Ok what gives??? CRH Question

scout23

Elite Member
So I tried coin roll hunting since it's frozen outside. Well I went to the bank and got 8 rolls of quarters. Got home and found one 1962 quarter out of 320 coins. then I returned them next day and got 8 more rolls, not one pre 64. Returned those and tried 8 more, not one stinkin pre 64. So is there some secret to finding the right rolls at banks or is this how it goes. Checking almost 1000 coins and only one pre 64. PS I wanted halves but 3 local banks were completely out. Any advice would be appreciated Thanks Tom.

Try ordering a box of halves. I've done two the last two weeks got 1 silver and 3 40% silver. It seems people have more luck since they don't get circulated as much.

Take that silver Washie and run like a thief. They are exceedingly rare in circulation. Try pennies. There are always a few wheaties around. Or dimes. I've been averaging 1 or 2 silver dimes per 1,000 searched. Not much, I know, but its better than waiting for spring.

You did really well by finding that silver Washington in your first set of rolls! I'd say finding one in the 24 rolls you searched isn't bad. I agree with GTP that your best bet is half-dollars. But even there don't expect to be pulling out silver all the time.

The heyday of roll hunting is over. When I was a kid in the 80s I could find wheats in evey few rolls, and silvers weren't super hard to find either (not easy but nowhere near as rare as now). Heck, you'd still find some in pocket change now and then instead of once in a blue moon like today.

I cannot even recall how many rolls of halves I have searched... and NEVER found a silver half. I have (at least temporarily) given up on CRH.... until the frustration wears off. RickO

I have Always done good with Halves, dimes I find about 2-4 in each box, I don't bother with quarters because there the easiest to spot and hard to find. I haven't tried nickels yet.

Just go to your local bank and ask them to order you a $500 box of Halves. Its free of charge. It should take a few days to come in. They will give you a call when they arrive. Just go and pick them up. I have searched through about 15 or so Halve Boxes with GREAT success! I have only gotten skunked on 2 boxes! Good Luck!

Thanks for the information. I guess I had high expectations, and thought I would have had better luck. But now I'll try ordering some and see where that goes.

I talked to a bank teller the other day she said the the fed now only takes halves in bags they are now taking all the halves they can to find the silver for themselves so when when you get fed rolls they will most likely be no silver in them unless they have been rolled before they started taking the silver for themselves and have been in the vault for some time somewhere. Dimes are now your best there not taking the dimes yet there machines that count and roll are not doing that for dimes yet not cost effective to retrofit the machines yet. your best chance to get silver halves now is to get home rolled coins from the bank but the bank I was getting them from unrolls them as soon as they get them and puts them in bags to send to the fed . :(:mad::(:mad::(:mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom