• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1/8" to 1/4" adapter. Are they all the same?

VaBill

Forum Supporter
Bought a pair of TDK 700 wireless headphones a while back and didn't care for them. I think I'm just used to 7+ years of the tones of my killer bees.

But one thing I did do was end up with a super cheap adapter. Could a better adapter make them sound better?

Signal is lost depending on what metal it is traveling through. You could try some gold plated ones, about the best you could reasonably get price-wise for performance and you will have less signal loss. Should still be pretty cheap. If that doesn't work, your only option left is fully gold but that's just not worth the cost, outragously expensive.

The gold plating is actually just a thin layer with nickel underneath, like normal audio plugs. If you can find silver or copper, those are supposedly the best but not really marketed widely because corrosion.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, Gold is a rather poor conductor.. not sure why I would need to say that in a metal detecting forum.. you all know that.. or should The only reason they use good plating on audio connectors is to prevent corrosion and yes to charge more..
Would a better connector make head phone sound better, my money is on No.

Just an FYI, Gold is a rather poor conductor.. not sure why I would need to say that in a metal detecting forum.. you all know that.. or should The only reason they use good plating on audio connectors is to prevent corrosion and yes to charge more..
Would a better connector make head phone sound better, my money is on No.

Much of the reason they used gold is not the conductivity but the connectivity. The gold, other than appealing to look at = $$, is also the most malleable metal enabling it to make the most contact and fit snug.

I also have a cheaper 3.5mm to 1/4th that is a pain in the butt. If it barely gets knocked, the connection shorts and it's useless. It's just how the cheap connector houses into the larger one, it's annoying. My problem is the clipping though due to faulty connection, that might not be the OP's issue...and if not and he just a low signal, then really no connector will probably help make it any better.

What exactly is the issue, VaBill? Sound better is a little general, do you need them louder, don't like the tones because they sound different, are the signals not clear and are choppy or broken?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom