5x8 coil for AT Pro

I never did the hard reset after changing coils , works just fine without it. There is nothing different about the coils but their size , so no need to reset. The detector cant tell the difference between the coils , they work the same.

Just keep this in mind...

The stock coil is very optimistic in its tones, i.e.. if you get a deep target that sounds a little bit like a coin bit very iffy, it may be a coin but probably not...

Now with the 5x8- If you get a very deep iffy signal that sounds like it could be a coin, there is a good chance it is!

The smaller coil will hit pretty deep with no more than an inch of depth loss compared to the bigger stock coil.. I have found silver dimes and wheats at 9 inches plenty with the 5x8..

Another line of thought that you or others reading this might not have grasped yet...

Knowing how your coils field is shaped underground will help you understand how if you intend to not miss any good targets, you don't really loose out on coverage using the smaller coil.. With either coil, it is best to overlap your swings a lot, only moving forward 2 inches every swing. Using this method you will be getting the MOST coverage of your deepest targetable zone. The size of your field gets smaller as you get further away from your coil, meaning you can here a shallow target on three separate swings as your moving forward, where as the deepest targets you will only pick once up if your coil is centered directly over it. On the deepest targets, one inch forward or back can result in not hearing anything...

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

Ice Thanks for the good info. What you say makes sense.

I usually go 1/2 the coil on a swing with the stock coil but I think I am going to tighten it up with the 5X8 coil.

I find that the stock coil *does* go deeper and has a better response in dry or low conductivity conditions.
I use both, and here is why. The stock coil goes deeper at older sites.
However, I start out with the 5x8 coil. It is easier to pick out good items in between the trash, provided the ground is not too dry. If I am seeing good stuff in between trash, or am on a VERY old site, I always clean up the trash layers, go over again with the 5x8 and the 9x11. I have gone repeatedly back to my favorite honey hole, and I could have sworn I had sanitized one field area of any signal over 35, but after our most recent heavy rain I pulled more silver out of that area, as well as some wheats and a tiny gold heart that was half of a locket. All targets were deeper than 6 inches. I think the heart was at 8-9".
The 5x8 seems more sensitive to smaller targets. Maybe it just makes it easier for us to find them.
I do agree that in an area with many targets and iron, you can swing the stock coil slower and I have done so, but when I went back with the 5x8 I found items I missed. I like to go back and forth between the 2 coils, repeatedly gridding an area.

The 5x8 is a great coil. Just make sure you slow down a bit with your walking speed. Very easy to miss covering all the dirt beneath your feet when going to a smaller coil.

Back
Top Bottom