Is it possible to shield a metal object from detection

cookinggood

Forum Supporter
Is it possible to shield a metal object from detection with a metal detector?
Say you had a box ($100) of nickels which weighs about 18 lb and you wanted to hide it at about 24" underground, is there anything other than picking a good location and seeding the area with metal objects, or placing the object near another larger metal object, that you can do, to defeat a metal detector from finding it?

I found a steel ring at 17". You can't hide that much metal from being detected, I would build a dog house over it. Even if you don't have a dog. Or put it under your yard shed. Or plant a huge pricker bush directly above the coins.

Have not done it but i am sure it can be done . With not much effort.

Read under the mask and silent masking on NASA Tom D s site.

bury the plastic container deep....then pour 8 inches of concrete with rebar in it over it and put yer barn on the concrete! No one with a metal detector will ever find it cause of the rebar. Oh, yeah, and dump in some short pieces of rebar in the hole as you bury it! HA HA

Is it possible to shield a metal object from detection with a metal detector?
Say you had a box ($100) of nickels which weighs about 18 lb and you wanted to hide it at about 24" underground, is there anything other than picking a good location and seeding the area with metal objects, or placing the object near another larger metal object, that you can do, to defeat a metal detector from finding it?
Not when the military can find submarines from outer space, not with magnetic anomaly detectors, not with ground penetrating radar, not with acoustical receivers.
You can make it more difficult to get to the area or make enough of a diversion but if the right people had the right equipment its not possible unless you cached something in an old diamond mine and then nuked the entrance.

My grandpa used to put Diesel stickers on his gas tractors and it seemed to keep people from stealing the gas from them.

If I detected around one of these posts I know that I would not dig even if it hit good.

Also, bury some cable at about 12" so if someone digs, the cable is the first thing they hit.

http://www.electricnet.com/article.mvc/FlexPost-Markers-Protect-Underground-Assets-A-0001

53A.jpg

Not when the military can find submarines from outer space, not with magnetic anomaly detectors, not with ground penetrating radar, not with acoustical receivers.
You can make it more difficult to get to the area or make enough of a diversion but if the right people had the right equipment its not possible unless you cached something in an old diamond mine and then nuked the entrance.

The humor on this site is great! "He is Al-Kiada" cracked me up.
So I guess lead would not shield nickel or iron from detection?
I am not sure if it is the same thing, magnetic fields? but I tried to shield the arms on a spot welder one time with lead and stainless but it did not work. You could hold a steel wrench between the arms horizontally and when you made the spot weld the wrench would move parallel with the arms with a lot of force.
I don't use the spot welder that often but when I do I stand back!

shielding

The humor on this site is great!
So I guess lead would not shield nickel or iron from detection?
I am not sure if it is the same thing, magnetic fields? but I tried to shield the arms on a spot welder one time with lead and stainless but it did not work. You could hold a steel wrench between the arms horizontally and when you made the spot weld the wrench would move parallel with the arms with a lot of force.
I don't use the spot welder that often but when I do I stand back!

Lead is still metal. It also hits in the mid range where gold and nickle are. So.......any detectorist will probably dig lead.

If you want to hide money, I suggest you hide something more valueable than nickles lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work in antenna design long ago and we used lots of stuff called echosorb to totally suck all Rf in our test chambers and to shield the mixers and such. That stuff should do the trick. Most of ours was like this but we also had blocks and thin sheets of it as well. That's what I'd use if I could find it for public use. martin

Attachments

• 200px-Anechoic_chamber_wall.jpg
    200px-Anechoic_chamber_wall.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 12,956
That looks like the stuff they use in some recording studios. Might be a place to start looking.

Hey, send it to me and you'll never see again.... I mean you'll never find it.... I mean no one will be able to find it! Interesting problem to have. I like to look at my coin collection and I like to spend the rest. Other big metal in the area would add enough frustration and confusion to keep folks out of it. An unlikely spot or hard to hunt spot would be good. Most folks like to detect the easy spots.

Till up the soil over it and spread around a box of steel washers and 25 crushed pop cans.

Bury it deep and then plant a fast growing tree over it detectors and radar will not be able to go over the area after the tree grows and the tree will always mark your spot but you will have to cut down a tree and dig up the root wad later so make sure you can get to it with a back hoe or plan on working your but off to retreive.

Put wifi and electrical wires near it. The interference will make it difficult to operate a metal detector.

Back
Top Bottom