Compadre discrimination

JoeRU

Hello all
Question regarding the discrimination on the Tesoro Compadre. Took mine into the backyard today, and it seemed much "chirpier" than usual. The ground is littered with junk metal so I have to at least disc out iron. It seems usually this eliminates nails, etc. but today all the iron still gave off a bunch of chirps, clicks, etc., even with disc set way up. It did eliminate any solid tones from the iron, but shouldn't high disc eliminate the sound altogether? Solid targets like coins still gave great signals, but I found that I was getting fooled more than I had the past few times.

The only other possible explanation is that I finally got a pair of decent headphones, so I could just be noticing it more. But I guess my question is, is it normal for iron and such to still give off broken, chirpy sounds when disc'd out?

Thanks for any help!
Joe

Yes , its normal to still hear the disc'd iron. But broken or choppy/scratchy sounds lets you know its usually just iron , disc dont always silent unwanted items it just lets you identify them by sound. The problem with setting the disc too high though is it can make your gold sound like that too. Most gold comes in around the nickel range so if you set the disc so that nickels still sound good and then back the disc off just a hair from that you should be about right for finding "most" gold with enough disc to give you the broken or scratchy tones on iron. Discriminating metals is different from notching them out completely like you can with other detectors so that you dont hear them.

Ok cool, thanks for the reply. I think these new headphones are just much louder and clearer, and I'm probably picking up a bunch more with them .

Its possible the sounds just stand out more so you notice them better but it is normal. The disc will usually knock out some of the iron but not all of it. The important thing is if the disc is set right your sounds will help you identify your target.

If you are saying that you have the disc. on max and you are still getting sounds from small iron I would be that it is the sensitivity set a bit too high. It will chirp on large iron though.

Iron will always be a plague to us, it rusts, and seeps into the surrounding dirt. Iron oxide (the rust) still conducts electricity, just not as well, and gives a different signal. Something like 17 different oxides of iron, commonly used in paints and pigments. Iron is still going to slip past, even on very expensive machines. My backyard is a nail mine, pull a handful out almost every time I hunt it, usually a few in every hole. Most are around 8" deep. I have to stand up, rescan the hole, several times, to see if there was a better target still in there, and keep looking with the pinpointer, until it's clean.

If in a trashy spot, slow it down. I found the Compadre to be much chirpier if it's swung too fast for the conditions.

My default setting was just below nickel, and digging the more rounded signals.

Ok cool, thanks for the reply. I think these new headphones are just much louder and clearer, and I'm probably picking up a bunch more with them .

i tried using headphones and actually prefer to not use them with my Cibola.there are times that i think the Cibola is acting up so i just install a new battery.not sure whether that truly clears it up but it does become more pleasant regarding the unusual activity.

I am still learning the Cibola so I am just throwing the above out there.

Is it specifically your backyard? Do you also experience that when hunting trashy/iron infested areas? In addition to the helpful comments about big iron still bleeding through, I also experienced something similar to what you described early on with my Compadre. Took me a while to figure out as newcomer -- but that noise was EMI! All of the power lines, cable, etc are all strung on poles that cross the backyards for the most part. There was a huge difference from the front yard to the backyard. Just a thought.

I use both the 5.75" and 8" coils (two Compadres)...the 8" seems a wee bit more susceptible to EMI.

Back
Top Bottom