Overwhelmed and have questions!

TheStelt

Hi all, my dad helped a little old lady out and in return she gave him her late husbands coin collection. He knows I'm interested in old coins and he didn't want to deal with it as its a little overwhelming! So my question is where do I start. It looks like he labeled some of them date/mark. But there are others that looked mixed, I was wondering do I trust his labels? Or should I go through all of them? And there are tons of penny/dime/nickels that are 64+, why would he keep those and is there any value?? Attached are a few pics, one with a tub of labeled and no label rolls and all of the silver rolls I have found so far!:lol: 3-90% 3-40% 1 labeled silver in Halves, 6 silver dimes, 2 silver nickels. Any info would be great thank in advance!!

GL & HH!!

Attachments

• Tub 1.jpg
    Tub 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 462
  • Silver.jpg
    Silver.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 460
WOW dude that's some serious dough rite there! I will give u all the money I have to my name rite now for that collection which is 200 buks :laughing:

Oh man...that is awesome! If it was me I would go through everything! But I enjoy the hunt...even got my 2 kids into it. (Thumbs up for free child labor!!! Haha)

As far as post 1964 dimes and nickels, not really sure why they were horded. Any chance they are proofs or uncirculated? Now the pennies...When my grandfather died 15 years ago we found over $20,000 in pennies (1959 thru 1982) stacked in his closet. It was stacked to the ceiling and the floor was caving in. We're talking about 2,000,000 pennies! Believe it or not I used them to buy a new car...lol.

The pennies are horded for the copper content in the hopes that some day copper prices go way up and it becomes legal to melt them.

I would go through every single coin. Check every single year, every single mint mark, every single thing! You got one helluva collection right there! If you don't want to take the time to go through it all, let me know and I'll take it off your hands :D

Pre 1964 dimes and quarters are 90% silver. Mid year 1942 to mid year 1945 nickles are 35% silver. 1965-1970 half dollars are 40% and 1964 and earlier are 90%

Keep an eye out for an 1916-d winged liberty head dime. That's worth quite a bit of $.

Personally I would sit down with a coin book and look for all the key dates then sell them either here or on feepay depending on what you find.

There are quite a few coins that have decent collector value. You may have some in that pile. It would not surprise me for a second.

As for the halves... they only hold silver value if they are pre 1970 and it looks as if those all are.

Nice hoard you got there.

Tell you what, so you won't have to go through the hassle of going through them, you can give them to me ;) haha jk incredible haul man! Sooo jealous!!

The reason people separated their copper pennies from the zinc is the exact same reason why (intelligent) people separated silver pre65 coinage from the new copper-clad variety. At the time (60s) silver was only a little more then 2-3x face value. Ditto pennies with copper today, they fluctuate between 2-3x face value. In 10-20 years that will in all likelihood only increase (not unlike silver). The government saying don't bother hoarding, cant melt etc were said in the 60s as well regarding silver. Those that didnt buy it then profited, ditto today. People can/will profit from pre82 pennies and its unfortunate that you guys just spent it all at face value when your grandfather obviously spent time separating them..

I take all my change, roll it, separate the coppers from the zinc. When I have 25$ in qtr/nickels/dimes I get a 25$ box of pennies. When I fill a coffee can I deposit the loose zincs at my bank. I mark on my copper penny containers, Cu, do not cash.. hopefully that advice is heeded by my next of kin if I die before cashing out. Don't believe there is value in pre82 pennies?

check out this link..
http://www.providentmetals.com/5000-piece-bag-copper-lincoln-pennies-over-32-pounds-pure-copper.html

thats 50$ worth of face value pennies for $109. Its been as high as about $160.

Oh man...that is awesome! If it was me I would go through everything! But I enjoy the hunt...even got my 2 kids into it. (Thumbs up for free child labor!!! Haha)

As far as post 1964 dimes and nickels, not really sure why they were horded. Any chance they are proofs or uncirculated? Now the pennies...When my grandfather died 15 years ago we found over $20,000 in pennies (1959 thru 1982) stacked in his closet. It was stacked to the ceiling and the floor was caving in. We're talking about 2,000,000 pennies! Believe it or not I used them to buy a new car...lol.

The pennies are horded for the copper content in the hopes that some day copper prices go way up and it becomes legal to melt them.

I can tell you this... The person that has a collection of coins that large, knows what he has. I'd be willing to bet that there are quite a few key dates in the mix.

There's a good amount of silver there as well so do a little research on the coins or post them here and we can help you out.

In addition to a good coin book for general info, you might want to also think about picking up the Cherrypickers' Guide. It comes in two volumes and shows the die differences that can add a lot of value to an otherwise common coin. Vol 1 covers coins up to a nickel and Vol 2 the rest.

If those coins have been sitting around for a while chances are good they haven't been searched for a lot of the varieties.

Happy hunting!

Steve

I would start with the 2014 Official Redbook of coin values.

Go to this sight http://www.cointalk.com Get a good coin book [Red Book, but is a retail book] and learn what you have, before you start spending or selling any, so you have an idea of what you have. Find a coin club in your area, and go and ask questions and see what is offered at auction they have. I have a large collections of coins and currency, and my kids, have no idea, of the value. One cent, can be worth $1500.00, and they would just spend it as a cent. :no::no::no: If you have a coin shop close by, you could take some and see what they offer, but you do not have to accept the offer. Example: Retale value= $100.00; dealer offer $40 to $60, if an honest dealer.:no::no:

Wow!! What an adventure you have ahead of you. I'm envious. Don't feel overwhelmed. Just take it one coin at a time and enjoy yourself. Most of us would love to be in your shoes with such an endeavor. All the above advice is good. As also said, just post any questions with a pic or two. Someone will know the answer. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom