F70 or X terra 705

dumbdigger

Elite Member
First off I would like to thank everyone that influenced me on my first metal detector purchase the mighty F2.
I want everyone to know I am 100% committed to this hobby. Without a doubt I am really into it. So throwing down the $ on a mid level machine is fine.

So what I am thinking is getting a mid level machine or purchasing a 2nd F2, with a Garrett PP. See either way I want another machine so my better half can detect beside me.

OK now, what I enjoy hunting for is silver coins, gold/silver rings ect......
I guess somewhat a downfall is the places I get to hunt. Which is the hunted out parks and local schools. Ocassionally some private properties.

I am in the middle of my research on the two machines and really like them both. Just cant make up my mind. I think I would still be happy with the second F2 and getting the F70 or 705 next year. Thanks for the help.

If you like the F2...then another Fisher or Teknetics detector is the way to go. They work well in the old parks and yards of the older schools finding silvers, and gold...I don't mind hunting those kind of spots at all...consider used machines to get more for your $...

All three excellent detectors!

The Minelab 705 we have on our site might interest you as you were looking for a pro pointer. http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-x-terra-705-metal-detector
Its a very versatile machine as it can change frequency with a coil change.

The Fisher F70 is a very good relic detector but can be noisy if hunting in town because it does push so hard.

Holler if you have questions. Be glad to answer questions on either for you. Bart

If you like the F2...then another Fisher or Teknetics detector is the way to go. They work well in the old parks and yards of the older schools finding silvers, and gold...I don't mind hunting those kind of spots at all...consider used machines to get more for your $...
Yea I just saw one recently go for $425. That was a good deal I thought. Perhaps I should have jumped on it?

Jwp I update myself with DIGGER27 posts on a daily basis. lol

First off I would like to thank everyone that influenced me on my first metal detector purchase the mighty F2.
I want everyone to know I am 100% committed to this hobby. Without a doubt I am really into it. So throwing down the $ on a mid level machine is fine.

So what I am thinking is getting a mid level machine or purchasing a 2nd F2, with a Garrett PP. See either way I want another machine so my better half can detect beside me.

OK now, what I enjoy hunting for is silver coins, gold/silver rings ect......
I guess somewhat a downfall is the places I get to hunt. Which is the hunted out parks and local schools. Ocassionally some private properties.

I am in the middle of my research on the two machines and really like them both. Just cant make up my mind. I think I would still be happy with the second F2 and getting the F70 or 705 next year. Thanks for the help.

The 705 can be deeper and more stable than the detectors you are looking at. the 705 has many coil options the others mentioned do not have. The 705 has GB offset and beach hunt the others do not offer. Vflex was good enough for minelab to carry it over to the 3030. The 705 is very light and back lit also. I think that the 705 is the detector that stands out given the detectors you mentioned.

the Ground Balance Tracking is another great feature of the 705 as the soil composition can change in just a few feet and it changes as the soil does

I would say the 705 it is a great detector and is super stable in areas where other machines wouldn't be

Responce time

Minelab slower, nothing like a F70, just be aware that your hunting technics will be slower, I like both styles of hunting, lightning fast response from the F75se, and freedom to swing fast and I like slowing down the tempo with the Etrac, I would try to swing money for a T2se, 5 year warranty, happy hunting Earl

There is no comparison, sort of like asking if you should get the Mercedes or the Hyundai. Get the Xterra 705, it far better than any Fisher F70, or F75 for that matter.

I'd get a f70 or an f75 if you can find a good deal or a used one. Super fast and deep as well as light and a great display with tons of information on target and ground conditions.

There is no comparison, sort of like asking if you should get the Mercedes or the Hyundai. Get the Xterra 705, it far better than any Fisher F70, or F75 for that matter.

Yeeeaah, it's absolutely not a stretch like that! They're both upper, mid-range units that can do the job. So close that it's going to be opinion based more than anything.

I think you would be able to grow a lot more with the 705 as it has many more features and can be used at different frequencies with different coils. I have heard great things about the f70, too but if I were to choose it would be the xterra mostly cuz it has so many options

The F70 is no doubt a good detector. But the 705 is a much more versatile machine. You can do so much more with it due to it's ability to change frequency by changing coils. Has a lot of other advanced features as well.........but easy to learn. Very stable machine also...............

Still on the fence

Well fella's still on the fence. I keep going back and forth.
The three things I want most in a MD is Depth, Precision on IDing and Stability.
I like the idea of the 705 having a coin hunting preset. Minelab made a preferred coinshooting setting. This probably works great and can also be tweaked as well. It also seems like a very stable machine. The 3khz 9" coil is also a coin killer and I think would make it even more precise at IDing coin targets than the 7.5 khz coil.

On the other hand I like the fisher F70. Fisher is what I started with and mastered the F2 rather quickly. Not much to learn really. This machine I would have to learn various setting in stages. And have to keep going over the same hunting spots until I feel confident that I get the most depth.
If I have this machine and its constantly Grunting, beeping, chirping and farting it would drive me crazy. An example of this can be heard here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBKLRkP2q4M
Ive seen it in other videos too. Not just this one.
He is running it on the hot side. As for his location, he's in the woods and not even running wide open. Being this constant chirping hunting in the woods would be annoying as hell. How would it be in a park in town?
Even while hes digging his target its over there farting everywhere. Sheez! Maybe hes got something wrong with his coil?

One thing I always think about is someone going over a location with a Mid-higher end MD and finding nothing, then same person hitting it with the 705 and pulling multiple silvers. Now I didnt see this in person but, I believe it to be true. This has me sold on this machine. I havent pulled the plug on this machine, I mean trigger on this machine yet cuz I want to make the right MD choice. I feel the F70 can be as good but, it would take months for me to get there. Where as I think I can be confident with the stock Minelab coin setting and not miss much out of the box. Especially with the lower frequency coil. IDK

Not trying to beat a dead horse like someone else on this forum, I just want to make the right decision for me. All suggestions are a great help. THANKS DD

I started out just like u. Mastered that f2 in no time and found silvers and gold with it. then I rushed to get the f4. Then I rushed to get the F75se. That's where things halted for me. The finds stopped coming in and the fun stopped. I know ur just getting the f70 but still that's a way different machine than the f2. F2 was made easy to find the good stuff. F70 705 and f75 is not easy fun maqchines me. Still love my f75 se after 1 year but its not the funnest machine. Its tones and everything is just not easy r fun. Want a good fun mid grade machine that u can have fun with and easy like the f2? AT PRO is where its at. One day ur gonna need one anyways for that old swimming hole u found are creek or old watering hole that's littered with silver coins and gold diamond rings. So trust me want middle end machine? get the At Pro and have fun while u can. Mostly all the experienced hunters end up with a At Pro as r water machine well the smart ones anyways. But if u decide on the f70 r 705 im sure after 100s of hrs and 1 year later the fun may start for u maybe not... get the At Pro and fun starts as soon as u get to the site and it goes plenty deep and its by far the easiest machine I ever used using 0 desc. And when u use 0 disc my friend that's when u start pulling silvers that that all the others left behind. like my f75 se awesome machine. deepest machine I ever used but try using 0 desc and ur ears will bleed.

If you hunt slow and like calm and quiet the 705 is the way to go. If you don't mind a little noise and hunt fast the F70 is the way to go. It will be a little deeper for sure with slow process(still faster than minelab). I swing way too fast for the 705 but the tones seem way more pleasant to listen to. The F70 has similar tones to T2/F75 and are very "chirpy".

I started out just like u. Mastered that f2 in no time and found silvers and gold with it. then I rushed to get the f4. Then I rushed to get the F75se. That's where things halted for me. The finds stopped coming in and the fun stopped because i'm dumb as a bag of rocks. I know ur just getting the f70 but still that's a way different machine than the f2. F2 was made easy to find the good stuff. F70 705 and f75 is not easy fun maqchines me. Still love my f75 se after 1 year but its not the funnest machine. Its tones and everything is just not easy r fun. Want a good fun mid grade machine that u can have fun with and easy like the f2? AT PRO is where its at. One day ur gonna need one anyways for that old swimming hole u found are creek or old watering hole that's littered with silver coins and gold diamond rings. So trust me want middle end machine? get the At Pro and have fun while u can. Mostly all the experienced hunters end up with a At Pro as r water machine well the smart ones anyways. But if u decide on the f70 r 705 im sure after 100s of hrs and 1 year later the fun may start for u maybe not... get the At Pro and fun starts as soon as u get to the site and it goes plenty deep and its by far the easiest machine I ever used using 0 desc. And when u use 0 disc my friend that's when u start pulling silvers that that all the others left behind. like my f75 se awesome machine. deepest machine I ever used but try using 0 desc and ur ears will bleed.
Good advice from a seasoned hunter...not:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom