Never used one before, and need advice

mdl7294

Hello,

I must say some of your finds are pretty impressive! I live in Florida and am interested in a new hobby and thought of this. I would be using the detector in salt water only. Mainly, I anchor my boat off beaches, the kids swim, we bbq etc. I thought why not try this. I would mainly use it in waste deep water or less, and in the wet sand of the beaches.

I have been reading about the following detector and was hoping for some feedback (good and bad).

Whites Surfmaster PI Pro

1.) is this a decent detector for what I want to use it for? I do undertand it does not discriminate, and that is fine by me.
2.) in the rare occasion I want to use this in dry sand or on land, will that be ok, or is it useless there?
3.) how easy is it to use for a first timer?

Finally, if I go with this one, where is the best place to buy one. Can I just order it online, or should I try and find a store in my area?

Thanks for the feedback.

Welcome to the forum Mdl... you just picked my favorite detector ;)

A PI is a great choice for in the water as there is less trash there.. I use mine 100% of the time in the water, I have used VLF machines in the water but I feel I am losing depth and depth is very important up here in New England where our beach season is short and most good finds are deep..

I also use the PI on beaches I know have little trash in the wet sand, on those beaches I know have alot of iron in the wet sand I will use my Detector Pro Diver..

There are many other detectors but none are as deep as a PI...

Our two Sponsors here can sell you a detector either TonyCt or KellyCo which is in Florida.

If you decide on a different detector just don't let anyone try to sell you a chinese import detector they are in my view a waste of time and money..

I went back and forth in my research to determine whether I wanted the surf master pro or the seahunter mk ll. The seahunter won out because it does have some discrimination and it's a PI unit. Wednesday night I was out on a shallow beach area taking my time and digging sounds just above threshold. I found 40 cents but the depth of where I found it amazed me. two pennies were about 6 inches down, a dime was close to the surface, a quarter(clad) was actually 12 inches under the surface of the muck.three other pennies were between 6 and 9 inches deep. Now, if coins sink that far, imagine how far gold will go, specially rings.

Basically, I like this machine. I'll be out in the water all morning tomorrow and possibly sunday.

The White's is a good choice. Before buying, do as much research as possible, this is a great hobby, but it is addicting. Welcome to the forum.. RickO

mdl,
Please let me know if I can help you in any way. We too are in Florida. Where are you located? If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!
Kellyco Chick

Hey KellyCo

I am actually ordering it from your website. I am in Tampa, where are you guys located?

The only worry I had with it, is if it will work in dry sand. I will mainly use it in wet sand and in water probably waste deep tops. I may run it on dry sand if I am just killing some time while spending time with the family on outings with the boat.

It will be my first time using one so am hoping it is fairly easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom