What is your weirdest / scariest experience metal detecting?

N2990

Elite Member
Figure since we are closing in on Halloween, I'd bring this up. Anyone have any scary experiences while on the hunt? Feel like we all could learn a thing or two from them...

I never thought I'd speak of this to anyone but I think it's time for closure. Now, most of you won't believe the tale I'm about to weave but I know it's true, it happened to me.
Early one foggy morning I hiked up an old trail to a cellar hole next to a 1700's cemetery. I started detecting across the front of the structure. After about a half hour of hunting with my old but beloved Fischer I got a silver hit, I thought it'd be a reale or the like. To my shagrin, it was a Merc, worn out one at that.
As I rounded the corner, I caught glimpse of what appeared to be a hole just above the soil level. As I peered into the blackness, I could barely see but I felt it did lead into the foundation. I put down my detector and started to dig, I needed to know what was in there. With my back to the hole, I heard a rustle, close to me. Being startled, I quickly turned around. All I saw was a flash of green and a.....whaaaaa??? a freakin Shillelagh. I must have been knocked out, the next thing I knew was I was coming too, strapped to a chair in that room below the surface. As I lifted my head, there, mere inches away from my face, it was him, the Leprechaun. He cackled wildly, his breath smelled of feted flesh. He waddled away in a sad crippled way. As I looked about the cavern, there where metal detectors stacked along the walls. A pile of finds bags and Lesche diggers. The little green creature rushed toward me, stared me in the eye and shouted "give me ye gold, give me ye gold" I cried back, "I don't have any gold", he looked over at my poor little fischer and mumbled a hmmmmm. He drug his gimpy leg to the potbelly stove flickering in the corner, turned and looked at me. As he turned back to the stove, I saw him draw out a glowing red poker. He again rushed at me, pushing the smoldering shaft within inches of my face. "Give me ye gold" he shouted. I yelled, "I have no gold". I have an old Fischer, it's not that good on gold". He yelled again, "give me ye gold", I then had to explain how different detectors work and I just didn't have that much experience with detecting so gold is really hard to find. Then I remembered, "I have Silver" I shouted! He relaxed a little and said "give me ye silver then". Thinking quickly I said " let loose of one of my hands and I'll get it out of my finds bag". He stared at me suspiciously but started to release my arm. What to do, what to do raced through my mind. Then I realized, hanging off my thigh, my Sampson 31" Tee handled digger. I shuffled around as if to be gaining access to my pocket hence, the silver. I quickly grabbed the Sampson and swung forcibly at the rotten teeth before me. Oh !!!!, I hit him in the eye. Now mind you, being tied up by a Leprechaun, is bad enough, let alone a pissed off Leprechaun cause you just hit him in the eye with a Sampson 31" tee handle. Rubbing his eye he tore at me and I swung yet again. Contact, I had wacked him good up side his head. As he fumbled backward, he fell and moaned on the ground. I quickly un-did my bindings and ran toward the opening. As I slid up the muddy entrance, I reached out and grabbed my detector. When I cleared the surface I could hear him behind me, screaming, "I'll get you, I'll get you". I ran toward my truck as fast as I've ever ran. When I got close, I thought, do a little detecting on the way back, I always do. So, I reached down to fire up old faithful but alas, not my detector. I had grabbed some other poor souls detector that had never made it out of that pit of death. Not so bad though, turned out to be a CTX 3030. SCORE! I shouted.
Now, many won't believe this. Just look at my signature, notice the short list of detectors I've owned. Yup, you're a believer now,right

Last edited:
I was digging once in an area where boy scouts used to camp. I got a good signal and all of the sudden something seemed to jump out of the hole and I thought it was alive. It turned out to be one of those ball shaped compasses and it was spinning as it rolled across the ground. I don't need to tell you that it sure scared me. I think it was worse than the time I accidentally pulled a live snake out of the ground.

Nathaniel Greene Park is a neat place. The Master Gardner's program is based there, as well as a Japanese "stroll garden" and the Nathaniel Greene Homestead is a middle school field trip for every school within an hours drive. It has been detected hard, but gets enough traffic that it's always good for a handful of clad. The north end of the park is next to the United States Medical Center for Federal Prisoners. I have found dozens of ricochet bullets from their shooting range. Nobody at the parks dept or the prison seem to care that it's raining bullets in the park. They raised the berms a couple of years ago and insist I'm finding old bullets. They may be right, but I leave when they start shooting. I went there early one August morning before dawn trying to beat the heat. I was detecting the prison fence line with a huge, old tree as my turn around destination. It's a 1930's prison and when it's all lit up it looks like every prison movie made. It makes you glad you never got caught. I was lost in my own little world as I went around the tree and ran straight into the ghost of Nathaniel Greene, or John Gotti. I wasn't sure, but it was definitely the ghost of somebody. I jumped back and brought the ATPro up to firing position, reached for the safety and realized there was no safety and the ghost was actually a small bucket with a sheet over it hanging from the tree. I found out later it was a insect monitoring trap for an invasive bug. I hope the guards were watching. I've sat in a guard shack. It is the most boring job in the world and watching a old man try to shoot a ghost with a metal detector could be the highlight of the day. It shook me up. Getting scared and then realizing that if my ATPro would have been loaded I would have shot that damn thing right next to guys with machine guns.

