Fisher F2 is toast

Analog_Kid

My first search of the year already ended in disaster. I think my F2 is dead. I put fresh batteries in it, turned it on, took one sweep and it shut off. I did it over and over. I even took off my SEF coil and tried my trusted sniper coil. It went dead. I turned it on, threw a knife on the ground as a test, swept over it once, and it went dead.

So, is it really dead or what? And if it is dead, should I just take the next logical step up to an AT-Pro?

:no:

Does the F2 have a reset you can do to return to factory settings? I have an F70 and it has a reset.

If the reset doesn't fix it, is your detector less than 5 years old ?

I saw the online manual and it has a 5 year warranty.

IF it is older than 5 years you can call Fisher toll-free and explain the problem and see what they say what might be wrong and if it might be an inexpensive fix or not.

contact Fisher Customer Service at:
1-800-685-5050
Customer Service Representatives are available
Monday through Friday,
8:00am to 4:30pm, Mountain Standard Time

from - http://www.fisherlab.com/contact.htm

....in the meantime other members might have other ideas to try to fix it.

Amen! - I nean that.

Gary, you have just posted about the best clear, straightforward and well researched reply to a "my detector is broken - what should I do" post that I have ever seen.

Your post is a little jewel - showing all of us how to actually be helpful.

I personally have had Nothing but Great experiences with First Texas Products service department.

p.s. try to get Felix

Found this in the Forum by TwistedT

Lightbulb Fisher F2 Troubleshooting Guide

Hey All,

Especially F2 and new F2 users
I thought I would post this guide as I have seen people asking for help in troubleshooting problems with the F2.
I have pulled these hints from this and other forums and put into one document.

Thought it would be helpful for the F2 users out there.

Maybe this could be made a sticky down the line so we can refer to it later.

F2 Troubleshooting Guide

Make sure the batteries are in the correct way - easy to put in backwards and the detector will act crazy. This sounds sounds silly but it happens.

Make sure you are using Alkaline batteries. Use a fresh set of batteries.

Do a factory reset - with the detector off, hold the power button in for about 8-10 seconds.

Make sure all cable connections are tight and that it is seated all they way into the connector.

Make sure you have the coil wrapped around the shaft and it is not loose and banging on the rods.

Make sure the rods are tight and make sure that the coil is tight on the bottom shaft.

Turn down the sensitivity a notch

Get out of your yard into an open area - maybe getting EMI from your house or in the neighborhood (Wi-Fi, buried electrical cables, etc..) if this happens in only one place but is ok elsewhere this may be the problem. Move to another area and try it.

DO NOT turn it on in the house - weird things will happen. (believe me its true)

Thanks, guys.

I bought the F2 less about three years ago, so I think it's still under warranty. I'll give them a call, but I honestly think I might sell all of my coils and possibly even my telescope and upgrade to a better detector.

Thanks, guys.

I bought the F2 less about three years ago, so I think it's still under warranty. I'll give them a call, but I honestly think I might sell all of my coils and possibly even my telescope and upgrade to a better detector.

Just for giggles try one more set of batteries.
5 year warranty if you bought it new, Fisher will take care of it.

BTW....the logical step up from the F2 is an F5, F70 or F75.
Similar language but more of it plus way more power, features and abilities also.

Hey again,

So, I tried a factory reset based on suggestions here. It seemed to work for a while, but as before it just started dying on me.

Digger27, I do like the Fisher F5 based on the fact that it uses dials instead of buttons. If I upgrade, I will have to do so on a limited budget. I'm happy to sell my telescope and a few other odds and ends in order to get a better detector. I haven't used my scope in years, anyway. My upper limit is about $800.

There is a bit of a concern that I have with regard to my warranty, though. According to Fisher's website, the F2 is no longer available. I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

And try new batteries like Digger suggested. It's one of the solutions to the F2 problems that people were having when reading up on the F2.I wouldn't give up on it yet unless you are wanting to upgrade. The T2 classic is priced right, same 5 year warranty since it is a First Texas machine as Fisher is.

Sounds like the batteries might be losing contact and shutting the machine down. Try to bend the tangs where the battery makes contact so that there is more pressure on the battery when inserted. I had this same problem on a Omega 8000 and that cured it.

Even IF you still want to upgrade, you would still want to get your F2 fixed under warranty (if the members' ideas don't fix it first) so it would be in good shape to sell if you needed to use that money to help pay for an upgrade.

I'm not sure if Fisher would even offer this option, but maybe they would give you a really good discount on an upgrade model in exchange for your F2 (if you did want to stick with the Fisher brand), couldn't hurt to ask them.

Of course if you get your F2 fixed you might be content to just stick with it for now, all depends how bad you feel you need to upgrade or not.

Hey again,

So, I tried a factory reset based on suggestions here. It seemed to work for a while, but as before it just started dying on me.

Digger27, I do like the Fisher F5 based on the fact that it uses dials instead of buttons. If I upgrade, I will have to do so on a limited budget. I'm happy to sell my telescope and a few other odds and ends in order to get a better detector. I haven't used my scope in years, anyway. My upper limit is about $800.

There is a bit of a concern that I have with regard to my warranty, though. According to Fisher's website, the F2 is no longer available. I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know what I find out.
Fisher has introduced a new line of detectors similar to the F2. I think it's the F22 and F44 or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom