H E L P

Thats the theory but why all the posts where Sovereigns are not running well with NiCads and NiMi's ? (I use 2000 mAh NiMi's). The Sovereign rechargable pack uses 10 x 1.2 rechargables = 12 volts.
The alkaline holder only allows 8 X 1.2 = 9.6 so you start off fairly near the minimum operating voltage. Rechargable alkalines get round the problem but they have their own drawbacks.
No problem with the Explorer as it was designed to cope.
You also mention NiMi's having no memory and whilst many battery sites did say this on the net further research has led to that being revised to something like 'while NiMi's suffer less from memory effect than NiCads they are prone to developing it and conditioning every 3 to 5 hours is needed to combat the problem'.

Brian,
The memory of NIMH's is pure fallacy.
To give you a little background. I competatively fly and race radio control ELECTRIC planes and race cars. The competition is VERY fierce. Part of the competative edge is squeezing out every electron from our batteries. There is a whole science in battery technology and useage, in which I am well schooled. I have a flying wing that hits level flight speeds of 120 mph on 8 AA NIMH 's. The race cars do 40 - 70 mph depending on vehicle class. We use computerized battery chargers/cyclers which can cost from $75 to $ 600.00. Trust what I say!! I will as stated do a sticky on batteries, but do not have the time right now.

Bill

Your not the only one with other hobbies and as far as car raceing thats exactly where the information came from. A reference was made to research conducted in the U.S.(one of your big Universities) and it specifically said that at this moment in time the only way for the hobbyist to escape memory effect was to go Lithium-ion (Li-ion). They also do not suffer the one to five percent per day drop in power of the NiMi's. In fact thats a plus to NiCads as well...they don't suffer such a drain when standing idle.
As far as detecting is concerned the only drawback (Li-ion) apart from price is the lack of standard sizes and the fact that cells are around 3.7 volts. Thats why machines with little room in the battery compartment are being fitted with under-armrest pods.(the cells also have a weight advantage).
If you want a U.S. site to refer to then www.weeno.com or www.cellpower.com can bring you up to date or refer to Desi Dunn of Minelab www.minelabowners.com refering to the Sovereign ' at 10.3 volts exactly the warning pip operates. At 10 volts and below the threshold will increase and the machine will give that loud howl with a diminishing threshold audio'.

Back
Top Bottom