• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Colonial/Civ site again

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
Spent some more time in one of my better sites that produces Colonial and Civil War stuff. I think I am coming to the point where the main site is tapped out and now I am circling the edges to find stuff. There is still an insane amount of flat buttons here; anyone else ever find so many? I think I am up to 50 or 60 now in a ~50ft area. Also found a weird flat lead piece that looks like it's been trimmed on one end and a minie ball that looks like it was turned into an arrow head. The coin fits the size of my other Large Cents I found nearby, but it's worn flat. Thanks for looking.

Hey EmuDetector

Does the large lead item you found happen to be a smashed lead cup or is it a smashed bullet?

It's hard to tell from the pictures but I've dug a couple small lead cups that were used to measure out drams of powder for the flintlocks.

Thanks!

So it definitely has the 3 rings on the side from being a minie ball. I know it's too heavy to use as an arrowhead, but it is smashed like someone formed it to that shape. There was a creek nearby, maybe an attempt at a spear tip? Still a soft metal to do that with. There's no machinery or field work in the area for something to chew it up, definitely a weirder find.

When I get home tonight I'll throw some more pictures of it up

I always wondered how they lost so many buttons. Hard work I guess. My best is around 20 from a small colonial site. But not a single coin....yet!

I always wondered how they lost so many buttons. Hard work I guess. My best is around 20 from a small colonial site. But not a single coin....yet!

Thanks for the input! I have seen a few finds photos where it seems like others have gotten a lot as well. It just seems like someone must have been running around naked at this point!

Cool stuff. Looks like you got into a little button patch.
I really like that flattened cleaner too.

Cool stuff. Looks like you got into a little button patch.
I really like that flattened cleaner too.

Thanks! The funny part is the buttons are almost all in a row along the ground. Must have been a popular short walking route or someone dropping things!

Back
Top Bottom