another cool token from 1840s!

Tpmetal

Elite Member
Went out again yesterday to the next town over and managed to pull another cool token from the 1840s again. Twice in three days first was the 1842 canadian bank token, now this.(oh yeah got an indian too but who cares when you find stuff like this! It was super toasted and had the crumbliest patina(I literally blew on it and some flew off!!), But I managed to save a bit of it. Its an 1841 temperance/prohibition token!

Attachments

• 20171009_181447_resized.jpg
    20171009_181447_resized.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 252
  • 20171009_152943_resized.jpg
    20171009_152943_resized.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 254
That is so cool! Congrats. Don't you hate it sometimes when a crazy patina comes off? We pull red and green coins out of the ground here often and sometimes I wish I could preserve how they look.

That is so cool! Congrats. Don't you hate it sometimes when a crazy patina comes off? We pull red and green coins out of the ground here often and sometimes I wish I could preserve how they look.

When we dig certain fossils that have a crumbling problem, we soak them in water thinned Elmers glue. Let them soak then carefully lift them out and let dry. Works most of the time. Might work on preserving those interesting patinas.

When we dig certain fossils that have a crumbling problem, we soak them in water thinned Elmers glue. Let them soak then carefully lift them out and let dry. Works most of the time. Might work on preserving those interesting patinas.

A man gave me a Mammoth tooth and he strengthened it in a similar way. He soaks them in acetone and glue mixture. He said the acetone helps the glue penetrate better then the acetone evaporates.

I rinsed gently with distilled then the clear nail polish on it. I cringed using nail polish, but I needed a sealant besides microcrystaline, and fast. Not recommended procedure, but it worked

Nice job grabbing another cool token, tpmetal! Interesting to hear the sealing technique - I haven't found anything yet where it seemed necessary to do any sealing or preservation, but it's nice to learn about different methods that can be used when needed.

Nice job grabbing another cool token, tpmetal! Interesting to hear the sealing technique - I haven't found anything yet where it seemed necessary to do any sealing or preservation, but it's nice to learn about different methods that can be used when needed.

This one i messed up badly. I Didn't have the materials i needed and it wasn't gonna last till I could get them. (about an hour round trip to the store and back and they probably don't have what I need) So I just slopped nail polish on it before it all disappeared. NOT archival, NOT recommended procedure. Best probably would have been a wax of some sort I imagine? Not sure though Normally I use renaissance wax, but the patina was to thick and flakey to do that. Another option that I might try is this glue called hextal. Its crystal clear, and archival and won't yellow. Only problem is that its hard to mix in small batches. Anyone else Have a solution for those really really fragile patinas?

Back
Top Bottom