1943 non silver Jefferson nickel

Wom 27

Elite Member
They made some right ? I asked this back ‘15. Then I had found a ‘42. I’d post a picture but I’m beat '! So, dose anybody know ? I mean they must have made some ‘cause I found on tonite but dose it have any value ? Is it rare at all ?

Does it have a large letter over the monument and what makes you believe it doesn’t contain a certain percentage of silver? I’ve seen some really BAD looking war nickels that others have found that would lead me to assume the same thing...no silver.

I have dug a couple 1942 non-silver nickles and at least a half dozen 43 silver ones. Never heard of a 43 non-silver and USA Coinbook makes no reference on one. You might want to try a little cleaner wax. I have been surprised a few times on cleanup that crusty old nickel was in fact a silver war nickel. Good luck Mark

Some times

They made some right ? I asked this back ‘15. Then I had found a ‘42. I’d post a picture but I’m beat '! So, dose anybody know ? I mean they must have made some ‘cause I found on tonite but dose it have any value ? Is it rare at all ?

Just this week, one example. HH Mark

Attachments

• 20181213_154427.jpg
    20181213_154427.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 294
You’re so beat you can’t post a picture? Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver war nickels had the mint mark top center on the reverse

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

What I’m asking, in ‘43, if they weren’t all silver, how many were made without silver? This has no mintmark . I can’t find any info on how many without silver were made. Was it half and half or is it rare to find a non silver veriety?

I have dug a couple 1942 non-silver nickles and at least a half dozen 43 silver ones. Never heard of a 43 non-silver and USA Coinbook makes no reference on one. You might want to try a little cleaner wax. I have been surprised a few times on cleanup that crusty old nickel was in fact a silver war nickel. Good luck Mark

Still that doesn’t explain no mintmark. I’ve found my share and for sure it’s not silver and the date is ‘43 cleat as can be.

Still that doesn’t explain no mintmark. I’ve found my share and for sure it’s not silver and the date is ‘43 cleat as can be.

Maybe it's a 1948? Never heard of a 1943 without the large mink mark over Monticello.

Or counterfeit? Or maybe a grease filled die error?

I've never heard of 1943 no mintmark nickels, but there are 1944 no mintmark nickels to be had.

They are counterfeits called Henning nickels and they were produced in 1954, the work of a renowned counterfeiter by the name of Francis Leroy Henning.

Besides the telltale lack of a wartime located mintmark above Monticello, they also were minted with a copper nickel alloy similar to non-WWII US nickels.

Henning also made counterfeit nickels with at least four other dates: 1939, 1946, 1947 and 1953.

You won't get rich if you find one, but they do have a bit of collectible value.

I'd have to check a reference to be sure, but as I recall the Jefferson Nickel was 35% silver from October 31st 1942 to December 31st 1945. I've never seen any reference to a non silver Jefferson Nickel made during this time period.

I've never heard of 1943 no mintmark nickels, but there are 1944 no mintmark nickels to be had.

They are counterfeits called Henning nickels and they were produced in 1954, the work of a renowned counterfeiter by the name of Francis Leroy Henning.

Besides the telltale lack of a wartime located mintmark above Monticello, they also were minted with a copper nickel alloy similar to non-WWII US nickels.

Henning also made counterfeit nickels with at least four other dates: 1939, 1946, 1947 and 1953.

You won't get rich if you find one, but they do have a bit of collectible value.
More info:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=8483

What I’m asking, in ‘43, if they weren’t all silver, how many were made without silver? This has no mintmark . I can’t find any info on how many without silver were made. Was it half and half or is it rare to find a non silver veriety?

Ok, you guys were right. The mint mark couldn’t be seen by naked eye. Just worn I guess. Showed up with a jewelers loop.

Back
Top Bottom