Well I can give you two.

Hey I'm from Kansas so this wasn't so scary for me but some might find it unnerving. I was stepping over a fence in the field when I heard the familiar sound of a rattler. I looked down to see a small Diamond Back right where my foot was about to step. I just very slowly lifted my foot and scared it off with my coil.

A more serious scare was also the reason I now carry when I hunt. I was stocked by 5 Hispanics in our city park. I was hunting and saw these younger adults, my guess is 20's or 30's, walking across the park headed a different direction than where I was. They saw me and changed direction directly toward me. Let's just say they didn't look the friendly type. I started heading back toward my truck and they started to run to catch up with me. As I turned they would dodge behind the trees. As soon as I turned around and started back toward mt truck they would start running my way again. I was sure they had a Snatch-N-Grab in mind. Luckily I got to my truck before they got to me. It was one of those times when all my alarms were going off. I had no doubt they had doing me harm in mind. It actually happened twice so I now carry when I hunt.

Scariest moment? Probably last year in mid November when I was detecting an old caravan park site when I nearly stepped onto a curled up brown snake. I learnt my lesson, and that is to be more careful when walking through thick weeds.

Two weeks after this incidence, I was walking along the path back to this exact same caravan park site, when a few metres in front of me a brown snake slithered across the path. I was very careful where I stepped that day! I probably shouldn't have been hunting this place, right during their breeding season! :lol:

If anyone does detecting at night and sees this they'll have a scary story to tell :laughing::laughing::laughing:
the_wolfman_detecting_moon.jpg

Both weird AND scary - Sentinel Cow:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=235528

And just scary:

Was out hunting a city park with CD and almost became the next guest on a worldhiphopstar "knock out game" video. Four kids, probably late teens, early twenties stopped about 25 feet from where I was hunting. As with all people, I tend to keep them in my peripheral vision. I notice that two of them had pulled their hoods up so only their eyes were showing, and the other two had their cellphones set to record video. So, I stood up, with my T-handle over my should and overtly watch them. Apparently, the knockout game is not so much fun when your victim sees you coming.

Both weird AND scary - Sentinel Cow:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=235528

And just scary:

Was out hunting a city park with CD and almost became the next guest on a worldhiphopstar "knock out game" video. Four kids, probably late teens, early twenties stopped about 25 feet from where I was hunting. As with all people, I tend to keep them in my peripheral vision. I notice that two of them had pulled their hoods up so only their eyes were showing, and the other two had their cellphones set to record video. So, I stood up, with my T-handle over my should and overtly watch them. Apparently, the knockout game is not so much fun when your victim sees you coming.

That would of of been a bit unnerving to say the least but I would of loved to see the video on youtube where the instigator got a Sampson to the side of the head.

I was detecting in the middle of the woods at dusk about a year ago when I got a 50's signal. I finished up digging the bullet in the hole and as I was walking out, some idiot opened fire in my direction. I ran in a zig zag pattern the h_ll out of the there. Turned out I dropped my Pro Pointer somewhere in the melee. Side note: I typically carry a gun while detecting, especially in the woods, but this particular day I wasn't, or I may have returned fire. I would have been out-gunned as my 9mm is only 6+1, so maybe it was a blessing in the disguise. Anyway, the next day I went back armed and with about 70 rounds on me. I found my Pointer and got out of there, no additional shots fired. Whew!

Not really scary, but... many years ago I was detecting along a beach, early in the morning. It was summer, and I was wearing shorts. With headphones on and concentrating on the ground I wasn't too aware of my surroundings. So when a BIG dog came up behind me and applied his wet, cold nose to the back of my knee I must have jumped a couple of feet. Luckily the dog was friendly, and accompanied by its owner.

Another time, again on the beach in the early morning, I began to hear random static noise in my headphones. I didn't know what it was until I stopped and turned to look back toward the land. I saw a rapidly developing thunderstorm headed my way. I decided that being the tallest point on a wide, flat expanse of sand wasn't a good idea, especially when holding a metal shaft in my hand, so I headed back to the car and got soaking wet, but not zapped.

