I swear by an 8" coil over a 10"

I don't know what it is, I've had three excals, 2 x 10s and now the 7.25 and i don't seem to get many targets from them when I go out. The 7.25 is a strange one, sometimes it picks up too much interference, sometimes it's very quiet. It seems like it's too sensitive sometimes, like it struggles with beach mineralisation and doesn't go deep in noisy areas.

I won't give up on it though, I have found some deep junk rings that shows its potential.

different beaches require different sens setting and I am assuming this is your problem,,,,,and like others said on the thread, there are times when the 10" will do better because of low iron content and cover more ground,,,,extreme iron content, the 8" will shine,,,,,regardless, I have done real depth testing on the beach in wet sand with both white/yellow gold, small and large gold, and the 8" does not loose depth,,,,BUT, not all machines are the same,,,,they are electronics and some will be better made than others,,,,I am extremely lucky on my 8" and just hope I get lots more time out of it before she dies,,,GL HH

I'd like to try an 8 inch, especially for the snorkeling and working in tight places.
Do you notice any other differences between the two coils, like one seems more stable at certain depths, or anything like that?

I'd like to try an 8 inch, especially for the snorkeling and working in tight places.
Do you notice any other differences between the two coils, like one seems more stable at certain depths, or anything like that?

Z, without a doubt the 8" seems more stable to me just for the reason that the 10" is absorbing more minerals,,,,,in turn also means the 8" hit targets harder,,,,and no way that ring would have been in the pouch with the 10",,,,some may disagree with me but I have had enough time on both to see those differences,,,,,,never the less easier to swing on days with strong current and/or waves,,,,,as far as certain depths,,,,no, both machines I sometime have to adjust sens when I get out there deeper,,,GL HH

I disagree with you.....:laughing::laughing::laughing: If that 10" isnt getting as much depth as the 8" you need ANOTHER new coil.... i hear ML sells um cheap.:laughing:

Dew

There is a reason manufacturer put an 8 in coil on most machines and that is because your detector is best calibrated to that size coil

You may be right about that, but it doesnt make sense to me. Most machines come with a 10" coil. That size is a good average between a larger and smaller coil. Also, a small coil HALO isnt affected as much by soil or EMI when processing the signal. Its like machine freqs..... most single freq are around 6kHz.... a good average so its not affected by EMI and acquires reasonable depth. The more you move up or down the freq those factors change. Id dare say the machine isnt calibrated to any coil per sa..... but the coil is calibrated to the specs of the machine. You further calibrate the coil using the adjustments on the machine to the conditions you hunt.

Dew

I disagree with you.....:laughing::laughing::laughing: If that 10" isnt getting as much depth as the 8" you need ANOTHER new coil.... i hear ML sells um cheap.:laughing:

Dew

Dew, would be happy to test that with you on our next hunt in the wet sand,,,,,,,it will surprise you,,,,,It did me,,,,, believe the reason is because absorbing less minerals,,,,,OR, like I keep saying, that machine is just hotter,,,,,,dunno,,,,besides, using the 8" is less chance of breaking the shaft,,,,:lol:, I know, that one just stole my karma and I am going to back to getting my tail kicked by you like always,,,,:roll:GL HH

There is a reason manufacturer put an 8 in coil on most machines and that is because your detector is best calibrated to that size coil

I know that could be true with the fisher cz20/21's, each machine is setup for the coil that it is sold with, but not the Excalibur.

Dew, would be happy to test that with you on our next hunt in the wet sand,,,,,,,it will surprise you,,,,,It did me,,,,, believe the reason is because absorbing less minerals,,,,,OR, like I keep saying, that machine is just hotter,,,,,,dunno,,,,besides, using the 8" is less chance of breaking the shaft,,,,:lol:, I know, that one just stole my karma and I am going to back to getting my tail kicked by you like always,,,,:roll:GL HH

Let me come down with the SEF 10x12 and show you everything you are missing with "minime" :laughing:

They tune the CZ's at the factory. That is why the coils are not interchangeable. I do believe my CZ with a 10" coil is deeper than most. HOWEVER I have used it so much I know what it is telling me.

We don't have deep sand here like you do in Florida so there is no way to compare. The only deep sand is on the west side of the state in lake Michigan.

I believe user experience is the key. I pulled a barber quarter out of some deep sand, the signal was week and iffy BUT, I knew my machine, just like Craig and anybody else with years of experience knows his.

We are almost getting to another thread on which machine is better!! Bigger isn't always better, experience is better. My 2¢

Back
Top Bottom