Treating Your Coil With Truck Bed Liner

I asked minelabdealer, and he said it would not void the warranty, since the liner material can be scraped off. He advised against doing it, though, as it could interfere with coil performance.

Did you ask him how/why? I can see someone spraying an inch thick coating on and losing some depth, but who does that? I gotta go to Wally World tomorrow anyway for some dog treats/food, gonna check out what (if anything) is listed on the can that might interfere with a coils performance. Maybe I'm missing something.......

Dusty

There was another member here recently that sprayed his coil with this stuff and didn't realize it had metal in it.... it made his Whites detector false almost uncontrollably...

<D>

Did you ask him how/why? I can see someone spraying an inch thick coating on and losing some depth, but who does that? I gotta go to Wally World tomorrow anyway for some dog treats/food, gonna check out what (if anything) is listed on the can that might interfere with a coils performance. Maybe I'm missing something.......

Dusty

I just picked up a can from Tractor Supply. PlastiKote Bed Liner
Contains: Acetone, Toluene, Xlene, Ethylbenzene and Dioctyl Phthalate.

Sounds more like a good fire starter. NO smoking around this when applying!!!

One thing I missed at the store.
Sand all areas to be painted with #80 to #180 grit sandpaper. I will skip that step.

HH All

I just picked up a can from Tractor Supply. PlastiKote Bed Liner
Contains: Acetone, Toluene, Xlene, Ethylbenzene and Dioctyl Phthalate.

Sounds more like a good fire starter. NO smoking around this when applying!!!

One thing I missed at the store.
Sand all areas to be painted with #80 to #180 grit sandpaper. I will skip that step.

HH All

I think I'll call NED and see if I can get some additinal info.....maybe I can score a deal on something while I'm on the phone!!!:lol:

Dusty

Great idea! Would this work on the MD Shaft?

I think I'll do exactly as you have on my 10x12 SEF Butterfly coil. I'm curious if this would work on the MD shaft -- not so much to protect it from wear 'n tear, but to water proof it. Love to hear your thoughts
diggin4$$$$ out on Guam (We have a lot of salt spray out here as you might imagine)

Have you experienced the bedliner causing any type of signal issues ?? Plastic covers are a pain especially at the beach...great idea though..

Performance

I wondered how this would impact performance also but it probably wouldn't impact it any more than the plastic cover so I see no real drawback in it. Mine will be getting this treatment soon! Thanks for the video! :dingding:

I wondered how this would impact performance also but it probably wouldn't impact it any more than the plastic cover so I see no real drawback in it. Mine will be getting this treatment soon! Thanks for the video! :dingding:

You're very welcome! Glad you liked it.

Test

I would think one way to test if this process impacts performance would be to spray some on a non-metallic surface and go over it with your detector, if it has metal in it it should be easy to determine. Correct me if this is wrong, thanks.

So I realize I'm commenting on a very old thread but I just did this DIY earlier today and used your idea of testing the spray on a non-metallic surface... Actually 3 of them just to make sure. None of them made my coil beep so I applied 15 lights coats over the course of 3 hours or so and I think it turned out quite well. I'll try to get a decent picture tonight, otherwise I'll posted a finished picture tomorrow.

I would think one way to test if this process impacts performance would be to spray some on a non-metallic surface and go over it with your detector, if it has metal in it it should be easy to determine. Correct me if this is wrong, thanks.

I used bedliner from Home Depot on my 8.5x11 DD coil for my ATP. works great.

Only issue - after 9 hours of hunting there were some dings and chips on the liner - but not on the coil itself. I cleaned the bottom of the coil and re-applied the bedliner. Works fine still. No interference.

I would caution anyone when re-applying bedliner - obviously make SURE there is NO dirt on the coil before re-applying. Could cause problems in the future. Other than that, all good.

No more buying coil covers.

I used this stuff on a motorcycle gas tank and really liked the look, and it's one of the few things in a rattle can that is solvent (gas) resistant. I also just picked up a big rolling tool box with a few rust spots that I intend to sand, prime, and cover with bedliner as well. Good, durable stuff.

So I know I said I'd reply back with a picture but it looks the exact same, just slightly more bumpy. It didn't mess with any signals as far as I can tell and cleans up quite well with a couple dips in some warm water.

Back
Top Bottom