nervously excited.

Usa

Elite Member
Today is the day that I go to a certain mans house to ask about detecting a 1888 mill in our small town(1176 people).Are there any pointers that I should follow?

Firm handshake and look him in the eye. Talk for a bit before you ask. If he's old ask him how long he's lived in the area, if he answers a long time, you say "Wow I bet you have seen a lot of change" If he's new to the area you ask what brought him here. People buy stuff from people they like and you have about a minute to get him to like you. If you can do that you won't have any trouble getting permissions or selling magazines. Play up the interest in history.

Today is the day that I go to a certain mans house to ask about detecting a 1888 mill in our small town(1176 people).Are there any pointers that I should follow?

Firm handshake and look him in the eye. Talk for a bit before you ask. If he's old ask him how long he's lived in the area, if he answers a long time, you say "Wow I bet you have seen a lot of change" If he's new to the area you ask what brought him here. People buy stuff from people they like and you have about a minute to get him to like you. If you can do that you won't have any trouble getting permissions or selling magazines. Play up the interest in history.

Shooter has some great advice.

Just be polite and keep your fingers crossed, sounds like a winner!

You probably went there by now, hope it went well !

Good advice already mentioned, for even more tips there are older threads like this one focusing on tips for asking permission -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=256382&highlight=permission

A very general rule of thumb is to put yourself in the homeowners position and ask yourself what would convince you to give permission to a stranger, and what would make you hesitant to give permission.

Back
Top Bottom