Tesoro Silver uMax question depth question

Morton'sBattery

Yes its me again and I have another question regarding depth.
First Id like to say thanks to all that have suggested things to me and I really have started to learn the language that my Tesoro speaks. :)
Its been great fun.

Now to my question.
I ask this because ive proven that my detector is only getting about 4 inches average on coins. Ive found lots of stuff but am a little disappointed to find this fact out.

What kind of coin depth are most people getting on their stock coil?

As I'm sure people will ask, I will elaborate on how Ive come to the conclusion of 4 inches.
Numerous times I have gotten solid hits which I thought were coins (and turned out to be coins).
I have dig out a good plug that was solid and about 5-6 inches deep. I have layed the plug top side down and swept over the plug from the bottom and got NO signal at all from the target. At that point I turned the plug over (top side up) and swept the plug and got a solid signal. Upon recovering the coin, it turned out to be only an inch or two from the surface of the plug.
Obviously, since the detector gave me no signal at all from sweeping the plug from the bottom I concur that the plug's thickness from bottom to the coin was too far for the detector to pick up the coin.
I hope all this makes sense and this hasnt happened just one time. This has been many many times. Id guess well over 10 times. Of course when the plug was less thick I got signals.

Do i really need the 12x10 to get deep coins? Or a different detector?

I've only used my Silver uMax a few times, but I've got at least 6 inches on coins using the stock coil. I set the discrimination at about the 11 o'clock position (just above foil) and sensitivity at 8. The first day out with it i got two chains (one silver) and a silver ring along with some clad. I dug coins at 6" at least ... maybe some deeper. Florida soil is low in mineralization though, so that could be the difference.

Around here I can usually run the sensitivity at 9 or even 10 and the disc. on FOIL....so I should be going even deeper than you say you are.

Are you sure youre getting 6"?

I believe you will find all the answers to your questions in this booklet.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/documents/DankowskiIntelligence5thed.pdf

You have a very good chance your tesoro silver is fine but conditions of the hunting area are the problem
Denny

Yes its me again and I have another question regarding depth.
First Id like to say thanks to all that have suggested things to me and I really have started to learn the language that my Tesoro speaks. :)
Its been great fun.

Now to my question.
I ask this because ive proven that my detector is only getting about 4 inches average on coins. Ive found lots of stuff but am a little disappointed to find this fact out.

What kind of coin depth are most people getting on their stock coil?

As I'm sure people will ask, I will elaborate on how Ive come to the conclusion of 4 inches.
Numerous times I have gotten solid hits which I thought were coins (and turned out to be coins).
I have dig out a good plug that was solid and about 5-6 inches deep. I have layed the plug top side down and swept over the plug from the bottom and got NO signal at all from the target. At that point I turned the plug over (top side up) and swept the plug and got a solid signal. Upon recovering the coin, it turned out to be only an inch or two from the surface of the plug.
Obviously, since the detector gave me no signal at all from sweeping the plug from the bottom I concur that the plug's thickness from bottom to the coin was too far for the detector to pick up the coin.
I hope all this makes sense and this hasnt happened just one time. This has been many many times. Id guess well over 10 times. Of course when the plug was less thick I got signals.

Do i really need the 12x10 to get deep coins? Or a different detector?

Was your coil maybe an inch or two above the plug when you turned it over and could it have been on it's side? If it was an inch or two above the coil, that would mean a total of 6". At a school yard I got a faint signal and it turned out to be a penny at a MEASURED 7" under the swings. I thought it was an overrun caused by change in minerals at first, then realized that it was a short "coin" signal. Just two days ago, I ran a test with the Silver and found coins another detector missed and most of these were at 4". Try an air test on a quarter away from all metals and with no jewelry on your hands and let us know the result. Thanks.

I have had several Tesoro's and all of them would hit a coin at least 6 inches deep. Maybe the ground in your part of the world is highly mineralized or maybe coins in the places that you are hunting aren't any deeper than what you are getting. Do you have a friend/someone you know that has a detector that can go on a hunt with you - if so compare your findings with his/hers. Steve.

The ground definitely makes a big difference with my Tesoro Silver Umax. I can detect in red clay type soil and maybe get 4 to 6 inches if I'm lucky, then I can move to the nice rich dark dirt and get 8 to 10" and deeper depending on the size of the target, so dirt makes the difference.

Back to the Silver UMax

I bought a Silver in late August 08..Same questions.. The sensitivity dial makes a big difference in ground. Not too much in air.So, go as high as you can. Foil setting is above iron, get a small rusty nail, and set your discrimination just above the point where you cancel the nail when it is buried an inch down.Small GOLD rings hide in the foil area. could mean you are missing them....In a "clean" area, where the digging is easy, volley ball court, well worked tot lot,,,,,go "all metal"...In most VB courts, "all metal" may get you down to the black cloth under the sand. I have a 5.75 coil" for the Silver.Used it about an hour in a tot lot.Not impressed with it so far.Actually, not enough experience.... Does get closer to the metal poles, and that enabled me to find two items the guy before me missed..If you need more depth and want to chance ruining your Silver, there are instructions on how to ground balance it on another forum..We all want more depth..Learn the machine, it is a sleeper ,and will give quite a few more expensive detectors a run for the money..Cordially NAD

I bought a Silver in late August 08..Same questions.. The sensitivity dial makes a big difference in ground. Not too much in air.So, go as high as you can. Foil setting is above iron, get a small rusty nail, and set your discrimination just above the point where you cancel the nail when it is buried an inch down.Small GOLD rings hide in the foil area. could mean you are missing them....In a "clean" area, where the digging is easy, volley ball court, well worked tot lot,,,,,go "all metal"...In most VB courts, "all metal" may get you down to the black cloth under the sand. I have a 5.75 coil" for the Silver.Used it about an hour in a tot lot.Not impressed with it so far.Actually, not enough experience.... Does get closer to the metal poles, and that enabled me to find two items the guy before me missed..If you need more depth and want to chance ruining your Silver, there are instructions on how to ground balance it on another forum..We all want more depth..Learn the machine, it is a sleeper ,and will give quite a few more expensive detectors a run for the money..Cordially NAD
Well said NAD. Ground balancing the Silver isn't hard but is more tricky than a Tesoro with a threshold sound. Steve.

Back
Top Bottom