Nox owners... beach settings?

Longshot

After finding that gold charm and the following day find a very nice silver St. Joseph pendant that I gave to my dad, my beginner's luck has run out.

I've MANY hours on the beach with just trash. I am constantly getting quick blips and beeps but then I cant find it again.. or I get a solid signal, dig the hole and now it's gone or just iron. Before the hole 17-20. After the hole -6.

Or a hole that goes on forever that just get embarrassing after a while.

I am walking the water line but I'm starting to think that maybe it's too cold to find water items. There just isn't many people swimming(water temp is about 56 degrees)

My settings: beach 2, auto tracking, recovery 6, sensitivity is usually around 17.

Is there an advanced setting I need to also consider?

Is there a setting configuration to only find gold on the beach?

Beach conditions dictate most of our hunts, not so much our machines settings... I had a hot streak a month ago, but it's recently slowed down, just have to keep going back til you start finding heavier items again.

As far as sensitivity, I run 17 in the water when I'm waist to neck deep in a surf zone, but if you're working the wet sand you should be able to bump that up to at least 20. I also think that the auto ground balancing is mostly for water only hunts. You can probably get better results manual ground balancing the wet sand.

Rusted bottle caps will read 15-20 in the sand, once it gets closer to the surface that can change to a negative number. Half the time I think I lost a target it's just a rusted bottle cap switching to an iron signal.

If there were a setting on my nox to only find gold, I'd be a rich man :D

I don't know where you are from, but are you working the low tides and water this time of year, or are you waiting until people start swimming?

Also, forgot to ask..

I often have targets that beep mainly good numbers with bad numbers mixed in... are they something you typically dig? It means it contains iron or other undesirable metals, right?

Beach 2. Reactivity 5. No tracking. FE 1. I can run sensitivity at 24 with no falsing but I run 22. Also if you're getting a 15-20 vdi and you thinks it's a bottlecap , you can push the all metal button and if you get a grunt it's going to be a rusted bottlecap 90% of the time. As for digging mixed signals, I did that the other day. Pull tab, rusted bottlecap and 2 quarters came out of the hole.

Can you explain why tracking isn't a good idea on the beach and also why you use fe1? I've tried to understand the fe settings better, but it's still pretty confusing to me.

I don't know where you are from, but are you working the low tides and water this time of year, or are you waiting until people start swimming?

Also, forgot to ask..

I often have targets that beep mainly good numbers with bad numbers mixed in... are they something you typically dig? It means it contains iron or other undesirable metals, right?

Everyone's already swimming where I live (South FL), so I'm mostly hunting the water...

I keep discrimination on and dig everything that beeps. If I get a signal that's iffy I'll switch to all metal and dig it. I've heard small gold chains hit at 1-2 so I dig basically everything from 1 up. The only time I'm selective with targets is when there's a target every foot or so, then I ignore penny signals, and dig everything else.

Everyone's already swimming where I live (South FL), so I'm mostly hunting the water...

I keep discrimination on and dig everything that beeps. If I get a signal that's iffy I'll switch to all metal and dig it. I've heard small gold chains hit at 1-2 so I dig basically everything from 1 up. The only time I'm selective with targets is when there's a target every foot or so, then I ignore penny signals, and dig everything else.

Just so I'm clear.. if it beeps 1 or higher even with a bunch of minus numbers mixed in, you're digging it?

I've been avoiding anything that has minus numbers (even mixed with high). Theres just so much if it

RS...4, 5 to me clips targets and you loose a bit of depth. That target sounds like those tiny...and I mean tiny pieces of aluminum punch out off of chairs. Sounds like a response fro black sand and salt once the target is gone. Sensitivity does sound a little low for wet sand.

RS...4, 5 to me clips targets and you loose a bit of depth. That target sounds like those tiny...and I mean tiny pieces of aluminum punch out off of chairs. Sounds like a response fro black sand and salt once the target is gone. Sensitivity does sound a little low for wet sand.

What recovery speed do you prefer?

That depends on your noise tolerance lol. I like 4.... smoother and the target has good response. 3 you tend to hear more black sand which give you a strange response to minerals if you loose coil control. I like iron bias at 2 cuts a little of the iron sound without hiding near targets

Can you explain why tracking isn't a good idea on the beach and also why you use fe1? I've tried to understand the fe settings better, but it's still pretty confusing to me.

FE 1 eliminates the nails on the beaches I hunt. I have dug a 10k necklace and a 14k earring that both rang up as 1. So you don't have to worry about finding jewelry that comes up 1-10 by using FE 1. You will still find those pieces. I also found an earring that was silver with 10k overlay and it rang up 3,4,5 every time I passed the coil over it.

