Huntington Beach Southern California.

Hoshnasi

Forum Supporter
I am a beach noob and heading out tomorrow afternoon to try my hand. If anyone is going that way tomorrow send me a pm.

i'm VERY, VERY NEW to MD'ing. have an ACE 250 that i just purchased from "Fried Electronics". basically just ended up buying the first thing i saw is what it REALLY amounted to. so by no means did i even have a CLUE on what i was buying. can't go this weekend, but can plan for something. FINALLY received my Pro Pointer from OpticsPlanet (good company), but MAN are they EVER SO SLOW to ship. Anyways, I've been hoping to do some hunting on the beach, but 1) am a TOTAL newbie (a.k.a. FNG... sorry for that abbrev, but it fits me right now) 2) don't know if going to get "cuffed" by local PD just because I'm MD'ing and finally 3) I'm going to admit am a little nervous when it comes to meeting folk... so this forum thing and what not is VERY new to me as well... i guess you can say that I "found the front door" and all I have to do is step 1 foot out... well, here it goes.

I am going to be in Southern Cal, Long Beach, in July and want to detect on the beach there. Is it legal to MD on the beach there? If it is, do you need a permit or anything? Where can you find these answers out for sure? I can't find anything on the city of Long Beach's website about metal detecting. Thanks for any help.

No permit needed for detecting the beaches, though the Long Beach sand has Alot of trash for you to dig.
HH
Jim

If any of you Cali Hunters want to do a beach hunt and BBQ we should plan it.

LOTS of depositors on the beaches now.

I'm close to all the LA beaches, and can do Huntington or about anywhere in Orange Country.

Robin is one of our members who might come, also GStout.

How bout Mother's beach in Long Beach? Any information about MD at Seal Beach as far as less trash? Is it legal to MD in the city parks? Here in Reno, you need a permit from the city parks department to MD in Reno parks, but its free to get. Anything like that down there? Thanks again for the info.

Yes, I'm willing to do a BBQ and weed whacking the sand. For me it will have to be at least another 3wks at least and only on Sundays as I am going to be working 6days a week for a few months. That's my only problem and hold up (if you will). As far as answering for beach metal detecting for the other question from blocko1000, from what i've researched thus far and the VERY recent comment by discgolf it is legal on any beach along the So Cal coastline. Private beaches are off limits (unless permission is given... correct if I'm wrong someone) and the State Beaches are legal, but I've read from a forum (don't know which or who said it)... the State Beaches have a curfew... that's about all I've gathered thus far as far as beaches go... don't know about parks too much right now... sorry...

For me it will have to be at least another 3wks at least and only on Sundays..

Maybe a Sunday morning toward the end of July. Lots of time for beach goers to leave goodies and time to plan the thing out.

Venice/Santa Monica Beach is great for the sheer numbers of people and dry/wet sand hunting, plus there are plenty of "interesting" people to watch. :yes:

the 24th and 31st fall on a sunday... i'm good for either day... and YES, it does give time to plan the thing out... NOT very familiar with those beaches AT ALL, but can obviously figure it out. I'm assuming the beach has "grill" areas? I grew up in O'side a little south from here and am VERY familiar with that area, but up here I am still "learning". Anyways, someone pick a date and let's plan for it... sound good to anyone? oh... btw... nice to meet everyone and HH \_ <--- cheesy, I know, but it's supposed to be a metal detector "signature"

the 24th and 31st fall on a sunday... i'm good for either day... and YES, it does give time to plan the thing out... NOT very familiar with those beaches AT ALL, but can obviously figure it out. I'm assuming the beach has "grill" areas? I grew up in O'side a little south from here and am VERY familiar with that area, but up here I am still "learning". Anyways, someone pick a date and let's plan for it... sound good to anyone? oh... btw... nice to meet everyone and HH \_ <--- cheesy, I know, but it's supposed to be a metal detector "signature"

I'd be up for the 31st. Huntington Beach has fire pits. Less trash there than at Docweiler.

blocko1000, also, as far as i know it is ILLEGAL to metal detect in a national forest. even driving through a national forest with a MD'er is considered an immediate offense. i don't know how "NEW" you are to MD'ing, but just thought i would throw that out there just in case you didn't know. i've done some fair share of reading, but have NO EXPERIENCE on the hobby. i've only gone to 2 local parks (in the sand only) just so that i can get somewhat familiar with my machine... and i do cover the holes that i dig... HH \_

then let's all plan for the 31st. . . start time, what to bring (how MUCH to bring as well), and what not... well, gotta go for now... didn't want to just "log off" and leave everyone hang'n. gotta do the clothes wash and eat the rest of my pasta... HH \_ everyone
I won't be logged back on until monday evening

blocko1000, also, as far as i know it is ILLEGAL to metal detect in a national forest. even driving through a national forest with a MD'er is considered an immediate offense. i don't know how "NEW" you are to MD'ing, but just thought i would throw that out there just in case you didn't know. i've done some fair share of reading, but have NO EXPERIENCE on the hobby. i've only gone to 2 local parks (in the sand only) just so that i can get somewhat familiar with my machine... and i do cover the holes that i dig... HH \_

I called and was told MD'ing in National Forest is perfectly legal. MD'ing is considered just another recreational activity EXCEPT anywhere in the vacinity of Archeological remains. National Parks are generally not legal to detect in but it pays to check on an individual basis with the Park Service.

If any are interested I make a couple trips a week into the randsburg area and or coolgardie MD,ing for gold how ever this requires being a member of GPAA or PCSC enable to gain access to thier claims. I would recommend http://prospectorsclub.org/ if interested.They have claims and access to claims in a large area and the membership fee,s are very reasonable. I also dry wash while I am out and about so if any interested in catching a ride to MD while i both dry wash and MD.Want to help dig and dry wash I split 50/50.Often I stay over night dig in morning and evening and detect during the hotter hours and lay up under cover in the peak of the day.Any questions or suggestion feel free to shoot me a tell

I am a GPAA member and I have been to Coolgardie many times. Tough place to detect and there are many open pit type mines. Basically just a tunnel in the ground and very dangerous to detect around, not to mention nuggets are rare there. I have dry washed for hours only to come home with enough flour gold to cover the bottom of a very small sample bottle.

Detecting older homesteads and encampments may be a better choice.

BTW I just spent about 2.5 hours on Will Rodgers beach this evening. I came home with 3 dimes and 6 pennies for my efforts.

The Shark

Have a great time detecting H.B. I grew up there but never started detecting until i moved here to ct. HH and i hope you guys and gals find the mother lode there. dan

coogardie is rough to detect no question to that.I have found some small pickers usually after a rain down in the washes away from where most of the activity is.The randsburg area far better but access is limited to some places unless you dont mind walking a bit or have a 4x4.A lot of old tailing piles to be gone through as well as a lot of washes.

Back
Top Bottom