• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Error Wheat Penny or what?

jack&jill

Elite Member
I recently found this Wheat penny and am wondering if this a error and if it may have any value. It seems to been a edge of a sheet stamping with only half the date on the heads and one of the wheat stalks missing on the tails. These depressions are directly opposite of each other. Jack

Attachments

• penny1.JPG
    penny1.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 500
  • penny2.JPG
    penny2.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 469
Looks like a greased die. If it was wear, it would be more even. Sometimes the dies get filled with grease or a piece of rag or other debris.

Not worn

It cannot be due to wearing because there is a rim, so it must be an error of some type

I'm skeptical of the greased/filled die explanation, because I see what looks like damage to the "S" in "TRUST". Also, the rim does not look undamaged, especially on the obverse.

-- Tom

First, Very nice pic. Shows the detail very well. I gotta agree that it it some type of error. Don't know much about them, but the wear is too uneven to be natural and with the rim still raised, it would have to be an error in my opinion.

DirtyRob knows a lot about this stuff. Maybe he can chime in with his thoughts.

Most greasers I've seen were only on one side. And since you can see the rim has been worn down, my guess it is not an error. But, I am a novice at this. Somehow the wear got there. I will add the pics to a post to an expert.

I'll report my findings.

Most greasers I've seen were only on one side. And since you can see the rim has been worn down, my guess it is not an error. But, I am a novice at this. Somehow the wear got there. I will add the pics to a post to an expert.

I'll report my findings.
Most greasers I have seen look like this..............................

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 372
I got an email back. A person "in the know" responded to me with the news of either a "greaser'" or a "tampered die". So it is an error coin. But these only carry a small premium to a "greaser" collector!

But good eye! I might have just thought that was just some unusual wear on the cent...!

I found a wheat just like that the other week, only was worn on the back left side and the rest of it was really nice and I'm pretty positive it's not normal wear. Nice find!!

I want to say thank you for all that helped in the determination of this coin. Your expertise in this matter far out does mine. The comments were all welcome and appreciated. Jack

Back
Top Bottom