Monty Test Your Metal Detector

airhead

Ok I just watched a test of the Garrett Ace 400, Air Test, Monty Test and Field Test.
In the Monty Test, there was a letter size piece of paper with lines draw on it, it divided the paper into sections looking much like a pie, and on this paper you would put 4 or 5 nails in specific spots, and in other specific areas you placed 2 dimes.
Anyone that knows what I'm taking about, can you tell where to find instructions on drawing this myself on paper, to test my MD.
It seems like a very good way to see how your MD reacts to a dime with nails near by and help teach newbees like myself.

Not saying you won't learn anything, but rusty iron sounds different in the ground prior to digging thanafter it's dug. The second factor is a buried eight inch dime will sound different than one 2 inches away in open air.

Not saying their is no value in this test, but I wouldn't put too much credence into it.

Give it a try and let us know what you think!

Last edited:
Thank you guys, points well taken, I now understand that after the monty test, I most likely should do some field testing in my backyard with some coins and nails, both rusty and new.

Again, I understand everything your saying, but I feel the monty test is a good base test for newbee, with the understanding that further testing is warranted.

I've already learned from park hunting that I need to hone my basic sound skills.

I will say, all the more practice a guy can get is helpful!...Even over the Winter right in the Living room...you drop a handful of clad on the carpet, cover it with a towel, and see if you can pick out the individual targets mixed in with the subfloor nails...then turn off the lights and see if you can do it in the dark...this Sport is all about audio perception of whats below your coil...one massive silver spill with an iron knife or a few buff nickels mixed in can make your Year...yet it will sound like junk to most...so yeah...practice when you can, hunt when you should, concentrate, and dig it all for an education on the mysteries of Metal and Men...put a buff nickel on top of a Peace Dollar and give it a sweep..lay a knife right along side and good luck...sometimes the worse signals turn out to be your best finds...like here.."two pulltabs"
Mud

Attachments

• sept 8 13-2.jpg
    sept 8 13-2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 370
  • Sept 8 13.jpg
    Sept 8 13.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 380
  • sept 8 13-5.jpg
    sept 8 13-5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 400
The other reason for this test is to see how hast your recovery speed is on the detector you are using. That means, As you swing your coil over an rejected item, , will it recover in time that it will pick up the dime next to a rejected item. Some detectors recover very fast and some recover slower. You can miss a good target if yours recovers slowly. May be Monty will jump in here and help you out with this test... KEN

Back
Top Bottom