About to start beach/water hunting. My scoop enough?

Birddog1911

Eagerly awaiting my Tiger Shark from SD, and planning ahead.

Now, I've been hunting some sandy areas around me, and I've been using just a one handed scoop. It's worked for me so far, I reckon. But, I'm planning many more beach hunts, as well as water hunts with my new machine. I'm just wondering if my little one handed scoop is good enough, or should I be looking at something else.

I have been toying with the idea of making a PVC scoop of some sort, that I could use my TRX pinpointer with, when I'm at 10ft or less.

Minimum

RTG 6x11 with SS tip, otherwise your wasting your time , and money . The RTG 7x10 the 3rd one from the left is sold, if your going to water hunt, that's the minimum bottom line available , Earl

Attachments

• P1000473.JPG
    P1000473.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
For me when water hunting the larger the scoop the better. It is difficult to accurately pin point a target when you can not see the coil. A small scoop is fine on the dry sand and barely okay on the wet sand There are times on the wet sand that my 9 1/2 inch scoop is too small to get to the target due to the hole filling back faster than i can dig.

iT

iS worth the investment, do it wright the 1st time, because if you go cheap the 1st, than when it breaks, :shock: :gettinmoney: you Will be spending much more, down the road happy hunting, Earl

A hand scoop will not cut it except in the dry sand. A pvc scoop cannot handle the stresses we put on them in the wet sand and in the water. Like Earl (SM) said get a good quality scoop.

Well, ya gotta ask yourself "How many times do I want to buy a scoop?"

You can spend around $200 + or - a few dollars and buy a scoop once, or you can be smart like I was and spend $100 on a cheap scoop, break it almost immediately and then spend around $200 + or - a few dollars on a real scoop.

You're welcome! I'm here to help!! . :clapping:

So, until I can save up for a good scoop, will a standard shovel suffice for wet sand, or is there a better tool for the job?

I will be hunting freshwater beaches, and in the water itself.

Welcome to the world of water ;) I recommend going straight for a Stealth Scoop. I think most of us have been through the trial and error with cheap scoops and can tell you it's not worth the headache :)

I think I started with a metal ice scoop, then went to a boxy plastic scoop, then bought some 8" diameter PVC and made a custom scoop with a nice lip and handle, then graduated to an aluminum 6" long handle scoop, then finally realized the Stealth is where its truly at. Good luck on the beach.

So, until I can save up for a good scoop, will a standard shovel suffice for wet sand, or is there a better tool for the job?

In moist sand, the shovel will work great. When you find a target, make a couple of scoops and then check the hole. Repeat until you know you scooped the target. Then spread the spoils piles with your foot and pinpoint the target.

What you'll find frustrating is when you scoop deep enough to hit the water table. Because a shovel can't drain water, targets often roll to the side and back in the hole without you knowing. 5-minutes later you have dug half way to china and are cursing...all the while still trying to retrieve the target. :lol:

This ^^^ scenario also applies to hunting in the water UNLESS you have a snorkel. In that case, you can get right on top of the target and fan the sand with your hands, or use a small shovel to spread the sand left/right and find the target.

I would snorkel in water up to 3' deep and dive if deeper . Forget the scoop unless you are on dry land. Just fan your hand above the target, for your target. DO NOT DIG with your hand. Those shotgun headstamps are sharp along with glass, can slaw and any other piece of sharp metal.

I scoop only in the spring and fall when the water gets too cold for me. I wade with a wet suit and then waders.

If you are in muck and have to dig, do it very carefully and not rushed.

The first two gold rings you find will get you a nice scoop. Then you will be ready for fall hunting.

I would snorkel in water up to 3' deep and dive if deeper . Forget the scoop unless you are on dry land. Just fan your hand above the target, for your target. DO NOT DIG with your hand. Those shotgun headstamps are sharp along with glass, can slaw and any other piece of sharp metal.

I scoop only in the spring and fall when the water gets too cold for me. I wade with a wet suit and then waders.

If you are in muck and have to dig, do it very carefully and not rushed.

The first two gold rings you find will get you a nice scoop. Then you will be ready for fall hunting.

Thanks again for the info, SD. I do, always, wear 5mil gloves, so I'll always have some protection. The dive training site is mostly silt, so I may have to do a bit of digging in that; time will tell. I'll test it out with my one handed scoop in the silt in a couple of weeks.

Yep!

I am much faster with a lightweight spade shovel in heavy sand than one of those little aluminum scoops.
The key to scoring good in wet or dry sand is banging out as many targets per hour as humanly possible. That's it, no rocket surgery involved.

Thanks again for the info, SD. I do, always, wear 5mil gloves, so I'll always have some protection. The dive training site is mostly silt, so I may have to do a bit of digging in that; time will tell. I'll test it out with my one handed scoop in the silt in a couple of weeks.

If you are in silt and dig a target, YOU will have a BLAST if you ever drop it!

Google XS SCUBA P/N BG570 and get a couple. Scoop up muck carefully and wave it in front of the coil. When the target is in your hand put the handful of muck in the bag. Hold the top shut and swish it in the water then take out your target.

I have one of these bags on a retractable lanyard on my BC. Works great.

I hate wearing gloves. I haven't been cut in years, knock on wood.

Yea, I already have one of those bags, for when I'm doing general water cleanup. I use it as a teaching tool to my students to be good stewards of our waters.

Took me a long time to learn the lesson of: Buy it once

Don't always think that because it's expensive it's just over priced. Don't also look for the BEST deal ever because if its to good to be true..... it is.....

With that said, when I first got into this hobby/sport/lifestyle/addiction, I went with a T-Rex scoop. Big, HEAVY... must be great.. IT SUCKED!!!

At the end of it all, I went with a Stealth 920ix and a carbon fiber scoop. Expensive? Yes..

Worth it? HECK YES!!!!!!!

I went through a good 4 or 5 wood handles and 2 T-rex scoops. then I got the Stealth with the CF and it's been 4 yrs of heavy hunting. The stealth is starting to get goofed up but they warranty it ONCE and it is WAY worth the purchase. There are other scoops on the market for less. But you want reliability and you want quality.
Nothing worse than being on a GREAT hunt and having your scoop do this...In the wet sand no less! Then have the company call you a liar and not deal with your warranty.

Attachments

• 20150707_094619.jpg
    20150707_094619.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 397
Was the edge even welded?

I just drew out some plans and going to make myself a scoop with free stuff I find LOL.
My target price is everything has to be FREE from the dump or just find it laying around.
$200.00 for a scoop is just crazy to me.

Don't always think that because it's expensive it's just over priced. Don't also look for the BEST deal ever because if its to good to be true..... it is.....

With that said, when I first got into this hobby/sport/lifestyle/addiction, I went with a T-Rex scoop. Big, HEAVY... must be great.. IT SUCKED!!!

At the end of it all, I went with a Stealth 920ix and a carbon fiber scoop. Expensive? Yes..

I went through a good 4 or 5 wood handles and 2 T-rex scoops. then I got the Stealth with the CF and it's been 4 yrs of heavy hunting. The stealth is starting to get goofed up but they warranty it ONCE and it is WAY worth the purchase. There are other scoops on the market for less. But you want reliability and you want quality.
Nothing worse than being on a GREAT hunt and having your scoop do this...In the wet sand no less! Then have the company call you a liar and not deal with your warranty.

I have been using the T-Rex for 5 years with no problem. Ron added some strengthening to his scoops some years ago. Yes i lean on it hard to get those loads of sand dug.

Back
Top Bottom