Night soil collectors.(England)

Doug

Elite Member
On one particular farm there are several fields which show evidence of night soil collecting that have been spread over the fields in times gone by.

I have left out of the photographs the pieces of lead and small pieces of unknown metal and buttons.

Thanks for looking...........Doug.

"During Victorian times, people didn’t have flushing toilets so men came around every week with a horse and cart.

They collected the contents of the toilets or privies as they called them.

These people were called ‘Nightsoil Men’. They collected their ‘Night Soil’ on horses and carts as in the photograph here."

Historical photographs.
23lnyns.jpg

2vmyryh.jpg

One of the fields, stream to my left.

2epitxw.jpg

Artifact's.
md1nqf.jpg

Somerset light infantry badge 2nd left (part),fairy found just inside the gateway!
r27nsj.jpg

Coins.
2i1h6jd.jpg

Cricket badge.
efm06q.jpg

Edward 1st (1272-1307) silver penny.
20sek2o.jpg

2crplp4.jpg

People in England need to be more careful about not swallowing metal objects. They must have had some serious bowel problems after passing all those metal objects

In pic #1 the guys are standing in it :shock: :roll:

That's what I would call really getting into your work ! :lol:

Very cool finds though ! And all that " night soil " is just random organic matter by now , even though I don't think I would be brave enough to dig through it :umno:

Well, that certainly explains why theres metal scattered all over in old farm fields! I suppose a guy could look at a map or even satellite/topo try to figure the easiest routes of the nightsoilers to haul it out of town for the offload?

One would think a guy hauling a full wagon load of waste would prefer to travel downhill and downwind of the town within a few miles?? Someplace with a nearby stream to water the poor horses and perhaps clean up in even!?

I cant imagine hauling a wagon load of !!!! uphill for very long once the Sun came up! Great old historic photos and post there Doug!
Mud

Firstly an apology.

I posted a reply with a thank you last night but I have to assume I did not hit the 'submit' button!

Once again thank you for your kind comments and views on this post.

I have several farms that have night soil fields on them and under normal search conditions the give away is the amount of metal finds that can come up on a single search session.

The other clue can be the amount of surface pottery.

To-date I have had four gold coins that have been found on night soil fields which possibly may have got into the fields with the night soil activity in days past.

Doug.

Typical night soil field finds.
2e508dw.jpg

2ufeh6x.jpg

10f53s4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom