• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Going from Open Carry to Concealed

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
I have been hunting a bit in Detroit and have been a tat uncomfortable with all the crime in the big city. For those that are not aware, traffic signs and lights are a SUGGESTION in that city and it is a crazy place. I hunted there before but have always carried my pistol where all could see it.

Today I took the class and in a month I will have my concealed permit. I thought it was strange I had to take the class but I am glad I did. The laws between Utah and Michigan are a lot different and I actually learned a bit.

I didn't shoot as good as I would have liked but I still kept my bullets on the target. I am going to feel more comfortable knowing my pistol is not out where everyone knows I have it. My choice concealed weapon is a Springfield XDS 45 cal.

We don't have open carry in Florida. Just concealed and the weapon cannot paint when worn. I actually think this is better anyway. It allows for tactical surprise against an aggressor who is not expecting to have a weapon pointed at his midsection almost instantly.
When an attacker sees an openly carried weapon, it gives them the chance to plan an attack that includes TAKING that weapon.
I never leave the house without my Glock, carried concealed and chambered.

Congrats.

Remember, situational awareness is just as important as carrying and shooting well. You made a fine choice for a concealed carry handgun, IMO.

Keep your head on a swivel and stay safe!

I have a concealed carry permit but a year after I got it, NH passed a law that the permit is no longer needed. I want my $10 back, lol

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I was carrying a full size 1911, but the weight would pull my pants off after a while!:D So now I keep it in the pack and carry a Ruger LCP .380 in my pocket.

When I'm detecting I carry my .38, but I prefer the combat commander .45 for most other times. NY only has concealed carry so the .38 is easy to carry in a pocket.

I have a concealed carry permit but a year after I got it, NH passed a law that the permit is no longer needed. I want my $10 back, lol

LOL 10.00?? The class was 99.00, had to use THEIR ammo for the indoor range 24.00 for 50 rounds. Background check and permit 115.00 and a 15.00 charge to take your fingerprints. Permit is good for 5 years but they make sure you get hit with fee after fee here.

They said you had to hit the target 30 times and needed to count 30 bullet holes. Obviously they trusted that I hit it that many times because you are not going to count my bullet holes.

I have a full size S&W 4506 I carried when I was a state cop. Just a tad big for me to conceal.

I guess they copied Vermont.
Marvin

Congrats on your permit Scuba!

Wish it didn’t cost so much and be so difficult in my state, where they want everyone disarmed.

Nice shooting and again, congrats!

Here in TN we carry open or concealed. Our permit is just called a carry permit. At my age, 73, carrying open can be a problem. Young fellows think you are an easy mark and use a sneak attack to take your firearm. So I carry concealed. I usually carry a Bersa .40. You can carry it with one in the chamber, put the safety on and it uncocks the hammer. Take the safety back off and you have a double action pistol for the first shot.

Glad this came up. I've been carrying for a long time. I've thought about how MD'ing can hamper your situational awareness, and am wondering about how to mitigate that.

In Scuba's case, I think the best thing would be a partner. Of course, how likely is that when we make spur of the moment hunts? Head on a swivel, for sure.

As I said in a MD group on Facebook regarding this kind of matter....

Buy a black windbreaker and have "HSI" printed in big white letters on the back. Wear it while you're detecting. Nefarious individuals will see that and think you are some kind of Law Enforcement....maybe searching for a weapon or body, and keep away from you! If anyone should actually ask what agency that stands for, you just tell them "Historical Scene Investigator"! Solved! LOL!

As I said in a MD group on Facebook regarding this kind of matter....

Buy a black windbreaker and have "HSI" printed in big white letters on the back. Wear it while you're detecting. Nefarious individuals will see that and think you are some kind of Law Enforcement....maybe searching for a weapon or body, and keep away from you! If anyone should actually ask what agency that stands for, you just tell them "Historical Scene Investigator"! Solved! LOL!

What good does the windbreaker do? I would rather be carrying my Taurus or CZ 40, they are more effective.

What good does the windbreaker do? I would rather be carrying my Taurus or CZ 40, they are more effective.

I believe his point it to wear the windbreaker in conjunction with carrying. The idea is that the jacket is just another layer of protection, to fool someone into thinking you're an official, who is less likely to be ambushed.

I was carrying a full size 1911, but the weight would pull my pants off after a while!:D So now I keep it in the pack and carry a Ruger LCP .380 in my pocket.

I too, acquired a 380 to carry PT738, man although I'm unsure about the energy of the round but it is 100 times more comfortable to carry.

Another thought. I haven't used headphones before, but my thinking would be that in a bad area, they probably aren't a good idea. You'd just be reducing an already important sense even more, in terms of situational awareness.

Back
Top Bottom