frustrating

gunwolf

Elite Member
E-trac, OK...right out of the box, turn on and go? went to a spot that has been a clad zone for me and my son in the past.
I tried the stock out of the box settings for coins this morning....an hour of reading all kinds of numbers and digging just a few PT's. and rusty nails.
hour two..switch to the Andy Sabish coin pattern ...few bottle caps and some can slaw.
hour three...switch to Goes4Ever's settings and ran in TTF, nothing but all kinds of numbers and tones bouncing all over the place.:?: I couldn't move the coil six inches without hearing a tone and having different numbers popup...nothing steady.
meanwhile my son and his friend MDing the same areas I was with his ACE 150 found a gold plated necklace two wheaties and $2.75 in clad...

here is what I was mostly running,
stock coin program
sensitivity on both manual 20 and auto
recovery deep off
recovery fast on
trash density high
ground difficult

threshold 17
volume limit 30
volume gain 30
response normal
tone ID 2
threshold pitch 28

anyone see anything I'm doing wrong? why would an ACE150 out coinshoot a $1500 E-trac? I know there is a learning curve, but right out of the box guys are finding stuff and I am having a great time digging to get nothing. (well besides junk)

TTF is for very thick iron lots of nails and other ferrous trash
its an all metal setting all the low tones are ferrous and the high tones are non ferrous
when i run TTF i turn the volume down so it doesnt drive you crazy
i would not mess with TTF until you figure out conductive tones too confusing going back and fourth
the etrac will find stuff even nulled out
throw some coins on the ground and listen to the sounds
it takes a little while to get use to conductive tones
try to find a place with little trash

best advice is to run the machine in the stock coin mode with the upper right hand corner opened up (1/40 thru 1/43 for big silver) for several hours until you get used to it, hunt a school or somewhere you know clad can be found for practice getting used to the tones & numbers. once ya have a good feel for the machine then mess with settings

that is just what I did...I ran in the stock coin mode for the first hour. my son was finding coins, I threw them on the ground and they were spot on...12-43 and so on.
I have MD'd this area several times before and always find clad(high traffic area) my ace 250 worked great here...the E-trac in stock coin mode seems to let all kinds of tones and numbers in, none of them are steady they are bouncing all over the place. I know I have to swing slower than the ace, but all that did was create more tones and numbers.
I'm just confused how I can do an area in stock coin mode and not get one strong good signal, and the ACE150 my son was using going over the same area had strong coin signals that he dug and found clad.

I was just thinking about this...do you think having my sensitivity on 20 may be too high? should I start way lower and work my way up?

thanks...the more I think about it , was just like when I started with my ace 250 on the factory settings...the sens. was way too high and the machine was going crazy with falsing. I am going to try the auto +3 next time out.

thanks...the more I think about it , was just like when I started with my ace 250 on the factory settings...the sens. was way too high and the machine was going crazy with falsing. I am going to try the auto +3 next time out.

it should work alot better
i still get fooled by a nail every once and a while:lol:

Your settings were not bad. I would use Autosens +3 starting off!

Stay with conductive tones for now, and multi so you can start learning what things sound like.

I would also put the gain a little lower so you can tell the difference in sound between a beer can on the surface and a dime 4 inches deep, a little better.

Like the guy above said start with the coin program and open up the upper right corner so you don't miss big silver, or just open the coin program, then open quickmask and black out FE 23 and lower and load it into the current program by pressing the button with the detector on it. Save this as another program so you can load it quick.

Then just dig things on the FE 12 line give or take a few points and lower to an Fe of 1.

For now, skip pull tabs and bottle caps when they sound off from 12-15 to 12-34 (of course this is where most gold rings fall, but skip for now)

Skip foil (for now) 12-11 and lower

Skip more bottle caps (for now) 12-40 to 12-37

Dig nickels 12-13, pennies and dimes 12-43 to 12-45, pennies 12-41 to 12-42, and 12-35, 12-36 (zincolns sparingly for now) Quarters 12-46, 12-47, give or take a few points on FE and Co. FE can go all the way to 01 on any target once in a while too.

Dig a few extra pulltabs, and zincolns so your beginners luck might kick in and get you gold!!! Gold is hard on the E-Trac because this machine spoils you so bad on the silver.

thanks for all the info! well I couldn't wait so I went out to my side yard(many a coin there with the ACE250) . I had the machine in auto sens +3 and it seemed alot better. I wasn't out there for ten minutes and I got a 13-43...i dug at 10" and got my first wheaty with the E-trac! nothing special just a 1941, but that means I broke the ice!
back out there again tomorrow, thanks guys for all the help with my stupid questions .

forgot to mention that it was dark outside...gotta love that backlight!!!!!

I'll second RyanChappell's advice. Don't worry about missing a few items. Just dig the sweet spot for now.

I think your main problem with the last hunt was that you were in manual sensitivity. E-trac does an excellent job of keeping the sensitivity set on its own for most situations. Especially getting started. Auto +2 or +3 is a very solid way to run and will quiet all those random sounds.

i set mine up just like goes4ever and its been working well.......

sensitivity auto +3
threshold limit just barely audible
volume limit 29
volume gain 29
response normal
tone id multi
sounds conductive
variability 29
limits 29
threshold pitch 28-29 makes silver scream out
deep off
fast on