Tracker IV vs F-2

Airwolf222b

The first detector I purchased was a BH Tracker IV at Hobby Lobby to get my feet wet in the hobby. I've enjoyed it but I feel like I would really like to take a step up. A buddy uses an ACE 350 and I thought it was ok, but I really like the F-2. My question is this. Will I get better depth and better target ID with the F-2 over the BH? Or is it more or less just a better made machine with a few extra bells and whistles on the F-2?

I know on my BH that anything more than about 4", the signal can get iffy. All Metal mode on the BH increases the depth to about a solid 6 to 7". However there is now no target ID. Everything has the same tone. So I'm digging constantly. And in these parks I'm in, that include grills by the pavilions, I'm digging up foil, pull tabs, bits of cans that were burned etc etc etc. I could honestly dig about every 2 feet. But if I discriminate, I'm back to about 4" of depth.

So over all. Especially for those of you that have used both machines...will it increase my depth and allow me to find better stuff? Or do I need to save up for something better?

Thank you for your time!

Nick

The simple answer....YES! It will be a great upgrade, since you are used to the tone order of the Tracker. Buy it and don't regret it.

The first detector I purchased was a BH Tracker IV at Hobby Lobby to get my feet wet in the hobby. I've enjoyed it but I feel like I would really like to take a step up. A buddy uses an ACE 350 and I thought it was ok, but I really like the F-2. My question is this. Will I get better depth and better target ID with the F-2 over the BH? Or is it more or less just a better made machine with a few extra bells and whistles on the F-2?

I know on my BH that anything more than about 4", the signal can get iffy. All Metal mode on the BH increases the depth to about a solid 6 to 7". However there is now no target ID. Everything has the same tone. So I'm digging constantly. And in these parks I'm in, that include grills by the pavilions, I'm digging up foil, pull tabs, bits of cans that were burned etc etc etc. I could honestly dig about every 2 feet. But if I discriminate, I'm back to about 4" of depth.

So over all. Especially for those of you that have used both machines...will it increase my depth and allow me to find better stuff? Or do I need to save up for something better?

Thank you for your time!

Nick

"A"...Yes you should get better depth but a lot depends on your soil.
If you have decent dirt, you should get up to 6 inches or so with the 4" sniper in dry soil, about 7-8" with the standard 8", and a few inches more than that with the 10" or the DD.
Wet soil is even a little better.

and "2"...Depth isn't the be all and end all to this hobby.
I have found Indian Heads and silver Mercs at 1" depth and less, and as far as jewelry and other great targets just about every great thing I have ever found has been 5" or less in depth...mostly less.

Thanks for the great feedback. I know depth isn't the most important factor, but it's certainly one I've been encountering. I just feel like I'm missing so much. I did find a 1930ish penny a few weeks back at only about 2 inches. So I know stuff is there, but just doing some generic testing of depth in my own yard, I can tell that theres a good chance I'm missing some stuff more than 4" down. It's iffy from about 4-5 inches. anything below that may not show up at all if I'm not running in all metal. But from all I've read about the F-2 it's an excellent machine for the money.

My next bit of advice it to keep the Tracker. It still has a place.

I am in the same spot. I bought a tracker iv at hobby lobby and have done very well in only a month. I know I am missing deeper targets. My silver to wheat ratio is at 30-1. I also wonder if the thought about deeper signals and upgrading is always there or does that go away with a better detector. I have a fund with about $300 in it and plan to get an AT pro as soon as funds permit it.

My next bit of advice it to keep the Tracker. It still has a place.

Yep. I now have the Tracker IV and the BH Discovery 2200 I started with AND my new F2. I will be giving the 2200 to my brother in Tennessee when we take our vacation there this summer. He ain't gettin my other stuff!:D

Lets just say, I used my bh tracker 4 for about a month, then ungraded to the f2. Walked outside (I have a very very tiny section of grass that I covered many times with the bh) but within minutes I hit two pennies and a dime that I missed before with the bounty hunter.

i'm so happy I upgraded to the f2

and yes, since the BH tracker 4 has such a bad resale value, Im going to keep it, water proof it and use it as my machine that I take knee deep in the water, instead of my fisher f2, that way if I drop it, oh well

Thanks for the feedback guys. Waiting on tax return still but when that gets here I'll be going with an F-2. I will keep the BH as a back up. Can't wait to see what new things I find.

Back
Top Bottom