• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Live Ammo ?

Gransrism

Forum Supporter
Hi guys, Got a question. Was Mding in a School tot lot this morning and discovered a live ammo about 2 inches long, brassy looking thing (real up on my ammo) Would ask my husband the type
but he is working with disaster relief at the moment. Anyway, what is the protocol. Do I keep it for "good luck" or drop it off at local police.
What do you all do? It made me feel real bad that this was found in a elementary school playground, but thank ful it is out of there now.
Thanks

OK, first off, what you have isn't dangerous as it sits. The caliber will be stamped on the end (It might say something like "9mm luger" or ".40 S&W"). A single round of ammo isn't worth pestering the police over. It's not highly explosive or anything. If you want to keep it, keep it, otherwise pitch it in the trash.
I'll admit it's a bit disturbing finding it on school grounds, but some kid probably found it and lugged it to school to show off and either lost it or ditched it. Kids are like raccoons sometimes, you know, "ooooh, shiiiiineeey".

Of course, school's out right now, so who knows where it came from?

Now, if you happen to dig up a magazine full, or worse yet an actual firearm, then yeah, get the coppers involved by all means.

If you need to know more about it, feel free to PM me....licensed firearm collector for 20 years.

Good advice from cammobunker... I remember kids bringing cartridges to school... as a matter of fact... when I was a kid, we frequently brought in our shotguns and put them behind the teachers desk so we could go after some small game after school in the fall. No one ever batted an eye then...would cause a city to shut down now. RickO

Live ammo is frequently dug here in so az. I have about 50 or more over the years - almost all from tot lots, steve in so az

Its amazing how much of that stuff turns up in tot lots!!!
Only ammo I've ever found were a couple of musket balls. LOL

Char

Thanks guys, for the info. I admit it freaked me out finding it in a school play ground. I feel much better now. I can tell I have a lot to learn in the md life. You all are terrific at explaining. I have already learned so much.

Thanks Again

So what was the caliber? I would agree the unspent round is safe keep it and add it to your collection you'll find more, it happens.

On one of our rallies a few years ago, someone found a live 20mm cannon shell.
One of our braver (sillier) detectorists broke it in half and set light to it.
A puff of smoke and it was all gone.

The only ammo related items I have found (Besides those in my own yard :) ) were spent .22 shells and yes, they were in a school playground.

Back
Top Bottom