Pinpointing: The lost art?

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
I hear a lot about problems pinpointing and people using these pinpointers and think pinpointing is becoming a lost art. I've never used a pinpointer myself, frankly I've never seen the need, but I suppose the new elliptical coils and machines known to be not pinpoint-friendly it could be a blessing.

Remember the days when you held your coil over the target, detuned, and then moved off to the side to pinpoint? Eh, probably not.

Anyway, I guess my question is are we seeing the end of the art of pinpointing?

Not for this guy. I always use both. One to get me there, an' the other to get me THERE! ;)

I don't think so. I use both. The hand held pinpointer just makes it easier to find and not damage your finds.

Lost art, maybe. But I have always had pretty good luck pinpointing with my detector. The BE-II just makes it easier in moist sand.

My Hawkeye is very good on pinpoint, this weekend I shall find out how good the 250 is.

I have a Merlin pinpointer, and have only needed to use it a couple of times in five years.

I can't knock it, I've never tried one, but I just don't see the need. I pinpoint with the detector, dig where it tells me, and recover the target.

My problem on a couple of holes lately is that I think I've pinpointed well, the target is suppose to be 4-6 inches deep and I've got an 8 inch diameter hole dug down 8 inches. I still haven't found anything and when I pinpoint it says I'm right on it. Luckily I've just ordered an inline pinpointer for my cz and one is also coming on my new EXP II. It will make it much easier to go back and find what was in these holes that I gave up on temporarily. I look forward to using them.

Back
Top Bottom