Mountain and hilltops

Analog_Kid

Hello,

I've decided that for 2017, I'm going to be much more earnest in our dirty, little hobby. I'm sure my wife will not be happy, but I'm tired of not getting out as much as I'd like.

One of the targets that I'm interested in hitting are local mountain and hilltops. It stands to reason that such sites would have been ideal military locations during past conflicts simply due to having the high ground.

Have any of you had any luck in such areas?

:?:

......One of the targets that I'm interested in hitting are local mountain and hilltops. It stands to reason that such sites would have been ideal military locations during past conflicts simply due to having the high ground.

Have any of you had any luck in such areas?

:?:

This could be a decent plan Analog. Not sure about the military strategy, but any location where people frequented betters your chance at getting good finds.

On hill tops, people might have gathered to camp out, party, hunt, enjoy the view or carve hillside rocks.

I worked a few of these and came up with coins, tools, eating utensils, hunter's trash and buttons.

That's good thinking but you should have some information on what may have been there before hitting random mountain/hill tops , there are lots of them and only a percentage ever had anybody spending time there. Combine this strategy with plenty research on the particular area and you may be on to something. Even though the high ground has been sought for various reasons over the years , if you don't have information pointing to that area being used then its really not much better than hitting random fields.

But , if you are at a site and wondering where to start , the high ground is a good place.

I have been hunting the wooded parks in my area almost strictly. And I have done quite well. It is more difficult and there is a method to it, this is why not everyone does it, but it really has turned up the finds for me. Off the top of my head I found my only morgan dollar in the woods and that gold pocket watch I just found was in the woods. Also that 1940s change purse I just got was from the woods. Hunt the woods but dont just stick to the open areas. Walk through the bushes and swing where it will allow. There are still some great finds out there you just have to work a little harder. Good luck

Good idea,,,
hen you are out,,,try to put yourself in a trooper's mindset.

What kind of view from spots,,,can consider areas maybe where bottlenecks occur for travel back then due to terrain obstacles.

Water source location should be considered as well.

Vantage points of water sources,,,,key,,,those ridge lines,,,where the passes at the bottom,,,actually pass around ridge line,,,,,were the lower land can be seen from both sides of ridge line,,,,these were the places where troop movement was monitored,,,and attacks were done.

If you find a ridge line like this,,and make some finds,,,probably some good finds down lower.

I have been hunting the wooded parks in my area almost strictly. And I have done quite well. It is more difficult and there is a method to it, this is why not everyone does it, but it really has turned up the finds for me.

yes, I have switched to hunting the wooded areas almost exclusively. The parks' open areas have been hit hard, but I have found virgin wooded areas this past year. And the silver coins are not as deep in the woods, it seems.

yes, I have switched to hunting the wooded areas almost exclusively. The parks' open areas have been hit hard, but I have found virgin wooded areas this past year. And the silver coins are not as deep in the woods, it seems.
I have found that as well. Most are only 4 or 5 inches.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips. Living here in Central Pa there are plenty of places that have captured my attention when it comes to hilltops. I was traveling along I-99 South last week and as you look across the ridgeline to the east you can see where people have planted flags. Which got me to thinking about the odds of finding something interesting.

But if I understand correctly, some of you have been finding silver in wooded areas, but not too far in? One of the things that I had been doing is sweeping wooded areas surrounding old battlefields. I would never sweep a place like the battlefields at Gettysburg or Antietam, but the surrounding areas are fair game in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom