another beginner's machine, you're basically wasting your money and will be disappointed.

The bounty hunter platinum will hit coins at the depth you are looking for, it is $300 instead of $200 but you can get it used for the price you are looking for. Also teknetics is a good option. I have a Delta 4000 inbound that I will most likely sell, and probably for the price you are looking to spend...

I have the 505. The reason the bounty hunters are under $200 is because they aren't high end machines. They aren't bad machines, but you aren't going to hit coins at 11". I found 6" is pretty much the limit on the 505. I've hit dimes at 9 to 10 with the AT Pro and they were VERY quiet signals. You're better off using the tracker 4 until you can save up for a higher level machine. If you spend another $200 on another beginner's machine, you're basically wasting your money and will be disappointed.

Thanks for weighing in on the Pioneer 505 Oldsjunkie. I have nothing but respect for the BH machines as they are affordable, great at finding targets, and got me back digging.

To be honest I listed 8" as I hoped to find a BH MD that would add about two inches of depth beyond my Tracker IV in my finds in real life use. It appears the Pioneer 505 and Land Ranger are the two that will do that for me.

Seems to me digging anything beyond that depth range would be a chore and take the fun out of it. As there are high traffic areas that I have dug and it seems I cut the dirt into paper thin wedges more than I was able to dig - and the recovery time was horrible. Then again depending what it is I would dig the biggest crater ever seen. :laughing:

Nah, if I can get a MD used in the price range and still use my current coils I would be one happy detectorist for a very long time to come. :thumbsup:

The bounty hunter platinum will hit coins at the depth you are looking for, it is $300 instead of $200 but you can get it used for the price you are looking for. Also teknetics is a good option. I have a Delta 4000 inbound that I will most likely sell, and probably for the price you are looking to spend...

The BH Platinum looks just like a Teknetics Gamma 6000. Indeed I bet I could find a good deal on a used model. The only downside I've seen is that my coils will not work on the Platinum (different frequency); however, the Fisher F5 coils will work on it too.

Thanks for the idea of the Teknetics. I wasn't sure of the depth they offered, but seeing how they will truly reach the depth they are certainly a option.

At the moment I've been "window shopping" (i.e. flat broke). Seems if I have a dollar I am ready to jump on a bargain, so I figured it is best to look and research before finding something.

You can get another inch, inch and a half of depth by mounting the 10" coil on the Tracker...8" on a coin is possible on a real good day, but the norm is 4-5 inches. I went thru the same dilemma looking for depth, as most areas around here are hunted hard and the first 6" of dirt is picked clean. My final solution was to ditch the Bounty Hunter and invest in a top shelf detector that paid for itself in less than a year...

You can get another inch, inch and a half of depth by mounting the 10" coil on the Tracker...8" on a coin is possible on a real good day, but the norm is 4-5 inches. I went thru the same dilemma looking for depth, as most areas around here are hunted hard and the first 6" of dirt is picked clean. My final solution was to ditch the Bounty Hunter and invest in a top shelf detector that paid for itself in less than a year...

A larger coil isn't possible in most areas I hunt due to the trash, in most cases I use my 4" gold nugget to get anything beyond constant beeps.

I'm on the fence on getting a BH Discovery 3300 MD or taking the plunge into the Teknetics product line. Either way I'll stick with the First Texas products as I am a happy customer just looking for a bit more depth.

I guess you did the same in that regard too, as you probably know, First Texas company makes Bounty Hunter, Teknetics, and Fisher MD's. :thumbsup:

I was of course outbid on eBay no shock there, several times, so I went looking. I found out even more on the Discovery 3300 MD.

The BH Discovery 3300, stats from the Bounty Hunter's website for it says, "Coin-sized objects 10” deep; larger objects up to 4'." I've read several reviews that the MD finds dimes up to 9" and quarters in the 10" to 11" range typically, and some said even deeper.

Then add in the features such as LCD display, manual and preset ground balance options, notch capabilities, 4 audio tones, target ID indicator, 3 digit target numerical value, pinpointing mode, depth indicator, adjustable arm rest, etc. etc. - and the fact my 4" Gold Nugget Coil and others fit it and the customer reviews, well I'm just as excited as can be about it.

As I have no problem getting payments, just all at once seems impossible, I found a distributor that sells the MD in three monthly payments. I'm not sure of the forum policy on linking to distributors or such so I'll tell you it is the first listing on Google for the search term discovery 3300 easy pay.

What a offer, I pay the first payment and shipping and I get my new MD! It's like layaway without the wait. No interest, charges, or anything - and the MD is only about $30 more than the cheapest I found online.

I have the Discovery 3300 ordered new from a distributor and it should arrive Tuesday or sooner. This time I'll leave it stock so I get the 5 year warranty too. I can't wait to try it out! :digginahole:

I really hope you don't have those expectations of 11" out of your detector in finding a coin... That performance is most likely in optimal conditions and probably tested in a lab. Sometimes not even the top of line detectors costing 10 times more achieve 11" on a coin. Than I must not even comment on the 4 feet on larger objects, maybe a trailer truck could be found at that distance but anything smaller would just be impossible.

I really hope you don't have those expectations of 11" out of your detector in finding a coin... That performance is most likely in optimal conditions and probably tested in a lab. Sometimes not even the top of line detectors costing 10 times more achieve 11" on a coin. Than I must not even comment on the 4 feet on larger objects, maybe a trailer truck could be found at that distance but anything smaller would just be impossible.

Nah, I agree that is some depth. I am just looking for a increased depth of more than I have now, 6" or better and I would be more than happy as that would really add to my finds. Any depth I get beyond the 6" range is just gravy. I figured for the new feature/options and the added depth it is well worth the price - and in payments I could afford. :thumbsup:

I'm still using a BH 505, for over 3 yrs now, simply b/c I'm flat broke. :( My neighbor's property are colonial and I'm simply dying to get a real relic machine, so I have pushed this BH to find stuff in the meantime. I meant to but never did post my extensive review of all the available coils, so I need to do that.

So to make this short-n-sweet, if you can't afford a mid-level detector or better, then get the coil for a Fisher F4 11" DD w/push-on style connector. Unfortunately, it is pricey but it's worth it.

I borrowed my brother-in-law coil last fall for 3 months (he was deer hunting anyway). At first I didn't like it b/c it was so different than the concentric BH coils, but once I mastered it .... I loved it :yes: This one coil will ID objects deeper than the 10" coil AND has the target separation of the 4" coil. The 8" & 10" coils depth is only achieved in the very center, where the DD coil is the entire length of the coil (basically 1.5" down the center). Essentially, you can cover more ground with the DD coil, get better depth, while getting separation. :D

Since giving back the 11" DD coil, I can't stand using the 10" (not at trashy sites). To make matters worse, I've been using my dad's AT Pro (over 90hrs so far) at first to help him learn how to use it and now whenever he doesn't have the strength to swing it for hours.

On ALL detectors, deeper objects read/ID lower. In my experience (your soil type will greatly effect depth) on the BH w/8" coil, proper IDing of an object dropped off after 4"`4.5" range. 10" coil at 5"ish range and 11" around 5.5" ~6".

My deepest COIN target was an 1809 Half Cent at 8.5" using the 10" coil in a non-iron infested area (sorry didn't have the 11" DD at that point to compare). It was iffy signal for sure, but in old sites you dig anything above iron.

Hope this helps!

I'm still using a BH 505, for over 3 yrs now, simply b/c I'm flat broke. :( My neighbor's property are colonial and I'm simply dying to get a real relic machine, so I have pushed this BH to find stuff in the meantime. I meant to but never did post my extensive review of all the available coils, so I need to do that.

So to make this short-n-sweet, if you can't afford a mid-level detector or better, then get the coil for a Fisher F4 11" DD w/push-on style connector. Unfortunately, it is pricey but it's worth it.

I borrowed my brother-in-law coil last fall for 3 months (he was deer hunting anyway). At first I didn't like it b/c it was so different than the concentric BH coils, but once I mastered it .... I loved it :yes: This one coil will ID objects deeper than the 10" coil AND has the target separation of the 4" coil. The 8" & 10" coils depth is only achieved in the very center, where the DD coil is the entire length of the coil (basically 1.5" down the center). Essentially, you can cover more ground with the DD coil, get better depth, while getting separation. :D

Since giving back the 11" DD coil, I can't stand using the 10" (not at trashy sites). To make matters worse, I've been using my dad's AT Pro (over 90hrs so far) at first to help him learn how to use it and now whenever he doesn't have the strength to swing it for hours.

On ALL detectors, deeper objects read/ID lower. In my experience (your soil type will greatly effect depth) on the BH w/8" coil, proper IDing of an object dropped off after 4"`4.5" range. 10" coil at 5"ish range and 11" around 5.5" ~6".

My deepest COIN target was an 1809 Half Cent at 8.5" using the 10" coil in a non-iron infested area (sorry didn't have the 11" DD at that point to compare). It was iffy signal for sure, but in old sites you dig anything above iron.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the write-up. I have heard great things about the Fisher F4 coil, and if it works just as well as a 4" in trash (with depth) I'll be sure to get the Fisher F4 11" DD w/push-on style connector when I can. :D

I'm interested in reading details about other available coils for the BH line - drop me a note when you do write the thread. :thumbsup:

Indeed I've read that target ID seems to loose accuracy on nearly any MD as the depth increases. No worries there, I'm primarily a beep and dig kind of guy anyway. Great to know it is around the mid-range when it fails. I'll be sure to learn my new MD and do plenty of digging till I get comfortable in what it is telling me.

Being flat broke sure doesn't help. I manged a upgrade as it was split payments over three months - otherwise if I was simply trying to save the money it would have been spent elsewhere (something always comes up).

Me and my wife live with my folks for several reasons, the main one is so someone is home with my mom while my father is at work. She was in a bad car wreak several years ago and has been having issues, and partially handicapped, since then.

I work as a freelance illustrator online to help out and it keeps me at home to help her as well. Her favorite thing is to play in her flowerbeds and restore the woodwork of her old 2 story home. She supervises me doing the work most times but it sure lifted her spirits.

MDing is a great hobby and it gets me out of the house. :D As a bonus I have lost about 12 pounds since I started June 4th this year.

If you can find any money each month you should talk to Mike at Woodland Detectors, he has a great layaway option (you get your MD once the payments are done but is willing to work on the amounts you pay). Takes $50 to start. There are also some other MD sites that have similar options such as Kellyco.

Take care and HH.

I wish there were more coils, but as far as I know this is the complete list for most BHs:
4" Gold Nugget
8" concentric
10" concentric
10.25" Magnum concentric
11" Fisher DD

Now there are other BHs that have 7" coils and such.

If I only had one coil on my BH, it would be the 11" DD...period. No real need to take it off except to hunt along a metal fence or building using the 4" coil.

Sorry to hear about your mom :( It's hard to get real sympathy anymore. I found it helps to have broke friends to laugh about how crappy things are at times. :yes: I really enjoy this hobby as it takes my mind off things/stress/"circling the drain". At least I know that I can still detect even if I end up in a van down by river :lol:

I wish there were more coils, but as far as I know this is the complete list for most BHs:
4" Gold Nugget
8" concentric
10" concentric
10.25" Magnum concentric
11" Fisher DD

Now there are other BHs that have 7" coils and such.

If I only had one coil on my BH, it would be the 11" DD...period. No real need to take it off except to hunt along a metal fence or building using the 4" coil.

Sorry to hear about your mom :( It's hard to get real sympathy anymore. I found it helps to have broke friends to laugh about how crappy things are at times. :yes: I really enjoy this hobby as it takes my mind off things/stress/"circling the drain". At least I know that I can still detect even if I end up in a van down by river :lol:

Great list of coils, a few I didn't know of. Interesting there are 7" too bad there are not 6" as it would be middle of the road between 4" and 8". Then again with the 11" Fisher DD no need.

I had a chance to get a 10" magnum but with my areas having so much trash I passed. Seems like that was a good idea, I'll just invest in the 11" DD instead.

Yeah thanks, she is quite pleased about the living situation and at least is much happier as she always has someone to play/joke/harass with. Indeed as long as a set of batteries can be found detecting can be done. A added bonus is you never know what you might find next :D

if the discovery is anywhere close to its sisters f2 and f4 you will be very pleased.

I think so too. I'll be out in the yard getting to know it as soon as I get the box open - which USPS says will be this Saturday. I'll be sure to report about the MD once I get out to some places and try it out over the weekend. :thumbsup:

If you are interested in the Pioneer 505 shoot me a PM and I can cut you a really good deal on one...

Back
Top Bottom