California Ledge

Nick93023

Forum Supporter
Yesterday about 1 or 2 in the afternoon I finished my work for the day and I decided to head to the coast to scout out the beaches. The first two beached I had stopped at had a smaller ledge- maybe 1-2 feet. These were some random beaches that one of them I had hunted once before, and the other never.

I decided to continue and check 4 or 5 other beaches to see how they looked. 3 of the 5 have been good to me in the summer time and I would love to catch some of them when they are eroding. The 5th beach which happens to be the last one that I checked had a big sand berm that the city must have placed for erosion/flood control during the storm. I ended up hunting there for a while in the rain wearing waders and a rain jacket. I wasn't finding much, but enough to keep me there in the rain. I final had enough and decided to dry off in the van and head home.

On my way home I decided to stop at the two beaches that I saw with the smaller ledges. I couldn't find one of them (the one I had never been to before) so I ended up going to the one that I have previously hunted. When I got on the sand and walked to the ledge in the dark I was SHOCKED. That little ledge that I had seen a few hours earlier has now turned into a full 5-6 foot ledge!!!

I jumped down and started hunting under the ledge. My dectector was going crazy! Coins everywhere and a lot of interference with the black sand. I was also making a lot of surface finds! Coins were just sitting on top of the sand! I was finding lots of green coins. It got to a point where I had to stop digging pennies. I was sure I was going to find some gold.

I ended up hunting about three hundred yards of the whole ledge from the ledge itself to about 6 feet towards the water. All together I ended up with 173 targets in about 3 hours and no gold or silver!!!! How could I not find any of the good stuff here! I did find what I though was a ring when I scooped it, but I am still unsure what it is. I think it is some sort of animal tag that they crimped on a birds leg.

Finds Count

Quarters 46

Nickels 25

Dimes 28

Pennies 52

A few other various junk earrings and some other stuff. I did find what looks like a metal tooth crown. Its possible that it is silver. Happy hunting

Nick

Attachments

• ledge.jpg
    ledge.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 542
  • All.jpg
    All.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 581
  • Junk Jewlery.jpg
    Junk Jewlery.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 546
  • Key.jpg
    Key.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 539
  • Crown.jpg
    Crown.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 533
  • Crown1.jpg
    Crown1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 529
Wow, what a cool story. I had no idea erosion would happen that fast, thanks for the info. Goes to show that our window of opportunity may be a couple of hours only. Nice finds too!

You deserved some gold, for that kind of coin ratios !

What part of CA ? Ie.: southern CA ? Northern CA ?

Southern. Malibu to be exact. A little unfortunate, I was sure hoping for it. That is why I decided not to dig the 20/21s. Let me tell you, I passed up quite a bit of them.

Now Theres a Load! 25 nickels and 52 Pennies! A bullet, balls of wire and teeth even! Def gold targets and you were hitting them!! Good work and post and pics! Man you were in the right place!

Wow, that is something else. I would head back there and notch out everything except the gold range and see how you do...it might be deeper, so go for the faint low tones.

no such luck for me

Today I first tried the Wedge in Newport. It was lucky last storm so I had hoped it would be good today. Nope. Up north a bit a guy was getting coins in the surf but that was it. A huge amount of sand has been moved around but I don't know where the targets are. Maybe ten feet down.
So I moved on to Laguna. Pennies. That's about it. At least not as much can slaw. Some 2-3' cuts but nothing near them. Not much in the surf but pennies again.
So I moved on to Aliso. Wow. Ten foot cuts. Huge sand movement. Pennies again.
Walked north to Montage. Wow. All the sand gone from the cave area. So did someone hit it really big in the days earlier? Have not heard anything. Usually they leave a few pickings for me. Not this time. I see this every year - the waves hitting the rocks near the parking lot then in a few weeks a hundred feet of sand. Then a storm and Montage is stripped of sand. I'm thinking the swell direction makes all the difference. But I don't know why.
I tried the CTX at the Wedge, and EQ800 at Laguna and Aliso/Montage. Man, I like the CTX so much better - although detection of targets may be similar. Target sounds are so much better on the CTX. With my latest attempts at getting a good firmware load on the EQ800 its back to sounding like a pinball game. And a tone on each left to right sweep. And the recovery speed thing just really does not do what I'd like it to do. And the pennies are 18-27 ID's - what the heck is with that??? ARGHH.
Close to selling it. Can't imagine using a larger coil as for sure I'd have to use the harness I use with the CTX.

Photos attached of Aliso cut and Montage cave area devoid of sand.
I can't get the Montage photo to load upright. Maybe someone can tell me the trick to do it.
Alisotoday.jpgView attachment 430369

Attachments

• Montagetoday.JPG
    Montagetoday.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 410
I've been out of state for several days, and didn't get to try any California beaches. But from what I can gather looking at the Historical buoy reports for the past few days : the swell turned Northwest after the first 24 hours. Thus ending any benefit for south facing beaches?

And although you guys are seeing some cuts, it could be just the soft powdery sand out closer to the water's edge. Not the more Prime erosion further back inwards and downwards. The wimpy tide heights, that coincided with this, probably didn't help much.

Great job of finding the right beach to hunt Nick! It's a lot of work driving around from beach to beach but it often pays off. :yes: Maybe the heavier gold and silver targets were deeper. Did you find much lead?

I've been out of state for several days, and didn't get to try any California beaches. But from what I can gather looking at the Historical buoy reports for the past few days : the swell turned Northwest after the first 24 hours. Thus ending any benefit for south facing beaches?

And although you guys are seeing some cuts, it could be just the soft powdery sand out closer to the water's edge. Not the more Prime erosion further back inwards and downwards. The wimpy tide heights, that coincided with this, probably didn't help much.

I think you might be right Tom. Maybe these cuts were into recent fill sand. I hunted some deep cuts on Friday night that didn't yield as many targets as I would have expected.
The tides actually didn't seem too bad as most of the targets were high to mid-slope anyway. The sand felt softer low on the slope so the heavier targets may have been there- only too deep. :?:

I think you might be right Tom. Maybe these cuts were into recent fill sand. I hunted some deep cuts on Friday night that didn't yield as many targets as I would have expected.
The tides actually didn't seem too bad as most of the targets were high to mid-slope anyway. The sand felt softer low on the slope so the heavier targets may have been there- only too deep. :?:

Hello there compass. The rationale for the "tides ", that I was referring to, was : the astronomical High Tides portions of the month allow for the waves to reach up higher and further back into the beach. Was not referring to the low tides where we all end up looking for the Target zones thereafter.

And yes I agree with you that the cuts we are looking at maybe only cuts into just one Season's soft sand. Because I noticed in Nick's original post, that most of the coins are not green. Indicating they are fairly recent losses. And if it's that powdered sugar lighter sands, then yes, the gold items would have a different density and be elsewhere in the placement (deeper, etc...?) Example: notice there are no fishing sinkers or other such items in his pix.

Westward Beach has a big ledge about 6 foot that I hit last night. I ended up with 7 silver coins 5 pieces of silver jewelry and 3 pieces of gold jewelry. A 14k yellow band a small bracelet and another small gold ring. Nice hunt. But I lost my pin pointer. I’ll try and get some pictures up later.

Back
Top Bottom