• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

F2 experts Need some advise please....

kozman4907

Elite Member
Ok I have been learning in my yard and various other places. I have found some kool stuff. I can dig a plug now that is fair. Even learning the coin pop with a probe. :D But I need some help "listening".

Ok I try to swing slow and walk even slower but when I get a hit on an object. I stop and search the area . I will get a high note, then swing over it again then get a lower tone followed by a high tone. I get number that range from very low to 98+. I have had this occur a few time. I dig and find mixed bag. found clad coins and then find trash.

What I find so frustrating is that I can't hear/find what I have read is a "good steady tone" What can I do? I do love this MD'ing stuff!

Koz

The best advise I can give you is to search posts by Digger27, he knows the F2 inside and out, very detailed post, and he may answer you too. I did, and it helped tremendously. GL.

I read some of that thread but wow its long...........lol I will check it out some more.

High tones in the 90's like this are usually junk.
I have dug only 5 targets in the 90's that were good out of thousands and thousands that were not...especially anything in the high nineties.
Even 2 large silver halves and a 1978 Eisenhower dollar were in the 90's but all 3 were 91's or 92's.
I suppose something huge and great "could" come in at those very high 90 numbers or even overload into 00+, (have you seen that number yet...it is on there), but I am not a relic hunter and have no experience with targets like these.
Unless it is a a civil war rifle or sword or something like that and you are in an area where these type of relics might be found my advice is those high 90 numbers should be avoided, especially when you are new at this.

Those very high numbers can show up if you are swinging over large items, trash items like huge pieces of iron, flattened cans that are shallow and more.
Also, if you swing too fast over ANYTHING the F2 can and will false into the higher sections than where the object should and would usually come in so if you are getting a bunch of these signals slow your swing down...a lot.
These high number false tone are going to be "squeaky", not solid and full like a coin would be so keep swinging and listening to all tones to get better at this stuff...and you will.
Plus, good targets will repeat in the exact same place and usually from all angles...these very high tone false ones might seem like they repeat in the EXACT SAME PLACE...but they really don't.
All part of learning the F2, and in time and after enough signals are heard and holes are dug most come to understand what I am talking about.

War and Peace is long.
The F2 thread is a cakewalk compared to that.

That thread is not the only place I write about the F2.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=146749

Maybe I should compile it all, organize it and publish an E-book.

To me high tones, mid tones and, low tones all sound the same but i followed diggers27 advice and don't dig nothing that jumps more than 2 numbers and its true anything that jumps more than 2 # is trash also new state quarters come in +.

I also took Digger27 advice on not to dig targets that jump more than 2 numbers and it really works. My back wishes I knew this sooner lol.:D

Back
Top Bottom