I don't use tracking in wet sand or water. It's one less thing for the machine to think about. No falsing either.

Reactivity speed at 5 is perfect. I dug a dime at 14.5" in wet sand. You will have plenty of depth. If you lay a target on top of the ground and check all the reactivity speeds on the Nox you will see the lower you go the slower you have to sweep. If you're detecting for fresh drops you can use 6 . You will get plenty enough depth.

Dig those low numbers. If not you may be passing up some good finds. Dig anything 1 and up and remember big gold rings will ring up as a penny so dig those numbers as well. If you get a vdi of say 38 or 39 and it sounds like a lonnnnng silver, it's a long piece of iron. I've dug silver rings at 21 and 22 as well.

Just so I'm clear.. if it beeps 1 or higher even with a bunch of minus numbers mixed in, you're digging it?

I've been avoiding anything that has minus numbers (even mixed with high). Theres just so much if it

Dig some and see what you pull out. You might be surprised.

i use the auto tracking all the time it helps in rough water and if you dont want to manually ground balance

As you can see...... eveyone has an opinion on how to run this machine. Kind of like wheres the best place to find gold.... wet sand, waist deep, or chest deep. The setting arent really complicated.... BUT conditions can be. If you are using it in Fl ..... ask the Fl hunters.

As you can see...... eveyone has an opinion on how to run this machine. Kind of like wheres the best place to find gold.... wet sand, waist deep, or chest deep. The setting arent really complicated.... BUT conditions can be. If you are using it in Fl ..... ask the Fl hunters.

True. So now where is the best place to find gold? :P =)

We find good stuff on heavily pounded tracks on the beach. Literally, multiple guys going over the same area with Excaliburs, NOX, AT's, CTX 3030's and the such every day, all week.

Dig, dig, dig. That's the answer.

I think a lot of people just want that super strong, clear tone that indicates a great find. They don't want to dig much since that part is work. But they miss a lot because of that. Also, we all hate digging bottle caps and other junk. BUT ...there's good stuff that ID's the same. There's also good stuff masked by junk.

Some might not know how to use these high dollar machines, or rely too much on the ID # or bad info from the web. Just because someone has an expensive detector doesn't mean anything.

Settings?

On shore,

Beach 1. Sensitivity 18-20 depending. Auto-Ground Balance Tracking. Recovery speed 6.

Truth is, the factory setting on Beach modes can score you just about anything on the beach. Tweaking these settings only really helps minimize noise or errant signals. It doesn't increase performance in my experience.

That's not a bad thing, that's a great thing. Minelab has built a killer beach machine that you the end user can spend more time searching and digging, than fiddling with settings.

When I got the Nox 800, I thought I'd be doing a lot of fiddling with the settings. Nope. No need. This thing is almost a set it and forget it machine.

The majority of the advanced settings and adjustments come into play in the other modes in my opinion....

We find good stuff on heavily pounded tracks on the beach. Literally, multiple guys going over the same area with Excaliburs, NOX, AT's, CTX 3030's and the such every day, all week.

Dig, dig, dig. That's the answer.

I think a lot of people just want that super strong, clear tone that indicates a great find. They don't want to dig much since that part is work. But they miss a lot because of that. Also, we all hate digging bottle caps and other junk. BUT ...there's good stuff that ID's the same. There's also good stuff masked by junk.

Some might not know how to use these high dollar machines, or rely too much on the ID # or bad info from the web. Just because someone has an expensive detector doesn't mean anything.

Settings?

On shore,

Beach 1. Sensitivity 18-20 depending. Auto-Ground Balance Tracking. Recovery speed 6.

Truth is, the factory setting on Beach modes can score you just about anything on the beach. Tweaking these settings only really helps minimize noise or errant signals. It doesn't increase performance in my experience.

That's not a bad thing, that's a great thing. Minelab has built a killer beach machine that you the end user can spend more time searching and digging, than fiddling with settings.

When I got the Nox 800, I thought I'd be doing a lot of fiddling with the settings. Nope. No need. This thing is almost a set it and forget it machine.

The majority of the advanced settings and adjustments come into play in the other modes in my opinion....

I gotta agree with ALL CLAD: most of the time (90%) I simply use factory settings for beach and water hunting. Beach 1 for wet/dry sand and Beach 2 for in da water. Only time i play with the settings is when I got a lot of trash, iron or the like and it gets too chattery. Same deal too... gotta know the machine and what its telling you. I've found rings on pounded beaches hunting in the footsteps of other MD'ers. Its not a race so going slow and listening to what you're being told are the best settings in my book.

Back
Top Bottom