Winter Blues/ Advice

Jfarley06

Well winter have pretty much put a hold on my detecting for awhile, so I have been planning my approach for spring. I just got into the hobby this year and mainly used high discrimination, unless I was specifically relic hunting. What are most peoples opinnions on how much discrimination to generally use? And if relic hunting, should you keep all your iron in or are most of your better finds right above iron? Any help is appreciated.

Hmm well the amount of discimination i use depends on how old the site is. If its an old site from around the 1800s i will just discriminate out iron and dig everything else. Not sure if im answering your question or not.

p.s in parks or schools i will do the same thing but decide if the signal is worth it before digging.

J - Over the last 30 years my disc has lowered with each year it seems. When I started detecting the old guys said "dig it all". Now that I'm an old guy I say the same :) In general hunting I keep the disc down to about 80%, digging lots of foil, tabs, nails, etc. But the gold/silver is there also. Except is recent sites where every sweep is multiple tabs - then I disc higher. But that's rare and I only use that setting instead of leaving the site.
And you can see the great advantage in detecting tot lots & such for it makes you a better detectorist for when you hit the older spots. If you dont then it's kinda like never shooting a rifle and then going out deer season and wondering why you can't hit anything.
In Civil War sites I pretty much dig it all and have been rewarded for doing so.
Good luck, Steve in so az

In some trashy areas I am concerned that too much disc will mask out a good target. So I only disc out nails and crown caps.
Often a coin can be on edge or close to trash and will only sound off in one direction

Back
Top Bottom