Magnet Fishing

kireta

Forum Supporter
I just bought my nephew and I two eighty pound water retrieval magnets from harbor freight. This will beat those winter blues as I live next to the Ohio River!!Who knows what we will be pulling out of that river,anything goes!!! They were very cheap also. Im going to buy some really tough rope and have at it.Sometimes old iron is treas:shock:ure!!!

So what, you just chuck the mag into the river and pull it back? Dang that sound like work! Do you use a winch on a quad or anything? I have never heard of doing this.:?: Keep us posted on anything you pull out, could be interesting.

Yes you throw it in and pull or troll with it. The magnet doesnt way eighty pounds, that is its pull or pick up weight. I did it before and found some cool stuff and just stopped fro some reason.Going out again as soon as it arrives.:D

Sounds like a good idea except, what happens when your magnet attaches to say, a large object and no amount of pulling frees it. Lose the magnet? Keep us posted.

Sounds like a good idea except, what happens when your magnet attaches to say, a large object and no amount of pulling frees it. Lose the magnet? Keep us posted.
It will pull free..80 lbs of force will either pull the object up or the magnet will simply let go.
Of course should the magnet get hung up on something then it is just like regular fishing. You may bust it loose or it may stay hung up forever. The strength of the rope will determine how much pulling force you can exert on the hung up magnet.
If the rope it tied to the bow of a boat and the boat is allowed to drift downstream of the magnet then the current and your motor pulling in reverse will exert plenty of force to bust the magnes loose from most anything it should get tangled up in.
I have cut off hundreds of dollars of anchors that have gotten hung up on something here on the Columbia river. It could happen anytime you toss something overboard.

Maybe you will catch a fish with a previously hooked hook in it's mouth.:laughing:
Do you have to put wieght on the mag to get it to go down?

When I'm not dirt fishing or fish fishing, I magnet fish. It's a ton of fun and I've found lots of tools, knives, bait buckets, folding chairs, even a prop! When the fish aren't biting, I get out my trusty magnet and always come up with something.

I have been doing this for a couple years now with some buddies of mine. One time we were out near Berlin at a local fishing spot and we started pulling out artillery rounds grenades, machine gun barrels, pieces of helmets and lots of other things. I had a magnet from HB but it was very weak it was the 120 pounder....

Just think of those that live in Canada. I bet there are plenty of toonies & loonies to pick up! ........see ya yardhunter

I have been reading that the harbor freight magnets are too weak so I sprung for those circular rare earth magnets that have 350 pound pull.About thirty bucks.They are extremely powerful and could take off a finger easily.Im going to our local marina with it.

Hey kireta, where, other than HF, can I get one of these rare earth magnets??? Only on the internet, or do they sell them at any big name stores?

And does the magnet have to be waterproof? If not, then HF has a 250 lb magnet.

Back
Top Bottom