Coil Covers

MaineHunter

I did not get a coil cover when I got my ATPro about a month ago. I noticed a few scratches on the bottom of the coil. I am wondering if I should get one or not. Do you lose any depth? Do coils actually wear thru or just get scratched? Are they worth their additional cost? All and any opinions are welcome. Tell me if I am right not having one or dumb for not having one. Thanks

I have a coil cover on everything. Not much weight difference and with the price of a new coil well worth it to me. No difference in depth that I can tell.

Think about using a bedliner coating on your coils.
I have it on all my coils - works well and is very rugged.
I also have it on my pinpointed as well

do not see any lose of depth

+1 Just make sure to get the non metallic stuff!

I have already on my second coil cover, the first one wore out and fell off, I'm glad it wasn't my coil that took all that wear!!

Depth loss is guaranteed, about an 1/8th inch..:roll:

<*)))>{

I have the cover on my AT Pro. Take it off every so often to keep it clean. (especially if i am in salt water) Just need to be careful removing it. They fit pretty tightly.

I have been detecting for over 30 years. I have covers for all my coils. The only time I will put one on is if the area will be rocky. Other than stones, I nevre use a cover. I have never had a coil wear out. I dont buy a detector to resale it. I buy them to use and I keep them... KEN

I have been detecting for over 30 years. I have covers for all my coils. The only time I will put one on is if the area will be rocky. Other than stones, I nevre use a cover. I have never had a coil wear out. I dont buy a detector to resale it. I buy them to use and I keep them... KEN

Experience counts !! decided to not buy a coil cover. saving my money for a quality sand scoop figured Im keeping it so I don't mind a few scratches. Wouldn't mind one for transportation though !!

If you hunt sand you can wear a coil out pretty quick..

A lot of beach guys coat theirs with marine epoxy...

<*)))>{

I started out without one, it got scratched and the detector went nuts... found out it was that, got a coil cover and now i'm worry free.. If you don't get one it's going to be in the back of your head all the time that you might scratch it, and it will affect your hunting. I get a little rough sometimes in the terrain I hunt, and with coil covers... no worries. The depth loss is microscopic. Not a problem. Hope this helps. HH

Not me. 80% of my coils are un-covered and nary show a single sign of wear. Covers get junk trapped inside and do add weight. As far as the resale feature...overrated. NOW, if I was hunting in the rocky mountains, I'd likely change my mind.

The only coils I have that are covered, are the ones which came covered, and I've taken many off on purpose. martin

$8 price for the one for my machine but the sponsor I bought it from included it with no charge. It does definitely add weight to the machine and changes balance. It does get water and sand inside, even with a tight fit. Still worth it to me :D

If you do a lot of scrubbing , then I'd get one. Scrubbing is when you actually scrub the coil on the ground while MDing. I had a cover on my Ace stock coil since I got it. My f2 , I don't have a cover on it. Don't notice any difference in depth. It's wise to have a cover on the coil however, keeps em looking new and protects em.

I coat some coils. BHID300 and the same coil running the super12 on my DFX is too nose heavy with a coil cover. Spray with bed liner and touch up wear spots. Also helps falsing issues when water in sand would be between the cover and coil

Not me. 80% of my coils are un-covered and nary show a single sign of wear. Covers get junk trapped inside and do add weight. As far as the resale feature...overrated. NOW, if I was hunting in the rocky mountains, I'd likely change my mind.

The only coils I have that are covered, are the ones which came covered, and I've taken many off on purpose. martin

Sorry if I don't believe that statement in bold...cmon, not a single scratch or nick huh? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom