Test Garden questions

luked

thinking of making a test garden at home.
how do you all have yours set up. and what coins do you use and at what depths and so on

thinking of making a test garden at home.
how do you all have yours set up. and what coins do you use and at what depths and so on

I dug alot of holes about 7 years ago,measured from the bottom of the hole to the top of the dirt,6,8,10 and 12 inches.I stuck the coins in the dirt in the side of the hole ,pushed them in like they would be laying flat.Put the dirt back in and your done.

Word of advice,scan the area first and find a clean area to do this in.You don't wanna bury coins under trash and iron.

I put mercury dimes in all the holes except for the 12 inch hole,there I put a silver Washington.Hope this helps.

if your hunting for silver coins order some wore out ones from ebay.as far as depths go I have silve dime 4 inchs surrounded by 3 nails, 9 1/2 silver dime,12 inch half and quarter, 10 inch clad quarter, and 5 inch buffalo nickel with nails around it. It really depends on your machine you dont want a 10 inch quarter if your machine wont hit it, plus are you trying to see what coins sound like in iron next to pull tabs ect alot of varibles. IMO a test garden is a must if its only coins in clean ground just to see what they sound like on your detector.

I dug alot of holes about 7 years ago,measured from the bottom of the hole to the top of the dirt,6,8,10 and 12 inches.I stuck the coins in the dirt in the side of the hole ,pushed them in like they would be laying flat.Put the dirt back in and your done.

Word of advice,scan the area first and find a clean area to do this in.You don't wanna bury coins under trash and iron.

I put mercury dimes in all the holes except for the 12 inch hole,there I put a silver Washington.Hope this helps.

And just exactly where did you say this garden was located ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I dug a hole, drilled holes into the face of it at various depths to 16", and place into the holes a wooden dowel with various coins taped to the ends, this way you have less undisturbed soil and it's more realistic.
Digging a fresh hole, placing a coin at the bottom is only replicating a harrowed or ploughed field, not a coin burried undisturbed for hundreds of years, it can give a false reading in depth.

I highly recommend you sweep your area/holes,dirt for ferrous and nonferrous materials.
Even get yourself s big magnet and check dirt and hole.

Now some folks set what we call challenged targets in their test gardens,,,same above should apply for them,,,even though you may be placing a nail, tab, etc alongside or near good target for future detector testing.

Do not make your test garden near an invisible dog fence,,electric fence,,or real close to your home,,or where you normally park autos.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom