Son's Ace 250 Quits Sounding

Flux101

Hey folks, new member, looking for some help with my son's Ace 250.

The other night it quit working. Everything seems to work (display, buttons, speaker) except it doesn't detect anything. I replaced the batteries, did the reset (holding power button down). It does work randomly for short periods of time - the other night it worked great for about 2 hours.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's out of warranty but I am pretty decent with electronics repair (auto mechanic). I am suspecting it's the coil as I did some Googling and found that the coil resistance to the primary winding (pins 1 and 4) should be 4 ohms and the secondary (pins 2 and 3) 38 ohms. Pin number 5 is a shield. Could someone with an Ace 150/250 verify that is the correct values by measuring thiers? I am getting a reading of 222 ohms on the primary winding.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Jay

Well that's strange ..... it worked perfectly all day today AND he found three 10k gold rings (looped together) today searching our local park with a friend.

I wonder if the weather was quite cool if that may have had a negative effect on the batteries? It can push down their voltage until they warm up. Best wishes.

Well I would try wiggling the coil's wire. Down at the coil and at the box.

Your problem don't sound like a bad coil.

May try tapping the coil with detector on-gently.

Might douvle check for corrosion on where the batteries make contact.

Try tapping on the detector's box.

Has it been dropped or anything?????

Also inspect the pins on box and coil harness....

Don't know anyone with another to swap coils????
Will a 150's work???

And since warranty is up, might consider opening it up==might be something obvious.

Had a GTA 300 did that and it was in the headphone jack/speaker wiring-if that makes sense. Had to find the broken wire. I may want my Ace to mess up. I haven't found a gold ring in a while.:laughing:

Just a thought, but were you near high power lines when you had the problem?

Back
Top Bottom