10 coin score at coinstar

diggin4clad

Elite Member
With the hunt season basically over I'll have to be content with eyeball finds and whatever I can get from Coinstar machines. I went to the local supermarket today and while there I checked the Coinstar tray finding 10 coins, 9 U.S. clad and an English One Penny piece.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 431
Can you check again?
I think that's a UK 2p coin.
It will tell you on the reverse.

Last edited:
Thank you for the confirmation.
I hadn't realised that the American coins were so small.

I'm sorry to say I never thought of this before. But thanks to the bad example you guys are setting for me ;) I gave it a try.

After checking out at my local Krogers I glanced at the return tray of the Coinstar machine and HOLY COW!! That thing was full!! I mean I don't know why coins weren't just sliding out onto the floor!

Of course I didn't want to look like some sort of sleazeball just scooping out the coin return as I passed by (which I actually was, but I still didn't want to look like it :D), so I stopped, placed the shopping cart behind me for some cover, and started tapping through the menus on the screen like I was a legitimate user. Then I reached into my pocket for coins to get things started and came up with a quarter. That's right - I only had one single coin to put into the machine before I reached for the return slot. It would have to do.

So I tossed the quarter in top tray, rubbed it around to make some noise, and tipped it up to send it into the machine. And now for my big move. I nonchalantly reached down and scooped up a handful of coins out of the return slot, waiting for that tell tale "Excuse me SIR!!" but it never came. Whew! I tossed them into the top tray and sent them down the slot.

Some counted, and a bunch fell through, but it was too late now!! Besides, how are you going to stop me now that I was on a roll! Some were stuck together like someone spilled their Pepsi on them, so I pried those apart and sent them in for round 3.

When the smoke cleared I had a receipt for $6.73, plus around $4 of gummed up coins in the return slot. And one Chuck E. Cheese token. So I made over $10 for 5 minutes of work and didn't have to lug any gear out to the beach. Not a bad day.

Of course I didn't want to look like some sort of sleazeball just scooping out the coin return as I passed by (which I actually was, but I still didn't want to look like it :D)
Im sure the homeless would not appreciate your comment. They are in direct competition, you know.

Coinstar Machines

Someone mentioned years ago 'never pass a Coinstar machine without checking the return shut'.

Coinstar machines are great for rejecting silver and wheaties. The youngin's never saw a silver coin and just leave them, thinking they are foreign.

Never be embarrassed... Ive seen old and young checking out the machines. One time I think someone stole a bunch from a fountain.
There were wet coins everywhere. They jammed the machine and left. I think it was my biggest haul of over $10 !!!

Sometimes I do better at the Coinstar machines than on the beach

HH
Donna(NJ)

Back
Top Bottom