Deep IHs with AT Pro

DS_Digger

I just upgraded to the AT Pro this last week and I've had it out a few times in Pro mode. Still trying learn what the machine is telling me.

So a question to those experienced using your Pros...

What type of signals have you been getting on deep IHs? I love digging them (it's the oldest coin I'm likely to find with any regularity in my part of the country) but worry that a deep IH would give neither a high enough squeek nor VDI thats says "dig me". I know I could dig a hole and throw an IH in there, but I'm sure that wouldn't be nearly the same as an IH that's been sitting and corroding underground for 100 or more years.

I use the 5 X 8 and when I dig old deep coins it's usually a feint high tone that is somewhat repeatable. Sometimes I will only get the tone one way too

I love deep tones... usually everything deep will sound high with that halo effect... but a lot of the times it will be coins... Indians have the sweetest zinc penny tone... much sweeter than that garbally zinc penny. If it's deep it sounds like a faint lullaby or even makes a very sexy sound that you will NOT miss. 70-76 is an Indian Head... if they are deeper they will read a little higher because of that halo effect.

I love deep tones... usually everything deep will sound high with that halo effect... but a lot of the times it will be coins... Indians have the sweetest zinc penny tone... much sweeter than that garbally zinc penny. If it's deep it sounds like a faint lullaby or even makes a very sexy sound that you will NOT miss. 70-76 is an Indian Head... if they are deeper they will read a little higher because of that halo effect.

So, if it sounds sexy... dig it. Got it :lol:

Definitely can't recreate the halo effect in a test garden, so that's all good to know. I just want to make sure I don't miss any.

I use the 5 X 8 and when I dig old deep coins it's usually a feint high tone that is somewhat repeatable. Sometimes I will only get the tone one way too

Have you found much depth difference in the 5x8 vs the stock coil? Some of the yards I've detected the old coins are DEEP, but there's also a fair amount of trash so the smaller coil could come in real handy. I'm thinking I should pick one up regardless.

DS,

All the old coins I have found have been with the 5X8. Probably cause I haven 't taken it off since I got it.lol The stock coil is deeper but the 5x8 separates 100% better. I get great depth with the 5x8 6 to 8 inches or so.
Had a friend with atpro at same house using stock coil come over and sweep my faint target and he got a more solid tone. I found way more stuff going over the areas he had already covered though with the stock coil. He was shocked and amazed by that. In conclusion, 5x8 is a must and probably will never put on stock coil again since I got 12x13 tornado now to.

Digs

I must be the oddball on here cause the 5IH's I've pulled so far were all 78/79. Lots of guys say low to mid 70's. Id just dig everything that sound good and learn it on your own. The. VDI is not always reliable but the tones are.

Hey guys, nice post

I have the at pro for about 10 months now but still not used to the DD coil. Is this 5x8 coil concentric or DD?

I rely on my Fisher F5 for ease of use but am I missing something by not using the pro?

Let me know what you think

5x8 is a DD coil, in heavy trash areas it is a wonder. You really need to get it.
It will make your atpro a whole new detector again. You will have to go rehit all the places you already hit with the stock coil cause you didn't get everything I promise.

The 1862 that we found yesterday was hitting 61-62 on my AT Pro.

I guess the "fatties" give lower VDI's due to the extra thickness, mass, and the different metal composition?

Composition
(1859–1864) 88% copper, 12% nickel
(1864–1909) 95% copper, 5% tin or zinc

Mass
(1859–1864) 4.67 g
(1864–1909) 3.11 g

Bought my 5x8 from Bart at bigboyhobbies last October and absolutely love it. Went back to parks that I hit hard with the stock coil and found lots that I missed.
The only times I take off the 5x8 and go back to the stock is if I'm in a field or a place i know that doesn't have much trash. The stock will get me just a tad better depth
But for houses, parks, schools the 5x8 is the way to go because of the separation and I believe it gives you a more accurate reading with the VDI

Bought my 5x8 from Bart at bigboyhobbies last October and absolutely love it. Went back to parks that I hit hard with the stock coil and found lots that I missed.
The only times I take off the 5x8 and go back to the stock is if I'm in a field or a place i know that doesn't have much trash. The stock will get me just a tad better depth
But for houses, parks, schools the 5x8 is the way to go because of the separation and I believe it gives you a more accurate reading with the VDI

Glad you like it Chris!

Back
Top Bottom