Not really scary, but... many years ago I was detecting along a beach, early in the morning. It was summer, and I was wearing shorts. With headphones on and concentrating on the ground I wasn't too aware of my surroundings. So when a BIG dog came up behind me and applied his wet, cold nose to the back of my knee I must have jumped a couple of feet. Luckily the dog was friendly, and accompanied by its owner.

Another time, again on the beach in the early morning, I began to hear random static noise in my headphones. I didn't know what it was until I stopped and turned to look back toward the land. I saw a rapidly developing thunderstorm headed my way. I decided that being the tallest point on a wide, flat expanse of sand wasn't a good idea, especially when holding a metal shaft in my hand, so I headed back to the car and got soaking wet, but not zapped.

I've been bitten by "they're friendly" dogs before. Why do some people think it's ok for their pets to come up on people ?they come up on me all the time in the local park and I don't like it one little bit !

I beach and water hunt and cant tell you the number of crematory tags I've found on the beach where some lazy s.o.b. dumped out grandma. But one day I pulled tag out of the ocean and was glad I was using a scoop. That tag was dancing and clanging around inside the scoop like there was no tomorrow! Yikes! I spilled out that tag a quickly as I could and ran for my truck like a little scared puppy. Clearly that grandmother didn't appreciate her ashes being summarily dumped in the ocean.

Respec the dead otherwise you may pay the price!

In Denver there is a Cheesman Park that was a cemetery before 1890. The bodies were removed to make way for the park. There are a lot of old coins there since its been a park for over 100 years. On my first visit I dug up a handle to a coffin. I never went back.

I never thought I'd speak of this to anyone but I think it's time for closure. Now, most of you won't believe the tale I'm about to weave but I know it's true, it happened to me.
Early one foggy morning I hiked up an old trail to a cellar hole next to a 1700's cemetery. I started detecting across the front of the structure. After about a half hour of hunting with my old but beloved Fischer I got a silver hit, I thought it'd be a reale or the like. To my shagrin, it was a Merc, worn out one at that.
As I rounded the corner, I caught glimpse of what appeared to be a hole just above the soil level. As I peered into the blackness, I could barely see but I felt it did lead into the foundation. I put down my detector and started to dig, I needed to know what was in there. With my back to the hole, I heard a rustle, close to me. Being startled, I quickly turned around. All I saw was a flash of green and a.....whaaaaa??? a freakin Shillelagh. I must have been knocked out, the next thing I knew was I was coming too, strapped to a chair in that room below the surface. As I lifted my head, there, mere inches away from my face, it was him, the Leprechaun. He cackled wildly, his breath smelled of feted flesh. He waddled away in a sad crippled way. As I looked about the cavern, there where metal detectors stacked along the walls. A pile of finds bags and Lesche diggers. The little green creature rushed toward me, stared me in the eye and shouted "give me ye gold, give me ye gold" I cried back, "I don't have any gold", he looked over at my poor little fischer and mumbled a hmmmmm. He drug his gimpy leg to the potbelly stove flickering in the corner, turned and looked at me. As he turned back to the stove, I saw him draw out a glowing red poker. He again rushed at me, pushing the smoldering shaft within inches of my face. "Give me ye gold" he shouted. I yelled, "I have no gold". I have an old Fischer, it's not that good on gold". He yelled again, "give me ye gold", I then had to explain how different detectors work and I just didn't have that much experience with detecting so gold is really hard to find. Then I remembered, "I have Silver" I shouted! He relaxed a little and said "give me ye silver then". Thinking quickly I said " let loose of one of my hands and I'll get it out of my finds bag". He stared at me suspiciously but started to release my arm. What to do, what to do raced through my mind. Then I realized, hanging off my thigh, my Sampson 31" Tee handled digger. I shuffled around as if to be gaining access to my pocket hence, the silver. I quickly grabbed the Sampson and swung forcibly at the rotten teeth before me. Oh !!!!, I hit him in the eye. Now mind you, being tied up by a Leprechaun, is bad enough, let alone a pissed off Leprechaun cause you just hit him in the eye with a Sampson 31" tee handle. Rubbing his eye he tore at me and I swung yet again. Contact, I had wacked him good up side his head. As he fumbled backward, he fell and moaned on the ground. I quickly un-did my bindings and ran toward the opening. As I slid up the muddy entrance, I reached out and grabbed my detector. When I cleared the surface I could hear him behind me, screaming, "I'll get you, I'll get you". I ran toward my truck as fast as I've ever ran. When I got close, I thought, do a little detecting on the way back, I always do. So, I reached down to fire up old faithful but alas, not my detector. I had grabbed some other poor souls detector that had never made it out of that pit of death. Not so bad though, turned out to be a CTX 3030. SCORE! I shouted.
Now, many won't believe this. Just look at my signature, notice the short list of detectors I've owned. Yup, you're a believer now,right

Excellent!!!!! You got me RFLMAO!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom