V Nickel caked with crud

gameoftag

Forum Supporter
I found this V Nickel on a sidewalk tear out and I posted it with my other finds in another section.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=90724
I asked for advice on getting this hard cement like crud off. I have tried Tumbling, SOS Pad, Brass Brush, and nothing seemed to do anything. Someone suggested I soak in Formula 409 for a couple hours and scrub with the brass brush. This made it WAY Better, and I'm happy to leave it here if any further attempt may damage the coin. As you can see, she looks shiny new underneath in the reverse corner. Any other ideas?

1888 V Obv Clean.jpg1888 V rev cLEAN.jpg

I'm probably going to try Electrolysis on it, but I only want that as a last resort. I have thought about trying Lime Away or CLR. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm OK leaving it alone at this point, but I'm driven by curiosity to see if i can find that beautiful coin underneath this hardened crud.

Tough call, did the patina chip off that spot when you recovered it?

Edit: I would leave it.

Looks like you got the crud off and what's left is corrosion. I'd quit too.

I'm doing some experimenting with Worcestershire sauce....and getting mixed results.

Tough call, did the patina chip off that spot when you recovered it?

Edit: I would leave it.

I really don't think it is patina on the coin, it is a thick cement like dirt that Is slowly coming off. The corner chipped off after scrubbing for a long time, and as you can see more came off after hours of soaking and scrubbing. This stuff is adhered to the coin with every micron. I worked the 409 on it again last night and made it even better. I'm getting close to the coin surface and I tested a regular nickel with the brass brush and it made a lot of surface scratches on it. That is not something I want on this nickel, so I'm going to stop before I actually get to the coin surface itself. I can see a full liberty on this coin now, and the words on the back. I can almost see the V on the back and I know I'm about as far as I want to take it with the brass brush.

I'm going to soak it in Olive oil for a couple months and see if i can soften up the crud. I'll try to get pics up later tonight of last nights cleaning.

Strange... It's like a shell of grime. The rest would probably come off like that chip, but it looks like it took the patina with it. Is that bare metal in the chipped area?

Edit: looks like the obverse and reverse would react differently to further cleaning, although olive oil would probably be safe to use.

Last edited:
I've got a few V nickels that look similar. I was the one that suggested the 409 treatment.

I'm scared to go any further on my own nickels because I think that the thin layer still there....IS the actual surface of the coin. When it flakes off...THAT part of the coin is gone forever.

It's not an "important" coin....let it look old and dug up. It is.

I've got a few V nickels that look similar. I was the one that suggested the 409 treatment.

I'm scared to go any further on my own nickels because I think that the thin layer still there....IS the actual surface of the coin. When it flakes off...THAT part of the coin is gone forever.

It's not an "important" coin....let it look old and dug up. It is.

I agree. I'm done for now. I'll soak it for a while in Olive oil and see if it helps, but it looks good enough for me. Thanks for the tip.

Final Pic... For now. Looks way better than it did when i dug it up.

Attachments

• 1888 v Nickel.jpg
    1888 v Nickel.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 482
Back
Top Bottom