AT PRO 5x8 Coil?

rubin31

I've been using an Ace 350 for about a year and have the itch to upgrade. I'm going with the AT Pro but don't know if I should get the 5x8 coil with it to start. I've been wanting to get a sniper coil for the 350. The parks I hunt are filled with canslaw and the large DD coil on the 350 is killing me.
Is there that much difference between the 8.5x11 and the 5x8? Or should I skip the 5x8 and get a sniper coil for the AT Pro?

Thanks for the help

Most of my hunting buddies have At-Pros and all use the 5x8 coil. Made a believer out of me as that coil is a killer in the trash. Deep too.

Yes, I am said buddy. I use the 5x8 probably 90 percent of the time. I only use the larger coil for field hunts. This coil is awesome. Still pulls silver dimes easily at 9 or 10" in KS soil. In my opinion, order the ATPRO with the 5x8 and never look back....

Had the same questions, I'm going with the 5x8 dd, just concerned I would both loose too much depth and move too slow.

I'll let you know how it goes. I will be hunting some of the same trash infested area that I have hit hard with the 350 and ATPro. Ground is still a little too frozen.

Picking my 5x8 up tomorrow. "I'm so excited", I feel like one of the Pointer Sisters.

I own an ATP and use the 5x8 for all but field hunting . As for the ATP in general in my opionion it is a so so machine .

Thanks. Will do. What are your thoughts on the sniper coil? Do you give up too much depth?
I'm off to pm Phil with my order.
Thanks again.

I have only used my AT Pro at a couple parks & a couple schools. So far no can slaw, as I set the disc to reject it. Use the stock coil, got very tilted quarter & clad dime down 7" that IDed correctly on every pass. Got only a few junk items, almost all were round and coin-sized. Got a shallow nickel 52-53, after digging turned on iron audio & found out nickel was surrounded by 5 pieces of iron!

If I was detecting an 1800s park that had been detected 75,000 times, I might need a different technique, different coil, or even a different detector, so I can't guarantee 1 thing is better in every situation. Unlike others, I use STD mode, which means dimes to 10" (air test) sound about like surface coins. Best wishes, George (MN)

I have a 5x8 and have hit copper pennies at 9in (i measured it) with it, it really separates, theres an area in my yard that i went over with the stock coil and i could hear a high tone in there every now and then but never dug it and when i got the 5x8 i went over that area and was able to get the high tone on every pass, dug it and it was a quarter surrounded buy a bunch of trash i could'nt believe it and it was like 7in down, so i would def get it.

Yes it's worth it. The AT Pro with the smaller DD coil is a fantastic combination in trashy areas for those who actually take the time to learn it. :grin:

Thanks for all of the replies. Just ordered it from Phil today. Can't wait till I get it. Also ordered the water proof headphones. Looking forward to hit some water.

I recently bought the 5x8. Although you lose about 1 inch in depth, the target separation will allow you to dig a target that you would have previously passed over because you thought it was garbage.

Chances are I wont go back to the stock coil.

Hey there. Get the 5X8 AND the Sniper. Sure you lose some depth with the Sniper but you can get into places larger coils wont fit, closer to metal fences, better separation in super trashy areas and the ability to detect smaller/finer targets like thin bracelets. I have all three Garrett DD coils. I hardly ever use the large DD. I use the 5X8 about 90% of the time and the Sniper about 10% of the time. Just my opinion. GL and HH. Matt

I know about the 5x8, and the 8.5x11 DD coils for the AT series detectors. What is the third DD coil you are referring to? If I'm not mistaken, the 4.5 Sniper coil is a concentric design.

I know about the 5x8, and the 8.5x11 DD coils for the AT series detectors. What is the third DD coil you are referring to? If I'm not mistaken, the 4.5 Sniper coil is a concentric design.

NEL makes aftermarket coils for the AT series detectors now. Big ones that go really deep.

I have a 15 inch DD I can't wait to try when the ice finally melts.

Back
Top Bottom