I Don't Know What The Heck It Is

beephead

Elite Member
It's been a little too hot for me to do any serious detecting. Yesterday I only found a single Rosie dime, but did I get to see 7 police cars converge on a place across the street from where I was detecting. I watched the news that night to see what it was about. They didn't cover that story, but they covered another one where a guy got shot at an intersection. The news reporter was standing right where I parked my car earlier this year to do some curb strips nearby. I'm glad that I don't live in Memphis, I just metal detect there.

Today, I didn't do so hot even though I got to detect a 1920's home. This is the second time recently that I've hit a old house didn't find any silver coins. At the time when I found it I didn't realize that it was sterling silver, so I just threw it into my finds pouch. When I got home, I took a closer look with a magnify glass. I don't know what is. Whatever the ferrous piece in the middle was has rusted away. Maybe a pipe cleaner???

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_2292.jpg
    IMG_2292.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_2296.jpg
    IMG_2296.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 554
Sterling Silver

reminds me of a tool I once had... Short set of HEX wrenches...wrenches would have corroded away.

Happy Hunting,

GGG

Whatever it is it pays to dig targets even when their ID numbers that are not in the silver range. This target rang up just below a zinc penny even though it's stamped sterling silver. The remaining ferrous part of the target was pulling down the ID numbers, just like nails sometimes do to silver coins. I always find more interesting finds when I'm swinging one of my Tesoro detectors. A lot of times I just ignore the ID numbers if I'm at an older site.

beephead

Being the case is sterling it wouldn't be feeler gauges or anything tool like.

A pipe cleaning set may be the better guess.
This would be carried even when wearing 'Sunday' cloths so sterling.

Pipe cleaner comes to mind...I remember watching my G'paw diddling around with a special folding tool for to clean out his pipe...always wondered WTH?...any old twig would do, but I guess that was part of the process and enjoyment of smoking a pipe?..special tools for a certain purpose...

It was a big deal to clean and properly pack a pipe back then, great big production and experience to enjoy a good smoke..not a whole lot else to do I guess...

I googled 'Sterling "Pipe Cleaner"' and didn't see anything that looked like it. It may be something else, clearly it was some kind of sterling cover for a pocket tool that hung from a keychain or other chain. Good luck identifying it, and either way, nice find!

Congrats on the Rosie and the Sterling Beep. My dad carried a item like that years ago. Kept his folding money in it. Said he got it as a gift for standing up in one of his brothers weddings. He and all five of his brothers were married in the 1940's. Trapper

Don't know what it is either (not old enough).:lol: I see you are still "cleaning up" based on your trash and goodies. Glad to see, even in hot weather, the silver is still not eluding you. Whatever that thing was, it wasn't junk based on the sterling silver. Hope someone can identify it for you.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom