Upgrading from a bounty hunter land Ranger Pro

Emaechow

I've been detecting for about 2 years now and have been using my land Ranger for about a year. While I love the land Ranger Pro I think I'm ready to upgrade . What would you experts consider The Next Step Up? I detect for a coins and Relics in Ohio mostly around Old Farm sites. I am not wed to any company or type of metal detector. I just want something that maybe goes a bit deeper and has a fast recovery time Thank you in advance for your help

I went from a Landstar to a Whites M6 a little over 7 years ago and have been very happy with it. Fast recovery, deep, has nuances in the 7 tones that once learned, give me excellent info on target. Has salt sand for my beach hunting as well as the ability to lock the ground balance which I always do in my Florida sand. A little heavy with the stock 9.5 coil. It's a knobber (no menus or pushbuttons), but gives you high-end power at an affordable price. Unfortunately it's been discontinued for newer models, but some new ones are still available.

Here's something to maybe consider. I was getting air test of 8" on dime with LR Pro with stock 11" DD coil. I recently got a BH Platinum w/stock 8" concentric coil that air tested 9" on a dime. Then I swapped coils. Now LR Pro w/8" concentric coil gets 10" air test on dime. The BH Platinum now gets 11" air test on dime w/11" DD coil.

I don't know why I got these results & can't guarantee same results for others. Maybe I should bother a factory tech as to why, or just wait to see if anyone online has the answer. Best wishes, George (MN)

Here's something to maybe consider. I was getting air test of 8" on dime with LR Pro with stock 11" DD coil. I recently got a BH Platinum w/stock 8" concentric coil that air tested 9" on a dime. Then I swapped coils. Now LR Pro w/8" concentric coil gets 10" air test on dime. The BH Platinum now gets 11" air test on dime w/11" DD coil.

I don't know why I got these results & can't guarantee same results for others. Maybe I should bother a factory tech as to why, or just wait to see if anyone online has the answer. Best wishes, George (MN)

That does sound kinda odd. Air tests can be weird though.

I have the BH Plat Pro (11 inch DD) and it's been good to me. Wish I would have just bought the regular Plat and purchased the bigger coil too, so I could have 2 coils.

OP, I upgraded to an AT Pro. Was logical progression for me since it sprinkles here sometimes and ruins my hunting, and opens up more territory to hunt (fresh water).

My apology on the misleading air tests. When I took the Platinum & LR Pro out with the swapped coils, the detectors worked poorly with wide-ranging IDs & noise. At the moment I can't find my LR Pro manual & didn't get one with the Platinum. The LR Pro with the stock 11" DD accurately IDs my 5" deep planted dime without even attempting ground balance, in my moderately mineralized soil.

My apology on the misleading air tests. When I took the Platinum & LR Pro out with the swapped coils, the detectors worked poorly with wide-ranging IDs & noise. At the moment I can't find my LR Pro manual & didn't get one with the Platinum. The LR Pro with the stock 11" DD accurately IDs my 5" deep planted dime without even attempting ground balance, in my moderately mineralized soil.

No apology needed, air tests can just be weird in general as they are not as accurate as trying garden tests. With the larger coil you should probably be able to hit dimes at about 8 inches, I've hit quarters from 10-11 inches before in the dirt but it does depend on your soil and proper GB which is weird on the BH Plat, even the instructions are wrong on how to GB it properly so they are no help anyways. For some reason the BH Plat GB's differently than the other First Texas detectors, yet they give you the GB instructions for those other detectors. :dash2: I don't why they do this, it's an obvious misprint or something on their part. Or maybe my coil was truly out of whack from the factory?

I think the instructions are posted online if you want me to find them?

Here's the LR Pro: https://www.detecting.com/manuals/10-31/MPROLR_10.28.14-Reader.pdf

Here's the BH Plat: https://www.detecting.com/manuals/MPLT14 (Platinum) REV 4 04.08.14 - Reader.pdf

I could never get mine to GB properly the way they said and contacted First Texas and they said my coil probably needed to be recalibrated. :roll: It still has over 4 years of warranty left and I've been lazy and haven't sent it in...still never stopped me from finding a ton of stuff with it.

Back
Top Bottom