Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 AM
Steve Steve is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: port-a-potty-beach
Posts: 3,871
Default Sovereign GT air testing

Have been playing around with a new Sovereign GT. In discriminate mode I can only manage around 6".... But in all metal mode I'm getting close to 2ft. This thing is air testing as good or better than my Dual Field. Is the 6" in discriminate mode normal? Or can it fluctuate from unit to unit? 6" will never find gold on the beaches I hunt.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 AM
stewart73's Avatar
stewart73 stewart73 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pretty far away...
Posts: 4,987
Default

What's the sensitivity set at? Depending on the target and the sensitivity level (and the mineral content of the sand) the GT should definitely get more than 6" in real conditions. Air tests are kind of fun but don't always translate into real world results...you'll probably get a better idea of how it's gonna work by taking a few targets down to the beach and burying them at different depths. Either way, the GT is an awesome beach machine!

__________________
Etrac with NEL coils and Gray Ghosts, Excal II with OBN's Amphibians, Whites DF, Stavrscoop, Lesche, Garrett PP.

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Stunmi's Avatar
Stunmi Stunmi is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 1,488
Default

Do you have the sensitivity turned just off the click of the auto setting? It works backwards from say the volume knob... Also discrim and notch turned all the way to the left, at about 7 o'clock?

__________________
Sovereign GT 13" Ultimate hip/backpack mount, Xterra 305 6" 18.75kHz, Compadre 8"

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM
Cfmct's Avatar
Cfmct Cfmct is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SW Connecticut
Posts: 31,787
Default

I do not believe in air testing for any machine.. What your actual depth is will be greater in the ground...


These are my settings I rarely change them and if I do change them its just the

10 when I am working stable wet sand, 12 when I take it in the water that is it.
Attached Images
 

__________________
Excalibur1000
Sunspot Scoop 720i Hybrid
Whites MXT All Pro
Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers 991

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Steve Steve is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: port-a-potty-beach
Posts: 3,871
Default

thanks guys, will give it a try.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Stunmi's Avatar
Stunmi Stunmi is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 1,488
Default

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
I do not believe in air testing for any machine.. What your actual depth is will be greater in the ground...


These are my settings I rarely change them and if I do change them its just the

10 when I am working stable wet sand, 12 when I take it in the water that is it.
Yes but who doesn't do a quick air test with a new machine? If I was only getting 6" I would also be concerned with my machine or the settings and would get it figured out before wasting time and gas going to the beach!

__________________
Sovereign GT 13" Ultimate hip/backpack mount, Xterra 305 6" 18.75kHz, Compadre 8"

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Cfmct's Avatar
Cfmct Cfmct is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SW Connecticut
Posts: 31,787
Default

Originally Posted by Stunmi View post
Yes but who doesn't do a quick air test with a new machine? If I was only getting 6" I would also be concerned with my machine or the settings and would get it figured out before wasting time and gas going to the beach!
I don't

__________________
Excalibur1000
Sunspot Scoop 720i Hybrid
Whites MXT All Pro
Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers 991

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 AM
CTCurt's Avatar
CTCurt CTCurt is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 6,805
Default

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
I don't
I don't either. In my opinion, air testing tells me nothing......

__________________
Life is love and hard work, and nothing more....
Mxt,Excal,Ace250,PP,Lesche,sore knees
Proud member of "Ring Keepers"

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 AM
LordOfTheZincs's Avatar
LordOfTheZincs LordOfTheZincs is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Juan Island Washington
Posts: 3,095
Default

Air testing seems to be pretty accurate with my BH's but I don't think the gold digger or the lonestar pick up on the halo effect real well. You will get more depth from halo effect, so if a GT picks up the halo real well maybe an actual coin that has been buried for awhile can be picked up closer to 10"? Just a thought. Here's a good read for ya. http://www.njminerals.org/metaldetec...aloeffect.html
GL HH

__________________
Sent from my W T F surveillance van, via my AT Pro, using Tapatalk.

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 AM
73cj5's Avatar
73cj5 73cj5 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NE PA
Posts: 1,121
Default

The extent of my air testing is throwing a coin on the ground to check where the coil pinpoints.

You will know how deep it is after you start digging targets.............

__________________
Excal OBN Custom w/ WOT, S12, 10 BBS, Excal 1000 Blue Hip Mounted, Tesoro Sidewinder, Vaquero /CSC, Garret Propointer, Lesche Trowel, Sampson Shovel, STAVR Euroexcavator 2.2, RTG Travel Scoop

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Ra1der5's Avatar
Ra1der5 Ra1der5 is offline
Athletic Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,128
Default

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
These are my settings I rarely change them and if I do change them its just the 10 when I am working stable wet sand, 12 when I take it in the water that is it.
Just FYI... Craig's talking about the sensitivity setting here.

I just got the Sov also and I haven't air tested yet; but I will so I can learn the tones. My air tests for the CZ were pretty true. Tell us what settings you're using for all knobs.

__________________
Dia de los Muertos.

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Crumble's Avatar
Crumble Crumble is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,713
Default

I air test my machines all the time. While it doesn't give you accurate in ground depths, if does allow you to find the deepest settings.

Whether the machine can run at those max depth settings while swinging over salty wet sand is another story.

__________________
- NOX 800 - TDI - F1A4 - CZ 21 - Go Find 66 -

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Cfmct's Avatar
Cfmct Cfmct is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SW Connecticut
Posts: 31,787
Default

Originally Posted by Ra1der5 View post
Just FYI... Craig's talking about the sensitivity setting here.

I just got the Sov also and I haven't air tested yet; but I will so I can learn the tones. My air tests for the CZ were pretty true. Tell us what settings you're using for all knobs.

The tones you get air testing are irrelevant from the tones in the ground... in the ground you will have a halo affect except with high carat gold... there could be a piece of iron or some other worthless metal next to the gold and its going to sound strange or different... if it beeps dig it unless its a bottlecap I leave them for dirt guys who like to play in the sand

__________________
Excalibur1000
Sunspot Scoop 720i Hybrid
Whites MXT All Pro
Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers 991

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
imalookin2's Avatar
imalookin2 imalookin2 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chest Deep
Posts: 6,893
Default

Originally Posted by stephenscool View post
Have been playing around with a new Sovereign GT. In discriminate mode I can only manage around 6".... But in all metal mode I'm getting close to 2ft. This thing is air testing as good or better than my Dual Field. Is the 6" in discriminate mode normal? Or can it fluctuate from unit to unit? 6" will never find gold on the beaches I hunt.
ML BBS machines do not air test well. The coil needs to balance the computer for it to work. The only way I have found to air test is swing the coil across the beach and leave it on the sand. Pass your target ABOVE the coil. You can't air test those machines since they will not be tuned to the sand. The stock coil will hit gold at a foot or more in good sand. Bury a ring on a string and see.
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 01-10-2014, 03:44 PM
OBN's Avatar
OBN OBN is offline
OldCherryPicker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,919
Default

Although air testing is not a stander to go by for depth it is something that helps give you a idea if something is wrong, needs attention or a compare of like machines.



Something I will pass along that I did not know until recently, when you turn the machine on, there is a field around the coil, this field stays the same no matter what you adjust. SO when you adjust at the Pod or Box, that's where it is adjusted. Nothing changes at the coil. I'll be doing some testing soon on how the field changes with voltage. I'm ready to blow up something...going LiPo. Should be here in a week.
Attached Images
 

__________________
Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....84....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...132

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Hotrod Tom's Avatar
Hotrod Tom Hotrod Tom is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,885
Default

Originally Posted by oldbeechnut View post
Although air testing is not a stander to go by for depth it is something that helps give you a idea if something is wrong, needs attention or a compare of like machines.



Something I will pass along that I did not know until recently, when you turn the machine on, there is a field around the coil, this field stays the same no matter what you adjust. SO when you adjust at the Pod or Box, that's where it is adjusted. Nothing changes at the coil. I'll be doing some testing soon on how the field changes with voltage. I'm ready to blow up something...going LiPo. Should be here in a week.
Are you going to try running a GT at a higher battery voltage.

__________________
Excal,Excal II,Sovereign,Etrac,Barracuda PI,Whites DF PI,Garrett Ace 250

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Crumble's Avatar
Crumble Crumble is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,713
Default

Originally Posted by oldbeechnut View post
Although air testing is not a stander to go by for depth it is something that helps give you a idea if something is wrong, needs attention or a compare of like machines.



Something I will pass along that I did not know until recently, when you turn the machine on, there is a field around the coil, this field stays the same no matter what you adjust. SO when you adjust at the Pod or Box, that's where it is adjusted. Nothing changes at the coil. I'll be doing some testing soon on how the field changes with voltage. I'm ready to blow up something...going LiPo. Should be here in a week.
I ended up modding my Sovereign with a Turnigy 11.1v 3 cell 1450mah lipo (Pic below), it went pretty smoothly. I changed the battery pack connector to a female XT60 plug, then soldered the 2 wires for the male XT60 plug directly to the spring connectors on the Sovereign. I charge the Lipos with an Accucel 6 charger. These lipos charge to 12.6 volts.

I had bought some Rhino lipos first, but they were too thick to fit inside the battery compartment... with a little bubble wrap the Turnigy is a perfect fit, this is with an XS2.
Attached Images
  

__________________
- NOX 800 - TDI - F1A4 - CZ 21 - Go Find 66 -


Last edited by Crumble; 01-11-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 AM
OBN's Avatar
OBN OBN is offline
OldCherryPicker
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,919
Default Compare tranmit fields with different batteries

Very Cool Crumbles, I like!!



Excalibur first with 14.8 Volts 1300 mA 4c LiPo
Then the 1600mA NIMH BATTERY Onlybatterypack 12 V (Green)
Then the stock Minelab Battery 11.5 V
Then with Shauns AfterBurner coil AMP

Each I will measure at full and then 9.5

__________________
Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....84....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...132

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 AM
nse1956 nse1956 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Forked River, NJ
Posts: 131
Default

Originally Posted by Crumble View post
I ended up modding my Sovereign with a Turnigy 11.1v 3 cell 1450mah lipo (Pic below), it went pretty smoothly. I changed the battery pack connector to a female XT60 plug, then soldered the 2 wires for the male XT60 plug directly to the spring connectors on the Sovereign. I charge the Lipos with an Accucel 6 charger. These lipos charge to 12.6 volts.

I had bought some Rhino lipos first, but they were too thick to fit inside the battery compartment... with a little bubble wrap the Turnigy is a perfect fit, this is with an XS2.
thats a nice setup, what kind of run time do you get with those batteries?

__________________
in everything give thanks

Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 AM
eggyolk808's Avatar
eggyolk808 eggyolk808 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 28
Default

I'm looking at switching over to lipos as well and was wondering what kind of run times you guys normally get? Is it that much better than running AA's or the nimh pack?
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
value of air testing grinsebring All About Detectors 2 01-06-2013 10:04 PM
Testing...testing Aquaman Beach and Water Hunting 10 07-29-2012 10:32 PM
Some AT PRO air testing Detector All About Detectors 7 12-31-2010 02:04 AM
Testing... Tinky1878 Forum Help & Announcements 4 11-15-2008 10:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.