T-shaped things

TDB_digs

A friend and I found this large T-shaped object the other day. We’ve been racking our brains trying to figure out it’s function.
Today, I was going through some old finds and lo and behold, something very similar emerged from a box of odds and ends.

The two seem to be different ages and sizes, but both perhaps have the same function? Each looks like it was mounted on a handle or post. Smaller one has a hollow threaded base, larger one is socketed. The main similarity between the two are the two arms with small wheels or rollers on the end.

They’re obviously something very specific, but we’re at a loss! Any ideas?

A25BD648-0AA0-444C-8B68-4902BC8C722C.jpeg

CE6F7B5A-D4C7-45B1-A738-8C2C18903FB0.jpeg

CCE43F2C-6DEC-4018-B5B1-CB5E57F0A05B.jpeg

2EBCA1A7-425E-4A4C-82D9-45DF826B8663.jpeg

It looks like there might be a name or initials on the shank of one of the handles. If so, that might be a clue to what these things are. I'm interested in finding out what they were used for.

I think you're holding it upside down. It look like the leg to something that rolls, maybe on a track based on the size of the rollers.

I think you're holding it upside down. It look like the leg to something that rolls, maybe on a track based on the size of the rollers.
You're on the right track, I think.:laughing:

I'm thinking some part of a window mechanism, like maybe for a car?
Could also be part of a tensioning system.

First time I saw this post that item seemed familiar but still hasn't clicked.

The rollers look like they may have run in a track as you said.

Definitely an adjustment for height.

The one looks like it has a brake on it. The little piece with the ridges on it, is it on a swivel? Looks like maybe it was made to roll in one direction but dig in and hold brake in the other....maybe. Hard to say.

Almost seems like it could be a guide for some sort of conveyor that the belt may ride on, would explain the need for a one way brake and height adjustment, if that's what it was. For what I don't have any clue. Not even sure we're on the right track.

From the looks of them, especially the smaller one I believe they hung from the roller end. The “T” shape seems to indicate a hanger design and looking at the smaller one if the rollers were on the bottom I’m not sure both rollers would touch a surface before the arch in the arms hit. And I think it likely that the arched shape provides strength for a hanging load. Even the larger one has some arch. If they did hang from the roller end then they could not have rolled more than an inch or so in either direction. Maybe some kind of back and forth aggitating motion? Maybe parts out of two similar types of machine? One older than the other or different manufacturer. The color if any may be a clue.
Imagine the copper looking handle on the larger one not being busted open/split but rather a tube with an intentional hole at the upper end to allow the compression connection at the top to work. Looks like it’s position/height was adjustable on the the shaft.
It’s also interesting that the rollers are exposed on both the top and bottom of their retainer. Maybe this part had an up and down motion in addition to side to side, rolling one way while suspended and rolling the other way while lifted. Or maybe just open design to prevent fouling.
Two many questions, not enough answers.
This is surely interesting. I’ll be pondering this in my sleep probably...

Last edited:
Any idea what was going on at the sites where these were found? Need some history...

Reminds me of something off an antenna of some sort or some sort of communication equipment/wiring.

Reminds me of auto emergency brake cable hardware...I’m thinking cables were involved, holding and releasing something...

Any idea what is inside the tube part of the larger one? There appears to be some non metal material fragments inside. Is that wood? Or grease?

Any idea what is inside the tube part of the larger one? There appears to be some non metal material fragments inside. Is that wood? Or grease?

Good eye...I didn’t notice the dried grease..makes perfect sense..because that T shaped piece held the swaged end of a cable, or shaft with a rack gear that fit into the adjustment ratchet ..cable or shaft pulled out..swaged end or nut stretching open the rolled shaft. Could have stretched over time or from one heavy force..like applying too much pressure at once because the assembly was binding..grease was applied for the typical reasons..over time it hardens up...

Back
Top Bottom