etrac advice on junk targets near a good target

coin whisperer

Elite Member
I seem to always run into this problem, so I'm hunting and get a signal so I sweep over the target trying to read the numbers but as soon as I swing the coil to any side I get hits on other targets that are near my solid target and I can not get good readings and when I wanna quick mask it the quick mask wants to read the junk targets before my coil gets back to the desired target. Any tips on how I can improve my readings on my desired target? Thanks in advance and HH hunting

And one more thing why when I put on quick mask, it will just be a blank screen with no I'd readings or the little box in the box until I raise the coil some or have to sweep the target two or three times sometimes

I am no expert on my etrac, but what I've noticed in that situation is the I have to slow the sweep way down. If I get a good tone out of the sweep and occasionally see a good conductive number, then I will try to barely wiggle the coil over the good tone to see if I can tighten up the VDI. Depending on the sound, how repeatable it is, and what the conductivity number is, I will dig it or decide its junk.

The key I think though is to slow way way way down with the swipe.

It sounds like you are detuning the target. Your coil needs to be to side of your good signal when you press pinpoint. Or you will cancel out your good target. Put the coil to side and push pinpoint. Sweep across your target and mark it. Turn 90 degrees to your target and do the process again. A good target will sound from two different directions most of the time. When in doubt dig it up.

If I understand your prob, you sweep the coil by a target and get a good high tone and the numbers did not lock on the high because you hit some junk next to the high tone spot. If this is so, the junk target is larger and or shallower than the "good" target.... or they are possibly just too dang close together.

I run into this all the time with my machine. I try several things to get some clear numbers to make my dig/no dig decision. I rarely us the unmask, some do, I just have not found it overly helpful. The first thing I do is sweep the target from different angles. This will usually work because if the junk was on the left side of the good target and I change my seep 90 or 45 degrees in will many times eliminate the junk from being read and my "good" numbers will lock in.

If changing the angle does not work well, then I place the coil over the good sound and wiggle it a bit till I get only the good target numbers.

At this point, if I am not convinced I have the number locked in well and cant get only a good tone, I switch to two tone ferrous. In this mode it take a number of sweeps/wiggles to get the number to lock but I can still tell if it is iron falseing or an actual non ferrous target.

I still dig some targets even if I cannot get the numbers to lock as long as I can get a consistent high tone in co multi tone or a solid non ferrous in two tone fe. The tone and consistency is telling me that there is a non ferrous target there that is more than likely good target. It could be a silver coin, big heavy gold, a brass compact, water hose nozzle, etc.

If am at an old house site I dig all of these type targets. In a school yard, not so much.

Nothing wrong with your machine, we all go through this. You may want to get a small coil also. Something like a 5 inch sunray. I use a smaller coil in some more "trashy" areas to better separate targets. The normal, stock, 11in pro coil that comes with the machine works very well also but slowing down and doing the things I mentioned above.

These things have worked for me. I claim to be no "expert", but I have been swinging my e machine for about 3 years and am pretty comfortable with it.

Oh, I did not go over the basic settings stuff. Get the e-trac book by Andy S. for that stuff. Hope this helps a bit. I know that you will work through these issues if you keep at it. Happy Hunting!

If I understand your prob, you sweep the coil by a target and get a good high tone and the numbers did not lock on the high because you hit some junk next to the high tone spot. If this is so, the junk target is larger and or shallower than the "good" target.... or they are possibly just too dang close together.

I run into this all the time with my machine. I try several things to get some clear numbers to make my dig/no dig decision. I rarely us the unmask, some do, I just have not found it overly helpful. The first thing I do is sweep the target from different angles. This will usually work because if the junk was on the left side of the good target and I change my seep 90 or 45 degrees in will many times eliminate the junk from being read and my "good" numbers will lock in.

If changing the angle does not work well, then I place the coil over the good sound and wiggle it a bit till I get only the good target numbers.

At this point, if I am not convinced I have the number locked in well and cant get only a good tone, I switch to two tone ferrous. In this mode it take a number of sweeps/wiggles to get the number to lock but I can still tell if it is iron falseing or an actual non ferrous target.

I still dig some targets even if I cannot get the numbers to lock as long as I can get a consistent high tone in co multi tone or a solid non ferrous in two tone fe. The tone and consistency is telling me that there is a non ferrous target there that is more than likely good target. It could be a silver coin, big heavy gold, a brass compact, water hose nozzle, etc.

If am at an old house site I dig all of these type targets. In a school yard, not so much.

Nothing wrong with your machine, we all go through this. You may want to get a small coil also. Something like a 5 inch sunray. I use a smaller coil in some more "trashy" areas to better separate targets. The normal, stock, 11in pro coil that comes with the machine works very well also but slowing down and doing the things I mentioned above.

These things have worked for me. I claim to be no "expert", but I have been swinging my e machine for about 3 years and am pretty comfortable with it.

Oh, I did not go over the basic settings stuff. Get the e-trac book by Andy S. for that stuff. Hope this helps a bit. I know that you will work through these issues if you keep at it. Happy Hunting!

thanks for the tips, I really need that book by andy but 50 bucks? I'm hoping to find a used one on ebay

No need to swing wide. Just use the wobble (3 inches side to side) and hit it from different angles to narrow it down.

No need to swing wide. Just use the wobble (3 inches side to side) and hit it from different angles to narrow it down.

Usually when I do that the signal on the screen does not move so I don't no if the darn thing is getting that steady a number or if it's just froze

It sounds like you are detuning the target. Your coil needs to be to side of your good signal when you press pinpoint. Or you will cancel out your good target. Put the coil to side and push pinpoint. Sweep across your target and mark it. Turn 90 degrees to your target and do the process again. A good target will sound from two different directions most of the time. When in doubt dig it up.

Good post!

In this case put your coil over where you think the good target is located and just barely wiggle it. It doesn't take much motion to get a signal. Also, to get your TID to update try raising the coil straight up until the threshold returns. There are however times when the junk target is just too close so if you are a good tone mixed in with a trash tone. Go ahead on dig it. Sometimes you will get a pleasant surprise.

thanks for the tips, in the month since I posted this subject I've really have come along well with the etrac

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for the tips, in the month since I posted this subject I've really have come along well with the etrac

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

Yes it takes a bit of patience. The Minelab E-Trac process so much more info they have to be hunted slow. AUDIO AUDIO AUDIO. #'s can and will lie.

Once you learn the tones it is an AMAZING silver machine. Most call it the "silver sucker"! lol

Back
Top Bottom