Scrutiny on the Bounty

Soil Surgeon

Forum Supporter
I haven't had a chance to do any detecting in quite some time . Today I finally got the opportunity . As a birthday present my brother in law recently gave me a Bounty Hunter he picked up at garage sale . I took it to the local park and hit the wood chips . Luckily it was rather cold and I had the whole place to myself . I was there for an hour and forty - five minutes and scored what you see in the picture . The detector was light and the few tones it had were very easy on the ears . I had a very enjoyable time . If anyone knows what model this is please tell me so I can find an online manual to unload so I can figure out how to use the notch feature . I probably wouldn't use it much anyway but it's nice to know how to .

Attachments

• IMG_1276 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1276 (640x480).jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1277 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1277 (640x480).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 250
Looks something like my older Lone Star but I don't think it is. There probably isn't much difference though and the manuals should be about the same. Never underestimate Bounty Hunters. I gave one to my boys trying to get them interested in detecting. They are more into video games. I think they used it once and put it in the closet. After a couple of years I told them that if they weren't going to use it to give it back. It rode around in my trunk for a couple of months until I decided to see if it still worked. I picked a trashy area in a local park. Getting junk readings I moved to a clearer area where I got a quarter reading. Most of the coins I find in this park are about four inches deep. After digging over five I figured that it was either junk or I hadn't pinpointerd it since it didn't have a pinpoint mode. I got another detector and it was right on so I figured that it had to be junk. Curious to see what it was I jammed away and scratched a 1937 Mercury at a little over six inches. I didn't think they would go that deep. I tried again and the batteries went dead. They were still the same ones in it when I gave it to my boys.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Silversmith , I'll take a look at a few Bounty Hunter manuals and
see if one will work for this model . Both my Son and later his Son lost interest in metal detecting and are now avid "gamers" . My Grand daughter has detected with me a few times and likes it but she lives a ways away and I don't see her as often as I would like . I sure hope she sticks with it . Your story on the Merc confirms my theory that this little detector has some punch . Even though the targets I dug today weren't that deep they rang strong enough that I knew it could read deeper .

When I first started detecting I had a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202. They drained a nearby lake and over the next couple years I went to work on the swimming area. It was my training ground. I easily put $1,000 in my pocket between all the coins and jewelry. I found 9 class rings (returned 5!),and loads of jewelry. I would definitely not underestimate the Bounty Hunter!

I bought a bounty hunter for $30 at bargain hunt. My son uses it and makes me jealous sometimes. He found his first ring with it. A junk ring but a ring!

Thanks for the info Silversmith , I'll take a look at a few Bounty Hunter manuals and
see if one will work for this model . Both my Son and later his Son lost interest in metal detecting and are now avid "gamers" . My Grand daughter has detected with me a few times and likes it but she lives a ways away and I don't see her as often as I would like . I sure hope she sticks with it . Your story on the Merc confirms my theory that this little detector has some punch . Even though the targets I dug today weren't that deep they rang strong enough that I knew it could read deeper .

Mine is an older Lone Star. They have a newer model of it too. if she doesn't have one, you might buy your Grand daughter a detector to keep her interested.

Mine is an older Lone Star. They have a newer model of it too. if she doesn't have one, you might buy your Grand daughter a detector to keep her interested.

I gave her a Tesoro Amigo 2 after our first hunt which she likes a lot . We will be driving up to her house for her little sisters 2nd Birthday party this weekend but it's going to be one of those big family affairs where people would probably (I would say most definitely ) get rubbed the wrong way if we cut out and went metal detecting . I'm going to try to set something up for Christmas vacation .
As far has my new to me Bounty Hunter , I've been scouring the internet but have not yet found one like it . Does your Lone Star have notch ?
A funny thing is , there is no model number or name on this detector just
" Bounty Hunter " on the arm rest cup .

That looks like an old RadioShack detector I had years ago.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

That looks like an old RadioShack detector I had years ago.

Yup its a Radioshack discovery 2000 I believe... Not far off from a bounty hunter though, almost identical. Fun machines! Good luck out there!

As far has my new to me Bounty Hunter , I've been scouring the internet but have not yet found one like it . Does your Lone Star have notch ?
A funny thing is , there is no model number or name on this detector just
" Bounty Hunter " on the arm rest cup .

Yes it has called an auto notch. Here is a picture of it. It's not the newer Lone Star. I believe that Bounty Hunter made detectors for Radio Shack.
Lone Star.jpg

Yes it has called an auto notch. Here is a picture of it. It's not the newer Lone Star. I believe that Bounty Hunter made detectors for Radio Shack.
View attachment 431150

Wow , the placement of the nobs , gauges and screws are all the same on my detector , the only difference is the color scheme on the face plate . Thanks once again for your input Silversmith .:waytogo:

I found five rings (one sterling, the others costume) a mercury dime and buckets of clad with my BH Discovery 3300 within the first couple months (It's selling for $85 at Costco right now). I've since upgraded to the Equinox 800, but I still have a lot of love for my first baby. It was terrible near saltwater, but everywhere else seemed great!

Yup its a Radioshack discovery 2000 I believe... Not far off from a bounty hunter though, almost identical. Fun machines! Good luck out there!

Yep exact model I had [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Back
Top Bottom